Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-25-2007, 06:46 PM   #1
jdubau55

Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
Install of tweeters in the rear????

Since there are a few SQ ppl floating around here. Where would be the best place in the rear to install the tweaters from a component set to get the best sound stage? I usally dont have rear occupants so really all I'm worried about is how it sounds to my ears.
jdubau55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:24 PM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Mine are stuffed next to the speakers at the back, not the best I suppose.

Integrating them to the B-pillar would probably be best

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:13 PM   #3
Razr
YRS WHOR

Drives: White 2007 Yaris E-Limited 5dr
If it's primarily for you and not rear seat passengers you wouldn't normally install tweeters in the rear if you're looking for good staging and imaging, as they will usually only drag the soundstage backwards - especially in a small car like the Yaris.

If you must install component tweeters in the rear it will take some experimentation in order to find a location where they add to, rather than destroy your front sound stage. I'd expect somewhere behind the rear seats, in an orientation where there is no direct sound towards the front would be the best compromise.
Razr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:46 PM   #4
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
I'm planning on putting tweeters in the front on the door by the dash how would i wire that in with the stock speakers in (I dont really know how to wire that well)
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:12 PM   #5
jdubau55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razr View Post
If it's primarily for you and not rear seat passengers you wouldn't normally install tweeters in the rear if you're looking for good staging and imaging, as they will usually only drag the soundstage backwards - especially in a small car like the Yaris.

If you must install component tweeters in the rear it will take some experimentation in order to find a location where they add to, rather than destroy your front sound stage. I'd expect somewhere behind the rear seats, in an orientation where there is no direct sound towards the front would be the best compromise.
So it would be better to just install the front components and then say just upgrade the rear with normal 2\3 way speakers?
Old 02-26-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
Razr
YRS WHOR

That's definately the way I'd approach it, but everyone is different of course!

IMHO music should always sound as if you're facing the stage, not the bar or exit :)
Old 02-26-2007, 10:26 PM   #7
jdubau55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSIbucky View Post
I'm planning on putting tweeters in the front on the door by the dash how would i wire that in with the stock speakers in (I dont really know how to wire that well)
If you did this it will sound not much better. However if you threw a crossover on there and sent the hi pass to ur tweeters and then the low pass to the stock speakers it will sound a lil better....but not by much. Get some quality speakers. Im thinking Focal or Alpine type X for the front.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:15 PM   #8
magoo_lc1

Drives: honda civic hatch
Honest to goodness if this for front passengers only which it should be , mount the tweeters in the kickpanel. I have not looked at yaris kick panel but they shoud fit. Buy a componet set with aimable cups are just make a spacer to aim them up at you. PVC painted black works well. If you listen to live music its always in front of you right? Go for a kick panel or door panel install.. I would be nice if you could mount the tweet and mid bass in the door for equal sount length.

The influence of peers on individual behavior illustrates the seductive power of conformity

And, I don't mind at all being looked down upon by purists. Indeed I don't mind at all being looked down upon by those whom I do not look up to at
magoo_lc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:39 AM   #9
lost.mind

Drives: Blazing Blue AT Liftback
PICTURES please
lost.mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 03:46 PM   #10
Razr
YRS WHOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoo_lc1 View Post
Honest to goodness if this for front passengers only which it should be , mount the tweeters in the kickpanel. I have not looked at yaris kick panel but they shoud fit. Buy a componet set with aimable cups are just make a spacer to aim them up at you. PVC painted black works well. If you listen to live music its always in front of you right? Go for a kick panel or door panel install.. I would be nice if you could mount the tweet and mid bass in the door for equal sount length.

The front A pillars have a flat section just right for mounting tweeters, and it's coincidentally the same distance from your ears as the midbass in the doors - the only problem is that there's so much separation between the drivers that you'd need a 500Hz crossover on the tweeter to make it work nicely (err, don't try this! ).

From a non-purist angle though, the A pillars would be a very straight-forward install, and the symmetrical dash will definately lend itself to creating a more balanced soundstage -- you won't have the typical near-field, sound stage destroying reflections happening on the driver's side of most cars due to their off-center instrument panel bump.

As much as I normally agree with kick panel mounts, this is a small car with a more upright seating position than normal. Legs, dash and console are definately going to get in the way of kickpanel mounted tweeters.

I suppose the bottom line is that the Yaris is never going to be an uber SQ car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg APillar.jpg (37.3 KB, 231 views)
Old 02-27-2007, 05:12 PM   #11
jdubau55

I was thinking here.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg APillar2.JPG (31.0 KB, 230 views)
Old 02-27-2007, 05:18 PM   #12
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubau55 View Post
I was thinking here.....
That's where mine are going!

Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:24 PM   #13
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
That's where I put mine but I think Razr has a better idea. It would involve a little more work to run the wiring but should work better.

I may move mine at some point in the future because the sound stage is a little vague. I'll have to get replacements for the pieces I cut holes in though.

Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:43 PM   #14
Ryosuke

Drives: yaris
Quote:
I was thinking here.....
I have mine in that place and sound really good. In the rear doors I have them above the window botom
Old 02-27-2007, 06:03 PM   #15
Razr
YRS WHOR

Quote:
I was thinking here.....
I was looking at the location just yesterday as well.. With my tinted windows and the right tweeter mounts (one's that get the tweeter close to vertical and firing towards the center of the dash) it could be super-stealthy, and the path lengths are still pretty close.

Last edited by Razr; 02-27-2007 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Typo, clarified tweeter mount idea.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:10 PM   #16
Razr
YRS WHOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin View Post
That's where I put mine but I think Razr has a better idea. It would involve a little more work to run the wiring but should work better.

I may move mine at some point in the future because the sound stage is a little vague. I'll have to get replacements for the pieces I cut holes in though.

Looks real neat Violin, but as expected they're going to have difficulty creating an image across the center of the dash with that orientation - I imagine you'd get a soundstage that extends a foot or so from each side but with a hole in the middle?

Mind you, it'd probably work great in conjuction with a center channel speaker!
Old 02-27-2007, 06:15 PM   #17
St_G

Drives: Black 2007 Yaris Liftback 1.5
I haven't done my speakers yet, but when I spoke to an installer about putting them where Violin did (which looks very nice and nearly stock) he cautioned against it. I think I'm going to go for the A-pillar as well.
St_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 06:31 PM   #18
jdubau55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razr View Post
I was looking at the location just yesterday as well.. With my tinted windows and the right tweeter mounts (one's that get the tweeter close to vertical and firing towards the center of the dash) it could be super-stealthy, and the path lengths are still pretty close.

I was thinking of making some sort of custom mount for them because like you say they point up almost. I would want to make a mount thats wedge shaped with about a 45-60 degree slope on it. Get them pointing in the right direction...my community college's CAD lab has a nice ABS plastic 3D printer that could replicate the stock plastic piece exactly....I may just have to see about modeling that piece with the mount built in....could then maybe sell a few. Would fit and look like stock but with the tweeter mount...