Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #1
road_junky
I've made a post!

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan
Rear Sway bar, worth it ? Other options?

I am driving a 2007 base Yaris sedan. Biggest complain is wind sailling at highway speed. I will do a lot more of this type of driving soon and cannot stand the car as it is right now. Living in Canada with some heavy bad winter conditions, lowering is not an option I want to go. I also don't want to put big money on trying to change driving dynamic. Would adding a rear sway bar help fix this big time or not that much. I'd consider changing the car if there is no easy fix with sway bar and tires, I need a new 4 seasons set anyway in the coming months.

Would like to see what you experienced before spending money on this one.
Thanks for your help!
road_junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I realize you a new (welcome) but this is probably one of the most discussed items on here. Rates right up there with 'will I rub with this wheel/tire setup?'.

Simply put, yes it is worth it.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
A sway bar is the best mod you can do on the Yaris for the money, period. It's one of those things they should have put on the car from the factory. Reduced body roll, reduced wind buffeting, and enhance cornering performance really help this car.

Here's a link to the Whiteline bar, my preferred brand. It's adjustable with two settings, and very easy to install.

Happy to ship to Canada, by the way.

http://shop.microimageonline.com/Whi...-xD-BTR86Z.htm
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
In an effort to reduce highway wander our cars suffer from, I experimented using the TRD sway bar and numerous tyre tread patterns. While the car certainly felt more stable with the sway bar and handling was indeed much improved, I discovered that tread pattern has the most significant effect on highway wander. I have completely eliminated highway wander on my car without the sway bar installed.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #5
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
The rear sway bar is a must! As others have stated, it does help with wind sailing and roll. I did a before/after swaybar on a roundabout going 40-45 mph - it greatly reduced body roll (I don't do that on a daily basis obviously). I drive to California often and on the way there, there's usually winds reaching 30-40mph. My friend drove my car back up both with/without the sway bar and noticed the difference without me saying a word about installing it.
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
Mittelklasse
Problem, officer?

Drives: '06 Yaris 5DLB 1.5
I, too, recommend installing a rear sway bar!
Mittelklasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:34 AM   #7
ohms

Drives: 07 yaris 3door
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
In an effort to reduce highway wander our cars suffer from, I experimented using the TRD sway bar and numerous tyre tread patterns. While the car certainly felt more stable with the sway bar and handling was indeed much improved, I discovered that tread pattern has the most significant effect on highway wander. I have completely eliminated highway wander on my car without the sway bar installed.
so...what tires?
ohms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:06 AM   #8
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohms View Post
so...what tires?
Look for these characteristics:

1. non-aggressive tread pattern
2. flat, wide, continuous center band
3. silica-based tread compound
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:38 AM   #9
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Indeed, I discovered this also. I had kumho kh 18 up front but due to getting a
flat the dude at the tyre shop offered me hankooks with different tread patterns. I noticed on highways the car wanders sometimes specially with high winds.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:24 PM   #10
Rednaz

Drives: 2006 Yaris 1300
@cali yaris: I sent an email to you on the 14th of Jan,and haven't received a reply yet? I'm based in South Africa and need one aswell. Do you do shipping to RSA?
Rednaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I just PMed you, hope you can reply soon
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:08 AM   #12
Rednaz

Drives: 2006 Yaris 1300
Garm, check your emails please. Thanks
Rednaz is offline   Reply With Quote