Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-13-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Hard water stains

Hey everyone, I have hard water stains all over my car and wondered if anyone knows how to get it off.. I've tried vinegar, and it's too overwhelming, but seems to work... Claying seems to be a bit too much for my budget.. so anyone know an alternative?

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #2
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEHxFALLEN V1.2 View Post
Hey everyone, I have hard water stains all over my car and wondered if anyone knows how to get it off.. I've tried vinegar, and it's too overwhelming, but seems to work... Claying seems to be a bit too much for my budget.. so anyone know an alternative?
Compound/polish is the only really good way.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
clay is only 20$ here..... if its bothering you THAT much.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerFlosser View Post
Compound/polish is the only really good way.
Any product suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAR1S View Post
clay is only 20$ here..... if its bothering you THAT much.
You see, everyone here on my street turns on their god damn sprinklers every fucking day. Even if I clayed it, my car is still going to be fucked over and over again. I'm just pissed off because I don't have a garage anymore so, I'm just looking to hear from anyone who uses or does anything with cheap, or everyday household products to get rid of the hardwater stains. Because to me, $20 a day for clay would be time consuming and expensive.

Also I might add, does hardwater stains fuck up our Yaris paint in anyway?

Old 08-15-2009, 01:29 PM   #5
toast

Drives: 2007 LB
I would try some CLR diluted in water in a spray bottle. Spray the area, let it sit for a minute and rub the area with a soft sponge. Shouldn't really need to clay or use abrasive. Works well enough in the shower and sink here in the hard water land of Indiana. I can't imagine in would hurt the paint, but I would try it under the hood or someplace first just in case. I would also make sure to rinse it off.

But yeah if you leave the hard water stains on long enough they will probably become a permanent paint "mod"...
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Turtle ICE ,
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #7
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
Any product suggestions?

You see, everyone here on my street turns on their god damn sprinklers every fucking day. Even if I clayed it, my car is still going to be fucked over and over again. I'm just pissed off because I don't have a garage anymore so, I'm just looking to hear from anyone who uses or does anything with cheap, or everyday household products to get rid of the hardwater stains. Because to me, $20 a day for clay would be time consuming and expensive.
Also I might add, does hardwater stains fuck up our Yaris paint in anyway?
For reals man ??? OK go to the store and get yourself the meguires clay bay kit , it comes with 2 clay bars , a bottle of quick detailer and a micro fiber cloth and will last you for a while . Just clay the area with the spots , only takes a few minutes . You just spray the panel with the quick detailer and rub it down with the clay bar , then wipe it down with the micro fiber very easy. Then I'd say wax the car with a pure carnuba(sp?) wax which will help block the water from spotting on the paint again . Do-it !
blacksandiegovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
southern california's hard water + retarded neighbor's who can't aim sprinklers = the pits
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #9
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,1,1,4
DandiDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #10
DandiDani

Drives: 09' Meteorite liftback
Send a message via MSN to DandiDani
we use the spray detailer after every car wash. i love this stuff. ive never used the clay kit before but maybe it will help you. they sell ice products at my WAL-MART.
DandiDani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Clay bar the car, polish and seal the paint, then wax. JR, you're going to hate what I'm going to say, but it's the only solution to your sprinkler problem. After you have just done this detailing process, it'll get rid of your water spots, and have your paint silky smooth. So when the sprinklers turn on and after they turn off every day, go out and dry off the car with one of your Absorbers, then, if you'd like, wipe her down with some quick detailer spray. Wash the Absorbers to get rid of any dust collected. You'll probably have to do this every day.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:50 PM   #12
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

^ I use to do that everyday until I realized that I no longer had the time.. CLR works wonders though LOL!

Gotta buy some more quick detailer and absorbers now.. Thank you all!

Old 08-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #13
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
hmm, then may be a car cover as tight on the car as possible (if it's too loose, then it'll start scratching the clear coat when it's windy).
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:50 PM   #14
JetfireK

Drives: 2008 3 Dr Liftback
Quote:
Dilute the vinegar with water and scrub hard...It takes the water spots off of glass and the paint...then wash and wax....I love the easy to use NU FINISH but perhaps theirs a shinier one out there????
JetfireK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #15
Type X

Drives: Scion Xb
Quote:
When i get hard stains i usually end up doing a full detail.

But i'll start with cheap dish soap to strip it down.
Followed by a good wash...
clay bar and 3 step meguiars.

if you try to wax over it or just scrub it its more of a temp fix rather than long term.
Type X is offline   Reply With Quote