Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-11-2018, 05:52 PM   #19
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Again, can't argue that lol but from a driving perspective only, guys like Matt Farah drive it and then ramp and rave about how good it is. Something tells me it won't be the same with the new Supra.
That, itself is a bad indication. Great driving car that was praised by The Smoking Tire, and yet still sales are lackluster???
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #20
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
That, itself is a bad indication. Great driving car that was praised by The Smoking Tire, and yet still sales are lackluster???
I could be way off base here, but I feel like when people who can afford that car see the performance numbers on paper, they close their mind to it without considering anything else.

Reminds me of the Tesla bit in the latest episode of Silicon Valley on HBO, where one Model S version going 0-60 at a fraction of a second less than the other version has the guy bummed out. Once that happens enough, the rumor of it being a disappointment propagates and it's downhill from there when at the end of the day, it's probably a fantastic machine.

In a different way, we've been literally watching that happen with the Yaris. Great little car that gets killed by the reviewers and therefore slept on by most people as illustrated by lower sales numbers.

The Supra on the other hand, in automatic only?! That's more than just sales numbers, that's tangible disappointment, imho.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:58 AM   #21
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Quote:
Do you mean bring back the way it was originally, or in a modern form?

The Supra will be here soon. Not sure everyone will be happy with the final specs, but it's coming.

I
I would like to see the return of the classic version with the big curved wing on the back.

I saw a new Supra a couple of years ago at a car show. Very modern looking in an ugly, very angular way.

Last edited by tarkus; 05-12-2018 at 02:47 PM.
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #22
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
I would like to see the return of the classic version with the big curved wing on the back.

I saw a new Supra a couple of years ago at a car show. Very modern looking in an ugly, very angular way.
Yeah, I haven't been a fan of what I've seen so far either.

On Wheelwell
Old 05-14-2018, 01:41 PM   #23
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
To me, this is classic Supra. But then again, I'm old

Old 05-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #24
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
I could be way off base here, but I feel like when people who can afford that car see the performance numbers on paper, they close their mind to it without considering anything else.

Reminds me of the Tesla bit in the latest episode of Silicon Valley on HBO, where one Model S version going 0-60 at a fraction of a second less than the other version has the guy bummed out. Once that happens enough, the rumor of it being a disappointment propagates and it's downhill from there when at the end of the day, it's probably a fantastic machine.

In a different way, we've been literally watching that happen with the Yaris. Great little car that gets killed by the reviewers and therefore slept on by most people as illustrated by lower sales numbers.

The Supra on the other hand, in automatic only?! That's more than just sales numbers, that's tangible disappointment, imho.

It may be that, or it may just be the performance of the NSX just isn't worth its asking price.

The Yaris on the other hand imo as a former Toyota sales, have lower sales numbers because of perceived value. Back then, it was awesome value. However, Toyota hasn't done much in terms of updating it substantially over the years, so for just a couple thousand bucks more, you can get a more refined Corolla (new for new) that has more performance, more safety features, and almost as much mpg as the Yaris.

The Yaris (not counting the iA) was the one model I never sold new. Hell, I sold two (new) Venzas some how. lol.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #25
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...y-lenos-garage
Old 05-14-2018, 04:17 PM   #26
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
base Celica hatchback fastback 5-speed circa 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post

I put 500 miles on a rental one of these, but it was the 4-cylinder w/o the body attachments...suspect it would be a little lighter on it's toes and better balanced than the 6-cylinder. Add the base Celica of this photo to my list.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:31 PM   #27
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
It may be that, or it may just be the performance of the NSX just isn't worth its asking price.

The Yaris on the other hand imo as a former Toyota sales, have lower sales numbers because of perceived value. Back then, it was awesome value. However, Toyota hasn't done much in terms of updating it substantially over the years, so for just a couple thousand bucks more, you can get a more refined Corolla (new for new) that has more performance, more safety features, and almost as much mpg as the Yaris.

The Yaris (not counting the iA) was the one model I never sold new. Hell, I sold two (new) Venzas some how. lol.
Ha

One thing is for sure, it's going to be interesting to watch how the new Supra plays out.

On Wheelwell