Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #127
Kiteless

Drives: US 2007 Yaris Liftback 5MT
I keep my GPS (when not in use) the face for my head unit in it's case, and sometimes my iPod Touch. I also have a Dash Mat that completely hides the behind the wheel glove box so I figure my dead unit face is probably mostly safe in there. Will post pics when I can.

- Jason

Kiteless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #128
PROX4x4
1.5 or 2.5 both=0-60 in 8

Drives: 08 Toyota Yaris
Registration, insurance, etc.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #129
TRDMarty

Drives: Polar White 2008, 3Dr HB TRD '
I keep GLOVES in it !!!
Just like this guy clapping
TRDMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #130
Yaris240

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback 3d
I keep coins for parking meters in it. The 2nd generation Yaris hatchback is unique in having this driver's side glove compartment. It makes up for the center gauges. too bad the 3rd generation Yaris will not have this glove box.
Yaris240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:36 PM   #131
403RS
#yyc

Drives: BSP '07 RS 5dr LB
GPS, sunglasses, phone charger
403RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #132
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
I put my Yaesu FT-7800 control head for my ham radio in my compartment. It works pretty good .. the "radio" part of the radio is mounted in the rear liftback area.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #133
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
I dunno if this was said before but the most enjoyable way I "utilize" my driver's side glove box is to gloat in front of my non-Yaris owning friends. I like to show them the glove box behind the wheel (and the top box on the passenger's side) and hear them say, "wow, that's so cool!"

But mainly, I stick napkins in there for easy reach/access and gas station receipts.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #134
403RS
#yyc

Drives: BSP '07 RS 5dr LB
Dope stash, who am I kidding?
403RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #135
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I put my Yaesu FT-7800 control head for my ham radio in my compartment. It works pretty good .. the "radio" part of the radio is mounted in the rear liftback area.
Any chance you have some pics of that installation? What did you use to
mount the control head inside? What kind of antenna are you using?
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:14 AM   #136
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
The way some people are replying i'm starting to think maybe we arent talking about the small compartment under the drink holder at the left knee location, have i missed a functional glove box in my 08 sedan on the dash where the instruments usually reside on most cars? if so how do you open it..
Any pics of the glove box in question?
This is basically what i'm looking at,i dont see a drivers side glove box..Yeah i know the pic is of a hatch.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #137
YARISed

Drives: 2011 S sedan A/T
Only the LB has it.
You see that notch behind the headlight switch, right next to the cup holder? That is the extra glove box.

Apir! =)
YARISed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #138
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
yes the sedan owners get screwed. No glove box behind the steering wheel or above the regular glove box. What gives?
Old 05-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #139
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revsson View Post
Any chance you have some pics of that installation? What did you use to
mount the control head inside? What kind of antenna are you using?
Sorry I don't have any pics but I can answer your questions. I used sticky on one side Velcro to attach the control head in the glove compartment on the drivers side (right in front of the driver). I am using a Larsen 2/70 amateur antenna with I believe a Diamond mount mounted lowdown on the liftback area.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #140
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Thanks for the info edmscan!
I've been using a 5W HT with a mag mount, and recently installed a lip mount
on the back hatch as well....probably the same as yours. I'm looking at installing
a 2820H head inside the glovebox similar to yours. The 2820H has magnets on the
back for mounting. If and when I get that installed, I'll send you a pic. I know the
purists want us to drill a hole for an NMO mount, but I wasn't ready for that yet.
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #141
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
In the UPPER DRIVER SIDE glovebox I keep coins, paper clips, a tire pressure gauge, a compass, a sunglasses case (with the sunglasses in them at night or if it is a cloudy day), pens, registration receipt (to show to out of state law enforcement -- in Texas the actual registration = a front window sticker), proof of insurance, over the counter throat/cough drops. In the LOWER DRIVER SIDE glovebox (see post #66 on this thread with picture -- he calls it his money compartment) I keep a 12v splitter (has a 12v male end that splits off to two 12v female-- so a passenger can bring along a cell/smartphone car charger and use it). In the UPPER PASSENGER SIDE glovebox I keep a 12v car charger for my netbook, over the counter throat/cough drops, a small first aid kit, a pocket US Constitution, a Motel 6 Directory, napkins (the restaurant/kitchen kind), and folded plastic (empty) Wal-Mart bags (for Trash and for when I dog sit my favorite dog and walk him). In the LOWER PASSENGER SIDE glovebox I keep a Lumix camera and proprietary battery charger, 3 CDs in their respective jewel cases, a book (1,001 Ways To Save The Earth--given to me by my little cousin who was the inspiration behind my Yarisworld screen name), a Logitech Trackball Mouse, and a 'hang anything from your rear view mirror' type strap from the gift shop at Elvis' Birthplace in Tupelo, Mississippi. I am currently shopping for a small (but rated 100 watts plus continuous) 12v to AC power inverter that will fit (when not in use) in the LOWER PASSENGER SIDE glovebox. I'll use this to charge my Macbook Pro. I keep the contents of a normal wallet in a neoprene sunglasses case (sold for use when fishing) that is connected to my keychain and the end of that case fits (when the car key is in the ignition) in the DRIVER SIDE CUBBYHOLE so that it doesn't dangle and hit my leg while I'm driving. In the PASSENGER SIDE CUBBYHOLE I have seashells from a recent trip to the beach at Captiva Island in Florida. I also have a belt clip case mounted on the lip (near the seashells) that contains my AT&T Fusion with a rubber band that straps my Nokia E5 in its case to it. I don't have a SIM card in the E5 and use it mostly for the map program (all onboard that allows for navigation without any data/cellular connection that will run up charges). I have a 12v splitter in use (apart from the one stored in the LOWER DRIVER SIDE glovebox) and have a male 12v (plugged into each of the two female 12v connections) with dual USB ports in each. I have two extra retractable USB cables (fully extended) connecting the Fusion and the E5 to one set of the side-by-side USB ports, and I tuck the slack from the cords into the PASSENGER SIDE CUBBYHOLE around the seashells. I have two prepaid lines, one with Verizon and one with AT&T. I don't use them much, but when I do I'll use them for hours at a time) each with an old Motorola V3. I love the size and Durability of the V3, but the battery life is horrible so I decided to get the Fusion to compliment the V3 and re some of its individual merits. I have Rocketfish USB cables that I have long used with the V3s in the car (for some reason if I TRY to use ANY OTHER USB CABLE IN THE CAR I get an 'unauthorized charger' message) so I have the V3s sitting in the CD cutout behind the parking brake with the Rocketfish cables running from the V3s to the other set of side-by-side dual female USB ports from the other side of the 12v splitter. The service rep at my local Toyota dealer told me that the in dash factory 12v female is connected to a 15 AMP fuse at the fusebox. I think each device is probably pulling under 500 Milliamps, but even worst case scenario it isn't over 2 AMPS so a total of 8 AMPS is still well under 15 AMPS. The Fusion and the E5 are recent purchases. I now know I'll always have a charged phone, unless I somehow run through the full charge in all of them without being able to recharge...but I don't forsee that happening. I remember that another poster to this thread mentioned that she keeps an umbrella in her UPPER DRIVER SIDE glovebox. I can't remember where she lives, but I tried using that size umbrella and it got destroyed by the force of some of the winds we get (even being 70+ miles from the Gulf), so I purchased an adequate umbrella for my use and keep it in the BACKSEAT PASSENGER SIDE CUBBYHOLE. I keep my netbook in a neoprene case under the passenger seat.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #142
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
....oooops! I forgot one item from the UPPER DRIVER SIDE glovebox.....I also keep a 12' tape measure in there. I keep my 'Starbucks personal cup' in the passenger door cup holder (I normally keep my laptop bag on the passenger seat). I keep a 60 count container of moist hand wipes from Dollar Tree in the Driver door cup holder (much cheaper than the effectively next cheapest 40 count for $1.64 house brand at Wal-Mart). I keep both of the hatch specific in-dash folding cup holders, as well as the one at the back of the console between the front seats, free to accommodate actual beverages.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #143
nookandcrannycar

I just moved my Nokia E5 and AT&T Fusion into the UPPER PASSENGER SIDE glovebox. The spools from the retractable USB cables fit in there too. The part of the cables below the spools exit over the edge of the glovebox. The cables are so thin that they allow the glovebox to close completely. I can now unplug the male 12v adapter (with the aforementioned 2 retractable USB cables plugged into its dual USB female slots) and toss it into the UPPER PASSENGER SIDE glovebox as well when I leave the car and don't want to bring the Fusion and/or the E5 with me.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #144
Steve L.

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3 door
Coins, pens, little notepads, GPS Unit and Holder and GPS power cable, pocket knife, a couple of rags, extra eye glasses, MP3 Players cord!! You can fit a lot in 3 glove boxes, I love that feature the car has.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote