Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-25-2015, 07:43 AM   #37
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I'm curious how this compares to the 1zz TB mod with the manifold port. The throttle response with those 2 mods are a big increase.

Just curious as to whether it's worth $300 USD...
Old 11-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #38
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
...or buy my lightly used Pivot Throttle Controller?
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:41 AM   #39
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I'm curious how this compares to the 1zz TB mod with the manifold port. The throttle response with those 2 mods are a big increase.

Just curious as to whether it's worth $300 USD...
You can't really compare them. They both have different functions.

The 1ZZ TB & manifold port you have, provides better airflow to your engine, which in turn will create more HP and torque. Unfortunatly, it will still have the operational delay that most DBW cars have.

The sprint booster, on the other hand, does not increase hoursepower, or torque it just allows the TB to open without any delay.

Ultimatly they both translate into faster 0-60 times.

Now, my question for everyone is, if we were to drag race 2 Yarii, one with the 1zz TB and ported manifold, and the other with the Sprint Booster unit, which one do you think would win?
Old 11-26-2015, 06:45 AM   #40
tmontague

I have to disagree on that one. The 1zz tb mod alone increases throttle response as the butterfly valve opens ☓ amount per depression of the pedal, more air flow in coming in due to the large diameter when compared to the 1nz TB.

The sprint booster does nothing to speed up the electrical signal as that would be a much more invasive thing to do.

All it does is simply as voltage to the signal making the ECU think you are pushing the pedal down further. Hence why the last 25-30% of your pedal throw is useless w/ the sprint booster.

People have taken apart the SB's and they are very simple pieces. If you aren't shy about punching the throttle you can do what a SB does yourself. People like them because they allow you to be shy with the pedal and have the car go like you're flooring it.

The SB will not improve 0-60 times as per their website. It will only reduce that milisecond it takes to push the pedal down to the floor instead of only 70%

A car w/ a 1zz tb w/ a port matched diameter manifold would win as the car w/ just the SB had no actual gains in engine performance, just the sensation of being so.

That being said, since Toyota's are virtually untunable, you don't get to experience the full benefit of intake a exhaust mods so the difference wouldn't be very drastic.

Just my $0.02
Old 11-26-2015, 06:06 PM   #41
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Sprint booster makes the response time (lag) faster and the 1zz TB swap even intake manifold are not at all the same. Yes it responds quicker but due to more air mass being accessible. The lag is still there, it's electrical and totally different. Theirs also the Weapon R which works great. Their used on many drive by wire cars even heavily boosted Audi's.

Toyota's can be tuned with a piggy back, stand alone or if you actually can manage to find someone who's cracked them.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:23 PM   #42
tmontague

yes they are technically tunable, I guess I was more referring to the ease of doing it compared to a Subie access port) or even a Honda.

The SB makes it feel like the response time is faster but it is just increasing your pedal throw. It is not and does not actually speed up the electrical impulse or signal to the ECU. It simply allows the driver to depress the pedal much less to get the car to WOT.

I've read various other car forums to learn about the SB and for the most part they had positive results. However they almost all agree that it is a simple device that does what you can achieve with your own foot but makes it feel much faster because you don't actually have to push the throttle down much to get to that point.

I can't remember what forum it was but some techy guy took it apart and wrote about how it was just a voltage booster but had no way of actually effecting the electrical signal speed it self.

I think it's likely a fun mod, just not cheap for what it is that's all.
Old 11-26-2015, 06:34 PM   #43
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
yes they are technically tunable, I guess I was more referring to the ease of doing it compared to a Subie access port) or even a Honda.

The SB makes it feel like the response time is faster but it is just increasing your pedal throw. It is not and does not actually speed up the electrical impulse or signal to the ECU. It simply allows the driver to depress the pedal much less to get the car to WOT.

I've read various other car forums to learn about the SB and for the most part they had positive results. However they almost all agree that it is a simple device that does what you can achieve with your own foot but makes it feel much faster because you don't actually have to push the throttle down much to get to that point.

I can't remember what forum it was but some techy guy took it apart and wrote about how it was just a voltage booster but had no way of actually effecting the electrical signal speed it self.

I think it's likely a fun mod, just not cheap for what it is that's all.
OK

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote