Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-13-2006, 12:54 AM   #1
hirosho

Drives: Yaris 3dr hatchback
Cold Air

I have noticed that cold air coming out when I turn on a fan with A/C off. Is this normal? I start wondering that A/C may be always "on".
hirosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 01:33 AM   #2
birdy
I stay G'd Up

Drives: 02 wrx wagon
Send a message via AIM to birdy
do you have your vent open?
birdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 01:42 AM   #3
pennystocks

Drives: 07 Civic Si Coupe(Black Pearl)
The ac should kick on if you put it on defroster (the vent one, not the rear window button) It wont be on 100% tho, it'll kick on and off.

If somebody could back this up, every other car i've had did this, but the yaris's compressor is so quiet.
pennystocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:36 PM   #4
hirosho

Thanks for your reply

Birdy: Yes, my vent was open, So I tried a couple of combinations such as "Air Circulation with defrosser" and "Air Circulation with head and toe". But it appeared to be the same. The cold air comes out when I turn a fan on.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:40 PM   #5
hirosho

Thank for your reply.

Pennystocks: I am not sure. Originally, I noticed about a cold air, when I turn a dial all the way to defroster. But it seems to be a case that a cold air is coming out with other positions as well.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:44 PM   #6
hoahmaru

Drives: 2007 White Yaris RS B Pac.
do you have your temperature setting on the Coldside? Maybe try turning it to the Hot side or in the middle.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:42 PM   #7
Island Boy

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoahmaru
do you have your temperature setting on the Coldside? Maybe try turning it to the Hot side or in the middle.
A/C is only "on" when the little orange light is on. I think what you are talking about is the same as "wind chill". When you get air moving around you, it feels cold, since the fan moves air, it will feel cold. Even more so if the setting is on air from outside instead of the re-ciculating setting(air from inside). It's like having the window open, even if it's 80 outside, the air coming in will feel cold. Set the temp to warmest position and I'm sure you will get warm air not cold. My old Civic had a vent in the dash that when open and driving, let fresh air from outside into the car without having to have the windows open or the fan on, I miss that feature.
Island Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:29 PM   #8
hirosho

Sorry for my delay.

I talked a mechanic in Toyota dealer when I took the first oil change. According to what he said, Air Conditioner comes on when the air flow setting is at "Defroster" Position provided your car is equipped with A/C.

My air-flow setting had mostly been set at "Defroster" therefore, I eventually feel cold air flowing in.

Anyway, thank you.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:40 PM   #9
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
I have learned it from somewhere else that if you turn your round air flow knob to the 12 o'clock position(represented by a downward pointing arrow), there is actually some air that will be blown onto the windshield and for many a situation, that may be enough for keeping it clear. I have tried that myself and it worked for me. I could feel the air coming out of the long slot that's along and under the windshield. It is easier to feel it if you set the fan speed at the "3" position or higher. Doing this will help avoid switching on the A/C which will lead to more fuel consumption. For fast defrosting however, it is still necessary to use the defrost positions.
PS:the two side ventilation outlets can then be used to blow air onto the two front side windows to help keep them clear on humid days.

Last edited by swng; 05-22-2006 at 07:53 PM.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 09:31 PM   #10
Yaris

Drives: 2010 LB Meteor Metallic
[QUOTE=swng]I have learned it from somewhere else that if you turn your round air flow knob to the 12 o'clock position(represented by a downward pointing arrow), there is actually some air that will be blown onto the windshield and for many a situation, that may be enough for keeping it clear.

I just went and tested it out and it is true. I know it will come in very handy on those rainy days when I mostly have kept the defroster setting on which forces the AC to start guzzling my resources. Thanks for the very helpful tip.
Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 10:59 PM   #11
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Nice to know that you find the information useful.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote