Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-18-2017, 11:13 PM   #1
X-WingYaris

Drives: Toyota
rear ended today, dash lights are on

Earlier today my 2015 Yaris LE was rear ended. Damage wasnt too bad. The car took the hit pretty well. I will definitely need a new hatch though. It is dented along the line above the license plate where the Toyota Logo is. So far I cannot tell of any signs of frame damage. The vehicle that hit me was a 95 Chevy 1500. After I got hit, the seat belt light and air bag warning light are lit on my dash constantly even if I have my seat belt in.
I will try to take my car to the Toyota dealership to see if they will check the light out for me (hopefully for free) and make sure it isnt serious. I just dont want the airbag to deploy when I am driving down the road. Has anyone else encountered this after an accident?
X-WingYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
X-WingYaris

Got it checked out by Toyota.

Their write up was "the occupant and classification sensors not working on left or right rear. performed a zero point calibration and sensors failed sensitivity check. SAS light is on and cannot say whether airbags will deploy or not if vehicle is in another accident. They advise not to drive vehicle until inspected by body shop". (for liability reasons)

Has anyone else experienced these warnings after an accident?
Does this sound like I can drive my vehicle to work and back (approx 12 miles round trip if that)?
Old 02-20-2017, 04:30 PM   #3
B.B._07

Drives: 07 5dr
Looks like the rear crash sensors have been damaged when you got rear ended. So I wouldn't count on them deploying any airbags if you get in another more serious rear end accident. The front sensors are fine and so are the airbags. Go to a body shop and get the insurance work started as you probably don't want to drive the car for a long time like this.
B.B._07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #4
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand it, the airbag system is completely disabled if a fault is detected. No airbags will deploy no matter where you get hit if the airbag light is on. This is to prevent an airbag from going off when it's not supposed to.

So, until you replace the sensors that need replacing, you have no airbag system.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:04 PM   #5
X-WingYaris

B.B.07- I went ahead to start the insurance work and waiting on them to call me back to see where we go from here. I will probably send it to the Toyota collision center

scratchpaddy- I hope its just the rear sensors. I would hope Toyota would have told me that if there is a sensor issue in the airbags they became completely disabled.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:21 PM   #6
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
rear sensors are damaged. SRS is disabled when warning lights are on. the car will drive just fine, just SRS disabled. usually airbags do not deploy from rear end collision, the seatbelt tensioner might deploy. (not sure if yaris has those, I haven't looked) if there was active headrests, they would deploy. usually air bags only go off for side and front impact.
why is the persons insurance not paying for you to have a rental car?
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:41 PM   #7
X-WingYaris

I called their insurance to make the claim, just waiting for them to call back. That's as far as its gotten.

Thanks for the info. Trying to not drive the car unless I have to. They should pay for the rental

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2017, 11:16 PM   #8
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
no. they are obligated to pay for your rental! (plus any damages to vehicle or person and any loss of income)
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote