Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #1
REM

Drives: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL
Question My front bumper looks like abstract art

Yaris.jpg

I know the Yaris paint isn't the best and people have reported problems, especially with the front bumper, but I think my car might be an unusual case. It's been progressively getting worse for a few years (it just flakes off), but now it's getting embarrassing. I've been told by people with painting experience that this is due to improper preparation/application, but my car is well past the warranty (it's an '07 with over 70,000 miles). Should I bother taking it to Toyota or make other arrangements?
Old 03-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
^^ send that photo to toyota and see what they say. document any time you went to dealer to complain about problem.....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
Attachment 46050

I know the Yaris paint isn't the best and people have reported problems, especially with the front bumper, but I think my car might be an unusual case. It's been progressively getting worse for a few years (it just flakes off), but now it's getting embarrassing. I've been told by people with painting experience that this is due to improper preparation/application, but my car is well past the warranty (it's an '07 with over 70,000 miles). Should I bother taking it to Toyota or make other arrangements?
Is the backside of the bumper white or black? The real OEM ones are black, and although that white may be primer under the red, it almost looks like that is an aftermarket bumper, which was improperly prepped.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
REM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Is the backside of the bumper white or black? The real OEM ones are black, and although that white may be primer under the red, it almost looks like that is an aftermarket bumper, which was improperly prepped.
It must be primer because it's the original bumper.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I gotta admit, it looks kinda cool but I can understand why you wouldn't be happy with it!

If Toyota doesn't respond, park it at the dealership where you bought it for a few days and I'm sure they'd rather fix it than want the bad publicity...

Cheers! M2
Old 04-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Something sure smells like fish 'cause that most definitely looks like a repaint. I've never seen primer that looks like an exact match to Polar White.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
REM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Something sure smells like fish 'cause that most definitely looks like a repaint. I've never seen primer that looks like an exact match to Polar White.
I love being called a liar on the internet. Nope, the car has not been repainted. It's original factory paint, what's left of it, anyhow.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
REM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I gotta admit, it looks kinda cool but I can understand why you wouldn't be happy with it!

If Toyota doesn't respond, park it at the dealership where you bought it for a few days and I'm sure they'd rather fix it than want the bad publicity...

Cheers! M2
I like this idea. Maybe I'll start a Facebook group, too.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
I love being called a liar on the internet. Nope, the car has not been repainted. It's original factory paint, what's left of it, anyhow.
Not calling you a liar. I'd be suspicious of the dealer pulling a fast one. New cars have been known to have damages caused in transit repaired and not disclosed.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
REM

Quote:
Not calling you a liar. I'd be suspicious of the dealer pulling a fast one. New cars have been known to have damages caused in transit repaired and not disclosed.
Interesting. Is that legal?
Old 04-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #11
REM

Quote:
I just did a Google search and found this:

"I feel your pain!! I have a red 2007 Toyota Yaris and the paint on the bumper is peeling off in massive strips, my bumper is pretty much white now. I have taken it back to Toyota and they tell me it's does not have Toyota factory paint on it and the that basically I've had it re-sprayed since purchasing it brand new,which is NOT true,"

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1691162

It probably won't help my case that I have some front end damage because I did hit something, but it was a fender bender and I didn't have any repairs done. I have the worst luck with cars. I bought a Toyota because I thought it would run forever, and it has been good mechanically, at least. Frustrating.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Just to verify, you bought it brand new?
Old 04-01-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
REM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Just to verify, you bought it brand new?
Yes.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:18 AM   #14
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Looks hot.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:45 AM   #15
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
This happened to me too, but after I had my front bumper replaced by Toyota. A few days after they had installed + painted it, it was flaking off like that (but since I have blue, it was black underneath).

Guy said it was because they didn't "bake" it enough so they repainted the whole bumper for me free and it has been fine ever since (2+ years).
Old 04-04-2012, 10:45 PM   #16
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
Oh crap my red Yaris is starting to peel off too !! I thought its only on my car ...
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #17
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
I'm beginning to wonder if the red paint used to paint the bumpers is simply poor quality. First you, then that post from Australia. I saw vten's Yaris at a recent meet, and I was surprised by all the white splotches on the front bumper of his car. My Yaris is meteorite metallic, and the factory paintjob on my car is amazing. I mean, I can count on one hand the number of rock chips on my front bumper, and I do mostly highway driving. The paint on my car holds up extremely well. For example, recently, I was driving along and a rock hit one of my doors real hard. However, there was not a single scratch. There are so many threads on this forum about people complaining about the poor quality of the paint, and I couldn't figure out what the big deal was. Now, I'm beginning to think it's because the supplier can manufacture certain colors well, but apparently they can't get other colors right.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if the red paint used to paint the bumpers is simply poor quality. First you, then that post from Australia. I saw vten's Yaris at a recent meet, and I was surprised by all the white splotches on the front bumper of his car. My Yaris is meteorite metallic, and the factory paintjob on my car is amazing. I mean, I can count on one hand the number of rock chips on my front bumper, and I do mostly highway driving. The paint on my car holds up extremely well. For example, recently, I was driving along and a rock hit one of my doors real hard. However, there was not a single scratch. There are so many threads on this forum about people complaining about the poor quality of the paint, and I couldn't figure out what the big deal was. Now, I'm beginning to think it's because the supplier can manufacture certain colors well, but apparently they can't get other colors right.
Reminds me on the issue GM and Ford had in the late 70's with the light blue and light green paint. It turned out that a pigment (derived from fish scales) used in those two colors caused an adhesion issue over time. I had a 78 Buick Skylark in the light blue where the hood flaked like crazy.

Perhaps it's a similar issue with the Yaris red.