Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-07-2016, 02:34 AM   #1
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Thoughts about this?

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-10-years.html

The Yaris is still cheap to maintain BUT pricier than most other Toyota's over 10 yrs, particularly for their average. And higher than the Honda Fit. Why is that? Oil changes at 5k vs 10k? That is all I could fathom. Interesting read.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:33 AM   #2
mrpj

Drives: 2014 Icon+ 1.33l Multidrive
Toyota in the U.K. operate a fixed price service which was quite competitive compared to independent garages.
However, they have recently increased the prices and the Yaris is now almost a staggering 50% more for both intermediate and full service.
e.g. in March paid £195 for a full routine service at my dealer. The exact same routine service is now £290! I suspect this will chase a lot of people away from the main dealer's for their servicing. When mine is next due I will try to haggle them down but I doubt they will reduce to the previous intermediate service price.
The increases are across the whole Toyota range but it does make the Yaris look more expensive now.
mrpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:01 AM   #3
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
I have learnt to avoid using main dealers for servicing or repairing any kind of car, whether Toyota, GM, VW or BMW. A competent private mechanic will tend to make less mistakes, as well as save you lots of money in the long run.

And IMO, that article is baloney. My Echo and Yaris have both proven to be very cheap to maintain, and certainly no more than my wife's Camry. Hardly anything ever seems to go wrong with any of them. Incredible reliability. You can also change oil at longer intervals if you use synthetic oil.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Last edited by tarkus; 07-07-2016 at 08:12 AM.
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:44 AM   #4
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
$90 per year (on average) more than the #3 Camry is no big deal really - and more than made up for by annual gasoline savings. 40 mpg average FTW.

Also, I think that how well (or not) you take care of your individual car can put you well ahead (or behind) those statistical rankings.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:06 AM   #5
mrpj

The only reason I use main dealer servicing is to avoid any problem in the unlikely event of having to make a claim using the 5 year warranty. There would be less opportunity for them to deny a claim in the event of independent servicing. Also, if there is some sort of major failure after the warranty period, and the vehicle has been serviced within the dealer network, there is a better chance of a goodwill gesture from Toyota.
However, because, in the U.K. a dealer service history is not obligatory to maintain warranty, I will be seriously thinking of using an independent next March. Particularly if they will not sufficiently reduce the fixed price. Almost £200 for what will essentially be an engine oil and filter change is silly!
I suppose the glass palace, "free" coffee and "free" wash exterior/vacuum interior has to be paid for somehow.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:22 AM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpj View Post
I suppose the glass palace, "free" coffee and "free" wash exterior/vacuum interior has to be paid for somehow.
This.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #7
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpj View Post
Sadly, these new Taj Mahal dealerships are mandated by the manufacturers. The cost associated with owning and operating these palaces is really putting the squeeze on the dealership owners. Since profit margins on new vehicle sales have always been slim, dealerships need to rely on the service department to foot the bills. Naturally, thanks to the manufacturers wanting to create the ultimate in sales/service environments to attract and retain customers, we see the hit in service costs.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:03 AM   #8
mrpj

Exactly.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:25 PM   #9
billfires

Drives: 2010 3dr LB
I have always done my own oil and filter changes on my daughter's 08 Yaris sedan and my 2010 HB, with synthetic oil, even forgoing the 2 year/25000 mile complimentary service. I have had the dealer do 2 oil and filter changes on my wife's 2015 RAV 4 but declined the offer to schedule her 30000 mile service because the dealership claimed lubricating the doors, hood and back hatch was not included in the 2 previous service visits. Bill C
billfires is offline   Reply With Quote