Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-17-2019, 08:34 PM   #1
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Exclamation Brake line installation warning!

I installed my new OEM rubber brake lines last week in an orientation that appeared to look correct. I was skimming through the repair manual and noted that the brake line was meant to be installed a slightly different way. Thinking I could be ruining my new lines due to pinching and also thinking this may have been the reasons my SS lines failed a few months ago, I went to properly reinstall them the other day.

You can see the loop made on the part of the brake line behind the knuckle. It is supposed to go back and then loop back around and under the line and then up to the hard line connection.

***Take note that I am running aftermarket coil overs (BC Racing) which may position the brake line bracket at a different height/orientation***

Turns out that the way I had them installed was the most correct way possible when the wheel is turned lock to lock. I highly recommend you do not install them the way the manual states as you will likely rip your line off of your car under full lock turning. Check out the pics below for an explanation.

Factory repair manual orientation:

The line doesn't look too stressed and it seems fine when the steering wheel is pointed straight

Steering wheel turned to full lock

you could hear the line being stretch while turning the wheel (new lines are stiff). The line was absolutely maxed out. This would lead to failure over time

My "common sense" orientation:

the line isn't very stressed when wheels pointed straight, although the factory way appears to look slightly less stressed with the wheel pointed straight ahead.

Turned one way at full lock

look very easy on the line

Turned the other way at full lock

This is the most stressed position but it still isn't terrible

Bottom line: Check full lock to lock of steering after installed new brake lines just to be sure!