Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
Looking for a new Toyota subcompact in 2018: what will it cost in today's dollars?

Let's say I'm in the market for a new Toyota subcompact in 2018, likely a base model of some sort. Will there be a car that's even remotely similar to the 3rd gen. Yaris L with MT and hand-crank windows? What do you think will be Toyota's base-level offering for the U.S. market, and what do you think it will cost (in today's dollars)?

Of course, this is all just fun speculation. I'm curious what you think. Thanks.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
About hand crank windows.....

Although it was true that in years past PW mechanisms were heavy and sometimes prone to failure, modern PWs are lightweight and very reliable.

Actually, with HK windows that are seized with ice, too much force on the crank can be applied damaging the mechanisms. With PWs, only the proper/safe amount of force is ever applied .
I got HK windows in my '09 but, I wish that I had PW.

Manual gearboxes are anyone's guess .
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I think manual transmissions will always be around just so they can charge more for the automatics...
Old 07-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I think manual transmissions will always be around just so they can charge more for the automatics...
So do I if only as an aftermarket performance item fr certain apps.

However, as a option for the average grocery getter DD, they will disappear.

Sadly, the car has become just a means of transportation and not something to just enjoy driving .

Remember the "Stanly Steamer"? I t was intended to be just a fast sports car of the era... something to drive just for the fun of it.
It came from an era when cars were as much as an art form as an engineering marvel.

We need modern cars that are fun to drive including an MT......a car that is also an art form . We have let science and engineering take the beauty and soul out of things .

To use an aviation analogy, what F-16 pilot does not also love and yearn to fly in a vintage open cockpit bi plane, etc just for the sheer fun and enjoyment of flying by the "seat of his pants" ?

Last edited by RedRide; 07-09-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
ron3

Drives: 2012 yaris HB 5door LE auto.
Smile

Dealers don't want MT cars sitting on there lots, 95% of customers would not consider buying a car with MT. A large number of young people cannot even drive them.
I had to drive to a rural Toyota dealer 60 miles away to trade my 5 speed yaris on a automatic since the dealers around the city really did not want a 5 speed. I have a serious knee problem and cannot negotiate the clutch any longer.
I think the manual transmission is going the way of the manual choke, leaded gas, and carburetors.
I love to drive Manual trans, cars but the bottom line is modern automatics are just as fuel efficient, completely reliable, and much easier to drive and have a lot better trade in value. I think by 2018 a lot of the bells and whistles of todays cars will be standard.
Don.t want to flame anyone, just my 2 cents !
ron3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I guess in a way, it does make better sense to just offer an automatic transmission if 85% of the cars you sell happen to be auto trans. (from a company standpoint) though I thought that the manual trans' did pretty well in the yarii.

I will say that the enjoyment of driving is very dulled down in an auto. I really enjoy driving a stick shift and will probably pay extra in the future for one if that is what it takes. I have 2 cars, one auto, one manual.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #7
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
and what do you think it will cost (in today's dollars)?

Who the hell knows
Old 07-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
Actually, with HK windows that are seized with ice, too much force on the crank can be applied damaging the mechanisms. With PWs, only the proper/safe amount of force is ever applied
Fascinating. This never occurred to me. I can see why anyone in a winter climate like yours, year in and year out, would be quite keen about avoiding hand crank windows on vehicles they own.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #9
RedRide

It's not a reason to avoid HK windows, you just have to be aware of it.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Sadly, the car has become just a means of transportation and not something to just enjoy driving .
Do you think politically correct 'green-ness' has had much of an influence on this?

Quote:
We need modern cars that are fun to drive including an MT......a car that is also an art form . We have let science and engineering take the beauty and soul out of things .
These new many speed automatic transmissions may be responsible for better MPG, but I think it will remain to be seen how they fare re reliability.

Quote:
To use an aviation analogy, what F-16 pilot does not also love and yearn to fly in a vintage open cockpit bi plane, etc just for the sheer fun and enjoyment of flying by the "seat of his pants" ?
I almost became the son-in-law of a retired F-16 pilot who didn't have any sons and lived in the same city I did at the time. IMO, this analogy is 100 % correct.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
It's not a reason to avoid HK windows, you just have to be aware of it.
How many times during an average NY winter could/would such a freeze happen?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I guess in a way, it does make better sense to just offer an automatic transmission if 85% of the cars you sell happen to be auto trans. (from a company standpoint) though I thought that the manual trans' did pretty well in the yarii.

I will say that the enjoyment of driving is very dulled down in an auto. I really enjoy driving a stick shift and will probably pay extra in the future for one if that is what it takes. I have 2 cars, one auto, one manual.
On a different thread within the last week someone (I think it was RedRide) wrote something like 'with an automatic you just point the car', that I strongly agreed with. Your first sentence in the post above prompts me to examine more closely why I feel that way. It's because I grew up around a lot of car aficionados who had very pointed (some might say extreme) opinions about driving. The mindset was that driving an automatic was 'piggy' and undisciplined. I find it hard to shake this mindset.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron3 View Post
completely reliable
So sorry that you can no longer drive a manual .

Re 'completely reliable', I would put we members who know how to drive a manual and can make a clutch last up against one of these automatics and I'll bet 8-9 times out of ten one of us could log more miles without a clutch replacement (over varied terrain) than one of these 'completely reliable' automatic transmissions could without a repair.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
In 2001, I paid $12,600 for a decked out Echo. In 2010, I bought a Yaris sedan with power windows, cruise, and keyless entey for $13,700.

I don't see the 2018 being $14,800.

Last edited by Flipper_1938; 07-15-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:28 PM   #15
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Manual transmission will most likely disappear as ATs will never be as reliable due to the technology difference. This gives them higher profitability as the cars will break down eventually, so:
1) the owners will have them fixed
2) the owners will sell them and buy new ones
3) the non-owners will prefer brand new cars as compared to second-hand cars

Moving everyday cars (not sports cars) to AT makes a lot of sense to car manufacturers. Unless you're in a 3rd world country like the Philippines, don't get your hopes up to still get MT in your econoboxes by 2018-ish. (heck, even our TRD-line Vios/Yaris Sedan don't get MTs!)
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:23 PM   #16
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboy View Post
Manual transmission will most likely disappear as ATs will never be as reliable due to the technology difference. This gives them higher profitability as the cars will break down eventually, so:
1) the owners will have them fixed
2) the owners will sell them and buy new ones
3) the non-owners will prefer brand new cars as compared to second-hand cars

Moving everyday cars (not sports cars) to AT makes a lot of sense to car manufacturers. Unless you're in a 3rd world country like the Philippines, don't get your hopes up to still get MT in your econoboxes by 2018-ish. (heck, even our TRD-line Vios/Yaris Sedan don't get MTs!)
^^^^^ Exactly . I thought about those same three points when I was typing my previous post. I should have included those points. I also wondered (at that time) about MT cars being available for a longer period into the future in 3rd world countries. Thank you for your valuable perspective.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #17
Superfly
Makin' it rain

Drives: 2012 Silver Yaris LE
Figure each year the price increases a couple hundred bucks, so I'm assuming a three-tiered model offering will place the lowest model starting around 15.5k and the highest model topping off around 19.5k fully loaded. Manuals are out by then because CVT technology will be the most fuel-efficient pairing with the car.
Superfly is offline   Reply With Quote