Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-05-2019, 08:25 PM   #1
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Drives: light blue liftback
Someone Cracked the Factory ECU

Well it looks like someone finally figured out how to crack the factory ECU. I'm still doing some testing, but initial tests look pretty promising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH9nHxnjCVc
Old 08-06-2019, 08:27 AM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
They bypassed the electrical rev limiter?
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #3
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Is this your youtube channel? I want more details!
Old 08-06-2019, 10:39 AM   #4
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

My channel my car.

They upped the rev limiter from 6600 to 7400, increased timing to run on 93, removed the top speed limiter, and increased the valve timing a bit more.

So far the car is still sitting on a trailer so I haven't done any testing aside from idle and rev it, but that'll happen this weekend if all goes to plan.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #5
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
YES. Need more details!!! With this crack, can injectors be controlled?

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:08 PM   #6
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

Yes from what I was told injectors can be controlled I believe he leaned it out a touch for me as well but I won't know until I get it off the trailer and look at the logs.

I'm not sure how much remote tuning can be done since the guy who did the crack had to have my ecu in order to make changes.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:55 PM   #7
Leegamer

How about Dbw adjustments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #8
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

I'm not sure on that one
Old 08-06-2019, 02:12 PM   #9
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Shit just got a bit more interesting around these parts, eh?

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:12 PM   #10
heeroyuy01195
Post count means nothing.

Drives: AW11, NCP91, Old Motorcycles
Subscribed :D
heeroyuy01195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:24 PM   #11
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
I'm not sure on that one
If they can do DBW adjustment to get rid of rev hang, I'd buy another ecu just to send to them to crack and adjust.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:38 PM   #12
xnamerxx
0-60 in slow

The throttle hang is a complicated problem, alot of it caused by the really heavy and big factory flywheel. Even with the lightweight steel one on this engine it happens a bit.

The only thing I'm seeing in my logs is the throttle % going from 16 to 17 right as it nears 1k rpms which it does to keep the engine from stalling.

But once everything can be validated and I get the go ahead from this tuner, I'll give out their info.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:40 PM   #13
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Yes definitely interested. I'd love to buy another XD ecu and have them raise the rev limiter push timing for 93 octane and get rid of the governor.

This would really help tie me over until I go standalone
Old 08-06-2019, 07:55 PM   #14
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnamerxx View Post
Well it looks like someone finally figured out how to crack the factory ECU. I'm still doing some testing, but initial tests look pretty promising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH9nHxnjCVc
Game changer for sure.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:39 PM   #15
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
If I could get rid of my AEM F/IC and run a tuned stock ECU, I'd be grinnin' from ear to ear.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:00 AM   #16
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
How about Dbw adjustments?
Time to be a Debbie Downer. I'm all in favor of pushing performance limits but I want to urge caution in this specific area.

Having recently spent some time looking at the "unintended acceleration" issue investigations from a few years back, I would be very hesitant to do anything related to throttle control. The system is specifically designed to be resistant to unexpected feedback but as we all know, there are circumstances that will cause very bad things to happen. There's a reason they don't want you in the code, this being one of the bigger ones. It's considered a 10/10 safety critical feature by the FMVSS, meaning that a failure of the system can result in death or serious injury.

I'm still planning on using a standalone (MegaSquirt) ECU for any crazy 1NZ builds and going with cable throttle. That means you can do whatever you want with rev limits, injectors, cam timing, etc. and not have to worry about a critical safety feature going awry and remove the laggy throttle response to boot.

That said, this is still a major achievement and I don't want to besmirch xnamerxx's success.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:16 AM   #17
Leegamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Time to be a Debbie Downer. I'm all in favor of pushing performance limits but I want to urge caution in this specific area.

Having recently spent some time looking at the "unintended acceleration" issue investigations from a few years back, I would be very hesitant to do anything related to throttle control. The system is specifically designed to be resistant to unexpected feedback but as we all know, there are circumstances that will cause very bad things to happen. There's a reason they don't want you in the code, this being one of the bigger ones. It's considered a 10/10 safety critical feature by the FMVSS, meaning that a failure of the system can result in death or serious injury.

I'm still planning on using a standalone (MegaSquirt) ECU for any crazy 1NZ builds and going with cable throttle. That means you can do whatever you want with rev limits, injectors, cam timing, etc. and not have to worry about a critical safety feature going awry and remove the laggy throttle response to boot.

That said, this is still a major achievement and I don't want to besmirch xnamerxx's success.
It's very common to use standalone like haltech to control DBW, so I don't understand the problem.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:30 AM   #18
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post

Hmm interesting, I don't think I would play around w/ the throttle too much. In the end there is no substitute for a standalone for what I want to do with my 2zr. But if the price is right this would help free up a bit more power and utilize 93 octane pump gas while I save up the funds for a standalone and tune