Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-07-2007, 12:07 AM   #19
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
I'm happy to see you working on this. I'll be in the market for something like this shortly.
Regarding the MAF signal, what I usually see people do is one of the following:

1. Reprogram ECU to accept higher volage input (usually not possible on newer cars)

2. Oversize MAF housing to reduce air velocity (requires retune of ECU or piggyback to recalibrate for the new lower signal inputs)

3. Install resistor in-line between MAF and ECU on signal wire to recalibrate the maximum voltage to the ECU (this also requires recalibrating the ECU software for the different signal, or a piggyback to adjust).

4. Clamp MAF signal to max voltage ECU likes. This will usually benefit from a retune also.

5. Install any one of many piggy-back options which will adaptively do the above for you by constantly monitoring and adapting the different signals the ECU is depending on. This sometimes doesn't work well due to the adaptive nature of the stock ECU, which sometimes "undoes" the corrections the piggy-back is trying to implement.

6. Or you can always dump the MAF all together and convert to MAP, by either reprograming the ECU to accept MAP signals/voltages instead of MAF signal or by dumping the stock ECU all together and running a stand alone ECU.
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:56 AM   #20
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
I am not 100% sure… but so far the only difference I have found between a Turbo kit for the xA/xB and the Yaris has been… the Intercooler on the Yaris needs to be a little bit thinner… 3” in thickness, as opposed to the Scion 4”… I think the tubing has all the same bends too… But that is the last thing I need to research, and admittedly it is much harder… Short of buying both kits and checking it out for shits and giggles… And I am way to poor for that… Plus I don’t think our Venders want us knowing that either way!

Did anyone else compare the 2 on that link????

Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:27 AM   #21
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
yaris turbo kits WILL be available before the end of summer, I can say that for sure :)
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #22
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrman View Post
yaris turbo kits WILL be available before the end of summer, I can say that for sure :)
Don't you have an automatic? I highly doubt a transmission built to propel a 106HP 2300# car will take the extra power and torque.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:21 PM   #23
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Drives: 07 PW Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Z33 View Post
I'm happy to see you working on this. I'll be in the market for something like this shortly.
Regarding the MAF signal, what I usually see people do is one of the following:

1. Reprogram ECU to accept higher volage input (usually not possible on newer cars)

2. Oversize MAF housing to reduce air velocity (requires retune of ECU or piggyback to recalibrate for the new lower signal inputs)

3. Install resistor in-line between MAF and ECU on signal wire to recalibrate the maximum voltage to the ECU (this also requires recalibrating the ECU software for the different signal, or a piggyback to adjust).

4. Clamp MAF signal to max voltage ECU likes. This will usually benefit from a retune also.

5. Install any one of many piggy-back options which will adaptively do the above for you by constantly monitoring and adapting the different signals the ECU is depending on. This sometimes doesn't work well due to the adaptive nature of the stock ECU, which sometimes "undoes" the corrections the piggy-back is trying to implement.

6. Or you can always dump the MAF all together and convert to MAP, by either reprograming the ECU to accept MAP signals/voltages instead of MAF signal or by dumping the stock ECU all together and running a stand alone ECU.
1.Unfortunately reflashing or reprogramming interface is unavailable at this time.

2.Unfortunately reflashing or reprogramming interface is unavailable at this time.

3.Unfortunately reflashing or reprogramming interface is unavailable at this time.

4.The problem with this, like I mention above, is that the ecu will look at preprogrammed values. They will not be in line with the amount of airflow it would see N/A with a certain throttle voltage and air temp. It will think the MAF is bad. Now not while the car is just daily driving, Just when under boost when it counts!

5.The problem with many piggybacks is also the fact that there aren't that many outputs. they usually will allow 256 point adjustments for (1) 0-5 volt analog input. Some will do 02 feedback manipulation, BUT they only work well on older ECU's. Not the CANBUS system we see in the Toyotas and many OEM applications.

6.Unfortunately reflashing or reprogramming interface is unavailable at this time.
DTM_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:23 PM   #24
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutzoids View Post
I am not 100% sure… but so far the only difference I have found between a Turbo kit for the xA/xB and the Yaris has been… the Intercooler on the Yaris needs to be a little bit thinner… 3” in thickness, as opposed to the Scion 4”… I think the tubing has all the same bends too… But that is the last thing I need to research, and admittedly it is much harder… Short of buying both kits and checking it out for shits and giggles… And I am way to poor for that… Plus I don’t think our Venders want us knowing that either way!

Did anyone else compare the 2 on that link????

They are different in many ways. The intercooler piping will not bolt up whatsoever, the downpipes will not bolt up tot he Yaris cat, midpipe, ETC.
The only good thing about these kits is the fact that they have a nice turbo manifold that is reliable.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:24 PM   #25
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrbill View Post
Don't you have an automatic? I highly doubt a transmission built to propel a 106HP 2300# car will take the extra power and torque.
Yaris automatic trans will take up to 190FTLBS of torque. Above that it will depend on the abuse it will take daily.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #26
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
Techtom do list the NCP91 ECU as one that's compatible with their reprogramming tool. TRD also offer different variations for the Japan and Asian market Vitz Cup teams as well as for the OEM Toyota turbo models found in those markets.

I'm confident there will be reflash options for our stock ECU more readily available at some point. The main delay would be lack of a market/demand not complexity since many US based tuners have already proven that Canbus and other complexities in newer ECUs are only small hurdles in cracking and reprogramming the code.
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #27
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrbill View Post
I know what thats all about : )
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #28
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM_Yaris View Post
Yaris automatic trans will take up to 190FTLBS of torque. Above that it will depend on the abuse it will take daily.

may I ask how you know this?
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:57 PM   #29
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Z33 View Post
Techtom do list the NCP91 ECU as one that's compatible with their reprogramming tool. TRD also offer different variations for the Japan and Asian market Vitz Cup teams as well as for the OEM Toyota turbo models found in those markets.

I'm confident there will be reflash options for our stock ECU more readily available at some point. The main delay would be lack of a market/demand not complexity since many US based tuners have already proven that Canbus and other complexities in newer ECUs are only small hurdles in cracking and reprogramming the code.
I spoke with Tadashi personally, he has no will to mess with 2000+ toyota ecu's. Now if the supra comes out next year then maybe he will reconcider.

If TRD comes out with a supercharger or turbo option then a TRD reflash will help eliminate the barriers.
I hope that happens soon.
Unitl then AEM will have a unit out within months for many 4cyl. toyotas.
I agree however that demand holds back the tehnology not the CANBUS.
Just that at the present time no one has any tool available that will work with this particular ecu.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:00 PM   #30
DTM_Yaris
Turbo Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
may I ask how you know this?
We have been building a Time Attack Yaris. We originally wanted to go with an Auto. After sending the internals to one of our sponsors they came to the conclusion that it was limited to approx 190 Ftlbs.
We chose to go with the manual and cryo.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #31
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
good to know :)
Old 01-07-2007, 07:24 PM   #32
spkrman
Banned

Quote:
We have been building a Time Attack Yaris. We originally wanted to go with an Auto. After sending the internals to one of our sponsors they came to the conclusion that it was limited to approx 190 Ftlbs.
We chose to go with the manual and cryo.
why not build up the auto?

There are options for auto TC's, gotta be a way to do something with the yaris trans.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:39 PM   #33
itsme
I've made a post!

Drives: Scion Xb
Send a message via AIM to itsme
how would the turbo charger effect the ecu heat wise? since the ecu is sitting in the engine bay like right above the headers (somewhat)
itsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:39 PM   #34
calmcool

Drives: Echo Hatchback
Spkrman, How much horsepower do you have in your car? Do you know automatic trans don't pick up torque ! but it suck the power!
calmcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:16 AM   #35
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
while we're on the subject...

From what I understand, when running a turbo, it is preferred as a basic tweak to richen the air-fuel mixture in order to reduce knocking.

Seeing as this ECU is so far quite hard to trick, would it stand to reason that a workaround, (when working with a low-boost turbo anyway), could be the usage of a higher octane fuel?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:23 AM   #36
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
while we're on the subject...

From what I understand, when running a turbo, it is preferred as a basic tweak to richen the air-fuel mixture in order to reduce knocking.

Seeing as this ECU is so far quite hard to trick, would it stand to reason that a workaround, (when working with a low-boost turbo anyway), could be the usage of a higher octane fuel?
No, unless you want to run C16 all the time, and there is still risks doing that. The car needs to be tuned for the turbo. Unfortunately c16 will kill the 02 sensors in short order.

You want to run around 11:1 AFR under open loop conditions. The car as stock is probably close to 13:1. Youll burn the motor down in short order without a tune.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote