Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #19
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
I believe I bought them from Autopia.com individually. It's been about 2 years so my memory has faded a bit. I already had the hook and loop backing plate, in fact I think it came with my Porter Cable.

That system looks pretty cool.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:21 PM   #20
raz1121

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
www.detailersdomain.com is a good spot for porter cables and conpounds.

Make sure you clay before using a porter cable if not the pad can pick the overspray up and swirl it into the paint.

Also i like your rims I rolling flint mica stock right now i need tint and maybe new wheels.
raz1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 01:23 PM   #21
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
Very warm day today in Connecticut so....I washed the car and put on another coat of sealant. The car looks and feels fantastic!
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:04 AM   #22
sheraz2000

Drives: Vitz 2006
Send a message via MSN to sheraz2000
awesome work.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:12 PM   #23
Herbicidal

Thanks! You have a very clean ride too.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #24
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
argh detail is getting put off AGAIN....maybe next week maybe two weeks.....frigging economy....can't afford to go and get:

- towels
- clay kit
- meguiar's quik detailer liquid >>>>brought back the integrated clear coat on my wife's 92 corolla
- oil for the car
- filter for the car

anyone want to loan me like $500?
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 04:44 AM   #25
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Nice job, Herb. I didn't realize you were in Roseville (unless I just forgot). I was just there last night at the Sonic on Pleasant Grove (I think that was the street). We should do a photoshoot some day.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #26
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Nice job, Herb. I didn't realize you were in Roseville (unless I just forgot). I was just there last night at the Sonic on Pleasant Grove (I think that was the street). We should do a photoshoot some day.
Thanks! No worries, Sonic is about 4 miles from where I live. That would be cool, I've seen your pics and it looks like you have a good eye for photography.

Which reminds me, it's going to be about 65 degrees today, the ol' Yaris needs a bath!
Old 01-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #27
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
hehehe. I live about 20 miles from that Sonic. I live in Rancho Cordova, so I would have to go down Sunrise and some other streets to get there. PM me your number and I'll give you a call next time I'm back in the Sac area (in the Bay right now).
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:01 PM   #28
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
PM me your number and I'll give you a call next time I'm back in the Sac area (in the Bay right now).
The Yaris is now sparkly clean! Now I need to paint the eyelids and get them on my ride.

PM sent.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #29
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S

I just had one question about that. Do you use the "Two Bucket System"? If not, then that could be why the clay is so dirty. I started using that technique a while back and noticed a difference in the shine of the car. I also noticed that I had to use clay LESS often.

However, if you do use the Two Bucket System, then damn! Good thing you clayed it before waxing.
texkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 02:49 PM   #30
Herbicidal

Hi Texkid,

no, I don't use the two bucket system. Prior to claying the car, I washed the whole thing using Dawn dishwashing liquid and warm water in the bucket. Normally using a dishwashing product is a big no no! However, the goal was to start with squeaky clean paint, i.e no residual wax like 'stuff' left behind. Not to take anything away from the two bucket system, but I honestly, don't think that method would have changed these results noticably.

The roof was the worst, followed by the trunk lid and spoiler followed by the hood. The sides of the car had the least amount of "yuck" embedded in the paint. Which stands to reason as a horizontal flat surface will allow particles to sit there, while a vertical surface wouldn't. I believe that all the Yari shipped to the states come from Japan in containers. I can only imagine the amount of rust and stuff that settles into the uncured paint that comes from these containers that spend their life in a very corrosive environment at sea.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:47 AM   #31
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post

The roof was the worst, followed by the trunk lid and spoiler followed by the hood. The sides of the car had the least amount of "yuck" embedded in the paint. Which stands to reason as a horizontal flat surface will allow particles to sit there, while a vertical surface wouldn't. I believe that all the Yari shipped to the states come from Japan in containers. I can only imagine the amount of rust and stuff that settles into the uncured paint that comes from these containers that spend their life in a very corrosive environment at sea.
Ah! The fact that the most was collected from the top surfaces makes total sense and do agree that the two-bucket approach would've done little. I was assuming that it was from daily driving for too long. Most of my dirt from claying are at the front bumper and rear hatch.
texkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #32
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
@ OP: Great info! Never heard of claying a car before, but that photo up there with the claybar in your hand speaks 1000 words!

Thanks for the post with the cool pix.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #33
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
@ OP: Great info! Never heard of claying a car before, but that photo up there with the claybar in your hand speaks 1000 words!

Thanks for the post with the cool pix.
My pleasure! Yeah, I was rather stunned when I 'clayed' the roof and came up with that mess on the bar! I can't believe it's already been like 6 months since I did that exterior detail job! Dang! Where does the time go? I have been using the quick detailer about every other wash and the water still beads off better than a ducks back. However, I need to make some time to give him a "freshening up" now that the we're heading towards spring. Gotta keep my ride lookin' tight! Oh yeah, picked up a Vios badge from Micro Image On Line, so he's getting a new name soon too.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #34
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbicidal View Post
Gotta keep my ride lookin' tight!
I hear that! I bought my car a month ago now, so it's time to think about doing her first wax and everything. I bought the car used, so I don't know what they used before but they are some little spots in the cracks where wax accumulated and wasn't removed. I guess I just need to set a day and get to it.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #35
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
I only clay the car when it’s new or when you have to strip the wax off the car. If you keep it clean once you have wax on it then there will not be the in bedded build up that the clay is needed for.

I don’t like the 2 bucket system. If it’s that dirty then go to a car wash and spray as much as you can off there first. But I do use a 5 gallon bucket and if it gets dirty then I dump it and make a new one.

Mine is getting the pcv filter mod this weekend and a bath then I will post some post some pics. We need to find a laundry mat for 4 loads of our stuff and a load of the car cleaning stuff from lasts weeks strip and wax after a dealer messed it up.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:33 AM   #36
tomato
Super Moderator

Well, I bought it used so I don't know what's under the wax right now. I thought maybe I should give it the clay treatment, then wax it myself.

You travel 4,5K miles a week? Wow. How many miles do you have on your Yaris? I have close to 56K on mine.