Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #37
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
i've heard that the mini have expensive control arms that break all the time .. kinda like the audi tend to do.

read some reviews on the upkeep .. parts arent cheap for those suckers
Old 06-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #38
JBIZZ

Drives: 2007 Liftback white
The Mini S (MT) is sick. I drove one not too long ago and was surprised how much power & leg room it had compared to the Yaris (MT). I did the 1ZZ TB swap & DC header install this past weekend. I was keeping up with some manic in a Mini S today on my way home from work, I couldn't believe it. He must have had an auto tranny. The MT Yaris (stock) is also just as fast as an Automatic Golf turbo (stock).

I like the Minis but like the looks of the Yaris much better (less yuppy). I also believe the Yaris is a more reliable/mechanically superior car. I would not gun t from a stop in a Mini at every stop light, but am not afraid to in a Yaris. Less shit will break in the long run and the Yaris I'm sure has cheaper parts.

If you still owe money on your Yaris, Keep it. You don't want to go bankrupt, although it seems to be the trend these days, even for people who not to long ago had lots of money.
JBIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #39
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Not much into convertibles anymore, but if you were to trade it for the hatch, then I say why not if you can afford it (car, gas, insurance, maintenance).
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:05 PM   #40
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
.... damn this midlife crisis..!
HA! Shit man you gotta long way to go before you hit that!!

Besides, you've only been sporting your new RS Tails for what, 3 days. At least take some time to enjoy those. DIBS on them if you opt out of Yaris.

Hear that everyone? I call dibs.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:08 PM   #41
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I'd actually get an NA Miata and turbocharger it over a Mini. It's rwd! I owned one for my first car.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #42
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
they maybe coming up with miataspeed. but the regular mazda miata is expensive enuff..yikes.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #43
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
they maybe coming up with miataspeed. but the regular mazda miata is expensive enuff..yikes.
You can get a Mazdaspeed MX-5, but I believe it is special order.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:25 PM   #44
Mouse

Drives: 2007 MX5
The Mazdaspeed MX-5 were only sold in 2004 and 2005. There is no current Mazdaspeed MX-5. There are MS parts for the current gen MX-5. I would personally go with an 94-97 miata if you want a convertible.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #45
marcus
toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
HA! Shit man you gotta long way to go before you hit that!!

Besides, you've only been sporting your new RS Tails for what, 3 days. At least take some time to enjoy those. DIBS on them if you opt out of Yaris.

Hear that everyone? I call dibs.
yah ..hehehe ur right let me enjoy the new tails first.also take an actual photo of it rather than using other peoples tail photo.lolz.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #46
toyo

Drives: toyota
you want a cool convertible car? get an s2000, you won't regreat it, I promise.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #47
marcus
toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyo View Post
you want a cool convertible car? get an s2000, you won't regreat it, I promise.
yah i thought of that but i got something against honda..lolz

definetely hot item just a little killer on insurance.

Last edited by marcus; 06-03-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:44 AM   #48
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Marcus,
Before you make the jump check your potential insurance rates for the Mini Convertible.
Likely much, much higher than for your Yaris. Especially in Toronto.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:45 AM   #49
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Marcus,
Before you make the jump check your potential insurance rates for the Mini Convertible.
Likely much, much higher than for your Yaris. Especially in Toronto/GTA.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:08 AM   #50
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
so how the mini when it comes to maintainance..never had a german car b4..
I've had experience with BMW's so these numbers aren't from Mini's, but should give you an idea.

I had a front bumper crack and had to replace the entire thing. I wasn't getting ripped off, because my Dad works for the people who own the dealership and I actually got a discount on the price and work and all in it was over $2500 to get the new bumper, painted etc.

Replacing brakes cost about 1 grand per on my old 3 series and one rear tire on my last 3 cost over $900 as it was a ridiculous 18" 255/35 rft.

I don't think it's worth worrying about the worst case scenarios like my bumper situation, but do take into consideration your tires will wear much faster and cost a lot more than whatever you have on your Yaris. Everything will be more, insurance may not be. Insurance for my Yaris is the same as insurance for my 3 was.

You can't compare these 2 cars. If you want it and haven't ever had a fun car like a Mini, and can afford it, I wouldn't let the extra cost deter you. If something happened to our Yaris, I would consider a Mini again. After owning a Yaris for nearly 2 years I can more fully appreciate the difference between a solid utility type car and a real performance car and the price variation between the two.

Oh, and I have driven a Mini Cooper S when my car was in the shop for maintenance. It was so much fun I almost ran the tank dry in one day just driving around the city. It was a blast.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:34 AM   #51
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
We have two Mini's in my family (and I used to work for Mini) and I don't think I'd buy one. Now that I have a Yaris I've done some suspension mods to, I think it will give me just as big as grin as driving our Cooper S does.

Both of our Mini's have had varying issues from niggly to bad, and everytime it cost a fortune to fix. The parts are ludicrously expensive. Yes, the cars have long service intervals, but they should be a lot shorter. 10k oil changes are absurd for anyone that does real driving. Working on them is also a monumental pain in the ass. The oil changes are probably the second worse I've even had to do.

The cars do drive extremely well, but they are NOT cheap. If you have any specific questions fire them my way.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #52
marcus
toyota

thanks guys.. i think im off the mini..this thread helped a lot..now im looking into s2000...thanks to toyo's post i completely forgot about the s2000 hmmm but im against honda though .. what to do what to do??
Old 06-04-2009, 12:21 PM   #53
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
thanks guys.. i think im off the mini..this thread helped a lot..now im looking into s2000...thanks to toyo's post i completely forgot about the s2000 hmmm but im against honda though .. what to do what to do??
I still say, forget the convertible - Throw a moon roof on your Yaris instead. You'll still have a 4 season car that's even better on the good weather days.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #54
marcus
toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I still say, forget the convertible - Throw a moon roof on your Yaris instead. You'll still have a 4 season car that's even better on the good weather days.
moonroof is nice but not the same as a convertable..open air is so refreshing..