Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-06-2007, 09:54 AM   #1
MELOE321

Drives: Black 07 Yaris HB
New Yaris Totaled!

I think it was only about a week ago when I posted this pic of the new Yaris I got for my wife.
Well yesterday (5/5/07) while going to work on the 91 in traffic, my wife was rear ended by a Jetta and puched into a Ram. They were only traveling about 20mph but the front of her car was pretty much jacked. She was ok which is what really counts but I'm pretty sure her car is totaled. As for the other cars, their damage was only minor and they were able to drive away. Damn, I loved that little car but I don't think they're made to drive away after even a small accident. It kept her safe though. She wasn't really hurt, only a mark on her neck from the seat belt. The airbag deployed also but she wasn't burned. I think I'll get her an FJ Cruiser so she'll be able to see a little better over other cars. I love the Yaris, I just don't like it being a total loss after an accident that minor. Well it was fun while it lasted. This is a great site BTW again! Keep up the good work!
MELOE321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
ouch
Old 05-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #3
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
so how about those wheels?
Old 05-06-2007, 10:01 AM   #4
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Glad she is ok!

The little car is designed to have the engine fold under the drivers compartment in frontal collisions keeping the occupants safe. When the body crumples there is less energy transfered to the occupants. In my opinion I would rather replace the vehicle then suffer serious injury from absorbing direct kinetic energy through rigid body structure.

BTW, with fuel costs out there just filling up your FJ this summer will be enough to buy another YARIS.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:12 AM   #5
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by MELOE321 View Post
I think it was only about a week ago when I posted this pic of the new Yaris I got for my wife.
Well yesterday (5/5/07) while going to work on the 91 in traffic, my wife was rear ended by a Jetta and puched into a Ram. They were only traveling about 20mph but the front of her car was pretty much jacked. She was ok which is what really counts but I'm pretty sure her car is totaled. As for the other cars, their damage was only minor and they were able to drive away. Damn, I loved that little car but I don't think they're made to drive away after even a small accident. It kept her safe though. She wasn't really hurt, only a mark on her neck from the seat belt. The airbag deployed also but she wasn't burned. I think I'll get her an FJ Cruiser so she'll be able to see a little better over other cars. I love the Yaris, I just don't like it being a total loss after an accident that minor. Well it was fun while it lasted. This is a great site BTW again! Keep up the good work!
damn thats going to hurt the insurance, since she was obviously following the ram to close.
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:22 AM   #6
blacksan

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
damn thats going to hurt the insurance, since she was obviously following the ram to close.
That is not necessarily so. We have no idea how fast the Jetta was traveling at the time. She could have been pushed a considerable distance before reacting to the collision.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #7
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Glad she's alright man, thats whats important.

For this reason alone (micro car in an SUV world) I keep my wife in the Armada. Screw the 11mpg, at least I know she's safe with the kids.

FJ's are very nice, and Im really liking the new Tundra's. Does your wife have a long commute to work? Does she need such a good MPG car (Yaris)?
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:44 PM   #8
GuySmily

Drives: 2005 Toyota MR2
No way, that sucks... Your pictures convinced me to buy a black Yaris instead of white =p

Sorry about the accident. Glad she was okay.
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:04 PM   #9
Ryosuke

Drives: yaris
Too bad, I really sorry, glad she's alright.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:04 PM   #10
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
Glad the wife is alright. Sucks to see the Yarii die from a crash that minor.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #11
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
Good to know every1 is alive =]

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:44 PM   #12
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Wow! That's a bummer! Sorry to hear your loss, glad your wife is okay. Man does that suck. Got a new car and then wham! So I assume insurance will give a decent check? Get a RAV4, they have decent mileage, not to say the FJ Cruiser is bad but I don't know. Its up to you! Good luck!
Old 05-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #13
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I'm all about the new Camry. Its a slick car.

If shes alright, nothing else matters.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:16 PM   #14
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
glad to hear your wife is unharmed. think about suing (sp) the driver of that Jetta?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:21 PM   #15
blacksan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
glad to hear your wife is unharmed. think about suing (sp) the driver of that Jetta?
A civil suit would be useless without personal injury. if you could prove loss of income due to injury then a settlement would most likely get you a little jingle. The only way to prosper in these situations is through permanent disability. I personally would much rather keep on trucking with a bruise vs disability.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #16
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
true, true...i thought there was something else other than injuries that one can use for a suit.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:24 PM   #17
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan View Post
A civil suit would be useless without personal injury. if you could prove loss of income due to injury then a settlement would most likely get you a little jingle. The only way to prosper in these situations is through permanent disability. I personally would much rather keep on trucking with a bruise vs disability.

and trust me a permanent disability takes years to settle, my cousin is still fighting 5yrs later...sure they wanted to settle for a small amount, but he has brain damage, needs 24hr care..
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:01 PM   #18
MELOE321

Drives: Black 07 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
She wasn't following the Ram too close. It was one of those cases when traffic, typical of the 91, stopped fast and suddenly. The girl that hit my wife first said she was trying to get from the fast lane to the slow lane because her next exit was comming up. The accident was right before the exit so the Jetta was obviously looking into the next lane, not paying attention in fron of her. My wife only got close to the Ram when traffic stopped and not following close.
MELOE321 is offline   Reply With Quote