Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
bkndacn

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
Old school to Power?

I have a 2009 3dr Yaris but I didn't get the power package b/c I was trying to save $$...

Soo the last time that I was in the dealership I asked the guy about how much it would be to convert the manual windows and locks to power doors and windows ... He basically told me that I really wasn't doable .... It really isn't that big of a deal but i was just curious if he was talking outa his @$$? and was being lazy and not wanting to it
bkndacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
most decent car stereo shops will be able to find a way to do it for you.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

Drives: 2008 3DR 5M
^
Yup. You can retrofit power options. Not sure how much it would cost you, but it's certainly doable.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHatch08 View Post
Not sure how much it would cost you...
...or how reliable they would be in the long run. I'm basing that on the many aftermarket non functioning electrical accessories and add-ons I saw come through the shop in my 3.5 years working at a GM service center. People would come in with A/M moonroofs, cruise control, pwr locks and/or windows, etc, etc that were not working. A lot of the time (especially if they weren't the original onwers) people did even know they had A/M items on their cars. Finding replacement parts proved to be impossible, as most of this was cheap, one-time stuff with no parts and/or technical support.

That was a few years ago, so things may have improved since then.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
RedHatch08
Canadetroiter

Drives: 2008 3DR 5M
Car stereo / electronics shops are like anything else, whether it's body shops, mechanics, etc., there are great ones, terrible ones, and everything in between.

Do your research, get referrals, get multiple quotes, and do your homework before spending your money.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:23 PM   #6
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
If its up in the thousands, why not consider selling it private party, and stash the money in another used Yaris with the desired options? If you make two great deals, you'll only be out tax and title. As the reliability of the Yaris is generally outstanding, swapping for a higher mileage Yaris should not be a huge concern if you're in it for the long term ownership anyway.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #7
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
Hey, I think Kaotic, on here...his sedan didnt come w/ power options or anything...he had them added on (I THINK)...you should PM him....or wait till the meet to get the details in person :)
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkndacn View Post
I have a 2009 3dr Yaris but I didn't get the power package b/c I was trying to save $$...

Soo the last time that I was in the dealership I asked the guy about how much it would be to convert the manual windows and locks to power doors and windows ... He basically told me that I really wasn't doable .... It really isn't that big of a deal but i was just curious if he was talking outa his @$$? and was being lazy and not wanting to it
Well, power locks are easy, sorta. If you want a switch too its a little more work. Power windows require a bit more retrofitting. You could also do just the fronts if money is an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
...or how reliable they would be in the long run. I'm basing that on the many aftermarket non functioning electrical accessories and add-ons I saw come through the shop in my 3.5 years working at a GM service center. People would come in with A/M moonroofs, cruise control, pwr locks and/or windows, etc, etc that were not working. A lot of the time (especially if they weren't the original onwers) people did even know they had A/M items on their cars. Finding replacement parts proved to be impossible, as most of this was cheap, one-time stuff with no parts and/or technical support.

That was a few years ago, so things may have improved since then.
Well my personal experience is even OEM fails, which is why I went with no power anything originally. The DIY cruise control on here doesn't seem to have any problems posted, and I know a ton of people have done that. I'll agree with the power locks though, I had to go back in to get them "adjusted" and finally add a 2nd actuator, because my door locks would just stop working. They have been fine for over a year now though.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
bkndacn

Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
If its up in the thousands, why not consider selling it private party, and stash the money in another used Yaris with the desired options? If you make two great deals, you'll only be out tax and title. As the reliability of the Yaris is generally outstanding, swapping for a higher mileage Yaris should not be a huge concern if you're in it for the long term ownership anyway.
Well its not bugging me to the point of me selling my car ....just one of those "I wish I would haves"

Does any one know about how much I would cost?
Old 07-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkndacn View Post
Does any one know about how much I would cost?
Depends on the corner you work and the services offered.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #11
bkndacn

^
Old 07-03-2010, 06:28 PM   #12
Wowzers78

Drives: 2007 Silver 3dr hatch
Labor would be the most expensive part, you can save a ton of money by DIY(in both the Yaris and on the streetcorner)

heres a link to a DIY posted by a member
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...IY+Power+locks

Should be less than $50 for power locks

heres a link to a DIY for power windows:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2146

Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 07-05-2010, 12:26 PM   #13
husaynkhan

Drives: new vitz
i want to make all the power window practicable after removing the key from the car.
husaynkhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:37 AM   #14
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
the dealership says it's impossible because it's not worth the money invested. it's a $500 option from the factory. you'll spend over 500 in parts alone. plus, wires have to be run, and programming has to be done to the vehicle since everything goes through the body module or whatever module controls windows/locks.

the crap you get from an audio place is just that...crap. it wont last, the buttons break, the relays burn up, and the motors break down. they wont last a few years and it'll be what you pay for. plus they'll tear up the inside of your door skins/frame mounting hardware in there and drilling through the bracing.

any way, you can get a kit from just about anyone that sells car audio or 'performance parts'. i think garm has a set on his site, and a set of door locks as well...with key fob. any way, check it all out before you decide to buy junk.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote