Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-25-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
sykootaku

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris hatchback
Unhappy Hatchback lock broken...need help pls

Hey guys just got my 07 3dr back from Toyota service and they said it will cost 294$ for a new lock on the trunk but I really don't want to pay that much and then have a different key from my doors/ignition.(Don't mind cheaper alternative even if key is different) Could anyone suggest a better alternative? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
sykootaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If you have power locks, my Scion IQ hatch switch conversion is a cheaper/better alternative. If you don't, I have a spare hatch lock on hand that I would be willing to part with for a whole lot less than $294. You could possibly bring it to a locksmith and get the tumblers redone to have it keyed the same as your current.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39677
Old 11-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #3
sykootaku

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris hatchback
That would be awesome! I do not have power locks so I would need the later. Could you pm me with details? Thanks!
sykootaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:50 PM   #4
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
Broken how? Mine came that broken from the dealer (used, they didn't exactly know how to fix it)--it would open, but never lock. Pull the cover panel off the hatch (just yank, but be gentle, no need to break things). Disassemble the parts (there's really just 4 parts, the solenoid, the lock itself, the cover for the lock, and the latch, bolts are all obvious).

Use snap ring pliers (harbor freight for less than you'd expect to pay) and you can pull the core out of the lock. At least with that in hand, if other bits were broken, you have the piece that accepts your key, and you can swap it into a junkyard lock mechanism and keep your current key. However, before buying parts, clean up the inside of the tube the lock goes into with sandpaper, then lube the lock and the tube with plenty of graphite and work the key to get the lube inside really good.

If you're lucky, reassemble and everything will work great.

If it's the lock core itself that's busted, but everything else is great, a locksmith would probably fix it for a lot less than $300, and once again, you'd keep your key. Probably wouldn't hurt to have a working core (for another key, of course) from a junkyard if yours is trashed, though.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote