Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-25-2006, 08:17 PM   #1
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
Lightbulb Weight Savings

Seems like everyone is always after more power, more handling, and more braking. A great way to improve all of these for little to no cost is "weight savings". The benefits of removing weight from your car can be felt in acceleration, turns, and braking as well as helping the car save fuel, use less tires, and brakes.

Since the Yaris is my daily commuter and not a pure track car, I will be more conservative in stripping this car compared to my others Here is a list of things I've removed and kept track of as well as some planned changes.

Removed/Replaced:
(132) qty 4-15" stock steel wheels and tires 33lb each.
(24) stock steel spare wheel and tire.
(37) rear seat back rest
(11) rear seat lower bench
(6) rear seat bench steel support
(33) stock battery
(8) luggage tray/cover
(2) rear luggage and passenger carpets
(4) sun/privacy shade mechanism
(13) stock steering wheel with airbag
(20) qty 2 - stock front strut 10lb each
(10) qty 2 - stock front spring 5lb each
(6) qty 2 - stock rear shock 3lb each
(6) qty 2 - stock rear spring 3lb each
(9) stock rear rebar/crashbar
(24) stock axle back exhaust
(7) under seat jack and tool kit (track only)

(352) Total weight of removed/replaced parts

Added/Replaced:
104 qty 4 -15x7 Watanabe wheels and Bridgestone 195/55/15 tires 26lb each.
3 Nardi 330mm steering wheel with Works Bell hub and quick release
13 Odyssey PC680MJ battery
18 qty 2 - Cusco front coilover strut 9lb each
11 qty 2 - Cusco front spring 5.5lb each
6 qty 2 - Cusco rear shock 3lb each
8 qty 2 - Cusco rear spring and height adjuster 4lb each
5 C-One rear bumper bar
3 C-One rear strut brace
18 Tanabe Touring Medallion axle back exhaust

189lb Total added/replaced parts

163Lbs. = Total "weight savings" so far

According to Toyotas literature the manual hatchback weighs in at 2293lb wet. I haven't weighed mine yet, but will do so shortly when I install my new coilovers and corner weight the car, but according to the specs my car should now weigh approximately 2130lb. Many of my measurements are approximations and I welcome others to correct me if you feel I've made any errors.

I also plan to remove/replace/install the following parts which will change my numbers:
Bucket seats (hoping for 20lb combined savings for both)
C-One front sway bar (probably a couple pounds more than stock)
C-One front under brace (probably + 3-5lb)
front strut brace (probaby 2-3 lb)
Progress rear sway bar (probably + 10-15lb)
header (probably same as stock?)
aerokit with paint (probaby + 5-7lb)
JDM front rebar (~ 5-8lb less)
remove rear wiper and motor (~ 10-14lb less)

At this time I don't plan to remove the stereo, speakers, A/C, heater, interior, etc... But I may do so in future if I decide to take it further. If I do remove these items, any weight savings will be negated by the addition of a roll cage.

I'll do my best to continue to weigh stock and replacement parts as I continue to modify the car. Please feel free to add any comments or ideas as to where else weight can be saved
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:13 PM   #2
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
has anyone seen people remove the rear seat and put some carpet in so it would look nicer mabye i just retarded
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:43 PM   #3
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
stock xA seats weigh 65lbs. i replaced with MOMO START and T-Frame and had aluminum brackets manufactured.

total savings... 90lbs :)
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:50 PM   #4
03Z33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSIbucky View Post
has anyone seen people remove the rear seat and put some carpet in so it would look nicer mabye i just retarded
Probably not a bad idea if you plan to store things and don't want them scratching up the interior. The stock carpeting only goes back as far as the rear bench, everything back is bare steel/paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
stock xA seats weigh 65lbs. i replaced with MOMO START and T-Frame and had aluminum brackets manufactured.

total savings... 90lbs :)

Good news! I'm not sure that the Yaris seats are that heavy, I seem to remember someone saying they're actually pretty light, but I'll be swapping them out either way
Old 12-25-2006, 10:54 PM   #5
Tamago

i would imagine you are correct, as they do sit much closer to the ground.

bracketry in aluminum tho, a little spendy, but they weigh in at only a couple pounds each :)

i've weighed in at 2150 with a full tank of gas, on my street wheels, (+maybe 10lbs)

the next 150lbs will be expensive lol
Old 12-25-2006, 11:01 PM   #6
03Z33

It does get $$$ after this I actually had my eyes on the Ist since it first arrived here in the states. Came really close to purchasing more then once

Overall I'm pretty satisfied with the weight of these cars... I enjoy trying to get it down as much as I can though
Old 12-25-2006, 11:09 PM   #7
Tamago

off topic but did you ever own a corolla? besides the GTS
Old 12-25-2006, 11:11 PM   #8
03Z33

Nope... my only other FWD was a VW
Old 12-25-2006, 11:13 PM   #9
Tamago

oh ok.. good good, thought i may know you from back in the corolla days lol

car looks good, any track footage?
Old 12-25-2006, 11:20 PM   #10
03Z33

I'm usually to busy between prepping my cars, and jumping in and out of students cars... I wrote something up a while back on here:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ighlight=track

Now back on topic So who else has anymore ideas for weight savings? I'm not talking about little stuff like shift knobs and air freshners either
Old 12-25-2006, 11:27 PM   #11
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I suppose if you wanted to be a little extreme you could lighten the doors, roof and frame by cutting out internal components like crash bars and so on. It would weaken the car, sure, but if you had a roll cage, it might be worth looking into?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 11:32 PM   #12
Tamago

all the easy ones you've stated.. removing carpet and sound deadening sounds like a bit of savings there.. from below the center of gravity, but weight nonetheless..

i'd like to see swapped door-cards on my car in the near future. once i get my new (1988 toyota pickup 1 ton long bed) daily driver i'll be a little more frisky with the mods to the xA
Old 12-25-2006, 11:41 PM   #13
03Z33

Yeah, there's probably a few pounds in rear door beams which I wouldn't mind removing since I'll never have passengers back there... The fronts I think I'll leave in for now, at least until I get a cage.

I actually checked out the Tein Yaris which is pretty well gutted, and it doesn't seem that there is too much to remove... the floor did look nice and shiny without any carpeting though
Old 12-26-2006, 01:10 AM   #14

Drives: 07 yaris
i need to lose wieght myself maybe 10-20lbs
Old 12-26-2006, 01:54 AM   #15
03Z33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501 View Post
i need to lose wieght myself maybe 10-20lbs
Haha, I hear that! Holiday Season is always the hardest for me I could always fast for a few days before going to the track
Old 12-26-2006, 02:18 AM   #16
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
OK... it's going a little extreme when you remove a safety device like an airbag... but what ever floats your boat.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:26 AM   #17
03Z33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyTofu View Post
OK... it's going a little extreme when you remove a safety device like an airbag... but what ever floats your boat.
Actually, weight savings is the least important reason for me to replace the stock steering wheel. I hated how it looks, feels, and I HATE airbags.

If you've never had an airbag blow in your face, you're in for a surprise! chemical burns, broken nose, broken ribs all because of a stupid minivan that backed into me at less then 10mph The airbag is the first thing I remove from all my cars. I know others will disagree and say I just had one bad experience, but I will take my chances with just a seat belt, for my passengers, I leave the choice up to them by leaving the passenger airbag in place.

Everyone knows that you should remove the airbag before driving on track anyway... this just makes it easier so that I don't have to pull the fuse anytime I want to go to the track. And you can't argue with the looks and feel of a Nardi wheel :)
Old 12-26-2006, 10:49 AM   #18
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
i have heard alot of airbag horror stories! they really seem to do more damage than good in some cases. i have thought about removing mine, but we will see...

as for the nardi, a friend of mine got the deep dish all black with red stitching yesterday for christmas. it is HOT!! a good wheel seems to transfer more info to your hands too, althought the yaris wheel isnt that bad.

good to see the weight savings, i like doing that stuff! in my old 240, it had everything removed except the dash and front seats. i even went so far to remove the sound deading, stereo, ac, everything! i gradually put things back in though, door skins, carpet, and finally the back seat (never put a radio back in though, lol!) bc i couldnt get a date to ride with me! oh well, price ya pay i guess. when i track the yaris, ill probably just remove the back seats, all the stuff in the trunk, and thats about it. this is supposed to be my civil car, lol
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote