Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-27-2008, 12:25 PM   #1
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Detailed the exterior of the Yaris.

***This is a repost from before we were hacked.***

I took the day off of work for what I call a “mental health” day and decided to detail the exterior of the Yaris. This is the first time since buying the car in June that I've waxed it and I wanted to do it right the first time.

I started by washing the car with warm water and Dawn. I wanted to strip off the existing wax, if any, to have squeaky clean paint. I dried the car using some microfiber towels. Then I pulled out my Griots Garage paint clay and some Meguair’s Ultimate Quick Detailer to use as the lubricant for the clay. I started working around the car in sections using plenty of the Meguair’s detail spray to keep the clay bar from sticking. After each section I thoroughly dried the area and removed the lubricant residue. The clay bar was not picking up very much until I started on the trunk lid. Wow! Quite a bit of “stuff” came off the paint and into the clay. Right about then, a FedEx truck pulled up to drop off a package and the guy asked what I was doing. I explained about how to use the clay and so forth and showed him the clay piece I was using. He couldn’t believe it! I said I had just washed the car with Dawn and now was using the clay before doing the Meguiar’s 3 step process. He drove away convinced that he needed to clay his car soon! I think it took about 1 ˝ hours to clay the whole car. The roof was the worst!

Once the claying was done, I then busted out my Porter Cable 7424 Random Orbit polisher. This tool is a hand and arm lifesaver! I used three different pads: The white one is for cleaning the paint. I used Meguair’s Deep Crystal System Cleaner with this pad. Again, I worked the paint in sections, never allowing the cleaner to fully dry on the paint. It’s a royal pain to remove if allowed to dry (follow the directions on each product’s container for the best results). Once this was done, I proceeded to step 2, the polish. For this I used the black pad. Once this was done came the easy part. Applying the NXT tech wax. As with all the products more is NOT better. Use just enough to get the job done, this also makes removing it so much easier. I applied NXT using a red pad. It goes on like butter! AND, you can do the whole car in one shot, then remove it. A little trick I learned is to put a small microfiber towel under one of the pads on the Porter Cable and use this to remove the wax. This technique works best on the large flat surfaces. Do the tight curves by hand. Just use a clean towel every now and then. To give the wax a longer life, I use the Quick Detailer after every other car wash. It only takes about 15 minutes and the car looks like it was just waxed.

The car is finally done! The metallic fleck in the paint really jumps out in the full sun. I had a heck of time getting a decent picture in the sun without getting sun ‘flares’ in the picture. Anyway, it was a great way to spend the day. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

The clay pad after doing JUST the trunk lid. I used the quick detailer as the "lube" for the clay. The more lube the better so the clay doesn't stick. I did one section at a time, the dried it off with another microfiber towel.

I refolded the clay until I had a nice clean section, then I started on the roof. This is the clay pad after doing JUST the roof!

Using the Porter Cable with a pad and a microfiber towel underneath to remove the NXT wax. This trick works best on the large flat surfaces.

Trying to catch the fleck in the paint.

All done. The picture turned out a little too bright due to the angle of the sun.

Trying to get a picture in the full sun that shows the metallic fleck in the paint.

The 'stuff' I used.

Last edited by Herbicidal; 08-29-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:04 PM   #2
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
I hate people who live in nice weather areas!!!!!!!!!!! Your perfect wax job makes me feel like crap!

Here in the northeast it has snowed, it's raining now, accumulation of snow expected and its 42 degrees out.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:50 AM   #3
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Would your cleaning combination remove overspray?

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:13 PM   #4
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
I hate people who live in nice weather areas!!!!!!!!!!! Your perfect wax job makes me feel like crap!

Here in the northeast it has snowed, it's raining now, accumulation of snow expected and its 42 degrees out.
I'll take that as a compliment! We are finally due for some rain here later this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEHxFALLEN V1.2 View Post
Would your cleaning combination remove overspray?
I'm not 100% certain, but I would say it's worth a shot. Probably depends on how much overspray you are talking about. Worse case is that your paint is in better condition than before, even if all the overspray is not removed.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #5
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
My overspray on my car is pretty noticable, and now that it has been there for a few months... it's actually darkening -_-

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:48 AM   #6
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
my question is what do you do with the pads after you use them once? are they washable/cleanable? or do you use once and then throw them out?

this is the question that has been keeping me from diving into full on detailing...

last big detail I did was use Turtle Wax Rubbing compound and then turtle wax polishing compound...
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
my question is what do you do with the pads after you use them once? are they washable/cleanable? or do you use once and then throw them out?

this is the question that has been keeping me from diving into full on detailing...

last big detail I did was use Turtle Wax Rubbing compound and then turtle wax polishing compound...
Good question and I didn't even think to mention what I do. I read on my Tundra forum (from a professional detailer) that he uses Woolite. That is what I use on the foam pads and the microfiber towels. Warm water, gentle cycle. I wash the pads separate from the towels. You can then let everything air dry or toss in the dryer on a low heat setting but don’t add any of those fabric softener sheets.

I've used the same pads for over 2 years now and other then some discoloration, they still do the job.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:39 AM   #8
Shroomster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
Good question and I didn't even think to mention what I do. I read on my Tundra forum (from a professional detailer) that he uses Woolite. That is what I use on the foam pads and the microfiber towels. Warm water, gentle cycle. I wash the pads separate from the towels. You can then let everything air dry or toss in the dryer on a low heat setting but don’t add any of those fabric softener sheets.

I've used the same pads for over 2 years now and other then some discoloration, they still do the job.
cool, thanks for the info...might be getting one for x-mas (fingers crossed)
Old 10-29-2008, 07:38 PM   #9
rstb88

Drives: Silver Hatchback
If you do use the woolite just be sure it is the one with no additives, no fabric softeners, very bad for the microfibers and the pads.

rstb88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #10
Herbicidal

Good point. I'm using the one that is for all 'delicates'. And I'm comfortable enough in my manliness that I bought it, not my wife!
Old 10-30-2008, 12:07 PM   #11
Shroomster

ok..... lmao...

just one more question so that I understand.....after applying with the buffer when you would remove the layer or whatever, you were putting the towel under everytime or were you removing it all by hand?

I did notice you said you would do the corners and awkward locations by hand but I'm not sure if it pertained to this...

I'm just wanting to know as I did my whole car by hand and if it saves time I'm for it as it took me and the wife like 2 1/2 hours I think to finish my civic hehe
Old 10-30-2008, 01:35 PM   #12
Herbicidal

I used the microfiber towel under the pad on the easy to access places. Such as the hood, roof, trunk lid and door panels. I would do the hard to reach places by hand. Like around the tail lights, headlights, nooks and crannies of the front bumper, rear deck spoiler and so forth. Basically places that the polisher doesn't fit very well. I believe you can buy microfiber buffing pads. I just went the cheap route.

Using the Porter Cable machine is a HUGE time saver! Plus there is no way you can move your hand fast enough to duplicate the buffing action of that polisher. The paint will be consistently smoother than doing it by hand. Not to mention you will still have use of your arms when you're done.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #13
Shroomster

gotcha...hopefully using this will eliminate the "swirl/scratches" hand waxing leaves behind...
Old 10-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #14
Herbicidal

Ahhh...F-it! Drive your car over and I'll do it myself! Save you the hassle. I've got some time this Saturday afternoon.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:56 PM   #15
Stargate YARlantIS

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Great detail Job.....looks Sick as Frack!!!
Stargate YARlantIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:10 PM   #16
Shroomster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
Ahhh...F-it! Drive your car over and I'll do it myself! Save you the hassle. I've got some time this Saturday afternoon.
sure....I'll have to pencil in a few gas stops....
Old 10-30-2008, 10:29 PM   #17
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargate YARlantIS View Post
Great detail Job.....looks Sick as Frack!!!
Thanks! Nice little red pocket rocket you got there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
sure....I'll have to pencil in a few gas stops....
Key word is few!
Old 11-08-2008, 02:17 PM   #18
rstb88

Drives: Silver Hatchback
Did you get those pads and the backing plate in a combo and where? I'm thinking of getting the edge set for my pc so I have double the pads but not sure. Link for those of you who don't know what the edge is. http://www.autogeek.net/edge-dual-ac...arter-kit.html

rstb88 is offline   Reply With Quote