Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-13-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
Vince87

Drives: 2007 2DR Yaris
Need help with audio system upgrade !

Hi guys !

It's my first time posting in this section since I never did any important audio upgrade to any of my cars except headunit/back speakers. I want to say thanks to yall for your help and for sharing your knowledge.

I spend a lot on time/day in my Yaris (2 door HB) and really want to put in some better sound and decided to add a 2-way amp + component speaker set in the front door to my current setup which is :
- Pioneer DEH3800MP Headunit (50W MOSFET x 4 channels)
- Kenwood KSC SW-10 5x7" Powered Subwoofer (150W)
- 6.5" Clarion Speakers in the back (dont even remember what model but they look to be the Clarion SRG1620R 2 Way 6.5" Coaxial (35W RMS), they're probably total crap since I dont know much about car audio and had no idea what I was doing when I bought them)

I started reading some of your posts and realised the best option available was a good set of component speakers in the front. I bought and old (but still working perfect even if it has a few scuff on the cover) Clarion APA 250 for 50CA$ from a friend and I'm waiting for a set of Precision Power PPI 356CS 6.5" (they looks to be the best bang for the buck and reviews are amazing). I have experience installing headunits, speakers and powered subs but never installed an amp and component speakers, so here where I would need your advices:

- best gauge of wire to use
- best place to go through the firewall (I already have the + wire of the kenwood sub and the ECU wire for the DIY cruise control going through the one under the carpet on passenger side, should I get all of them with the new amp wire through the grommet behind the battery, my friend who's a mech told me that it was too hot and could take fire where they currently are)
- best location for the amp (under the passenger seat is probably not an option since we have a lot of snow here in Quebec and the carpets get too damp, I thought maybe under the backseat would be great but dont know if there's enough space, maybe behind the glove box ? The objective is to keep a functionnal trunk that can be opened easily to take the spare tire, traction aids and jump cable that are in the spare compartment)
- best location for the tweeters (A pillars or doors) and crossovers (in the doors, under the dash?)
- I have also have a set of Alpine Sps69C3 6X9 3-way speakers (50W RMS) collecting dust in the garage, would it be worth it to swap the clarion for those ? if so, is it easy to fit 6x9 speakers in the back ?).
- Should I change the stock wiring to the speakers and if so, am I supposed to solder the new wires close to the connectors in the back of the headunit (it might sound stupid but I never did that so it may be worth asking)?
- Would it be worth it (keep in mind that I'm really low on $ so the cheapest it the best) to sound deaden the doors ? My friends doing it the poor mans way and are putting 2 layers of Resisto RedZone (bitumen/silicone membrane for roof waterproofing) to reduce vibrations and road noises instead of Dynamat. I did the quarter panels with it and was quite satisfied with the result (really reduced the road noise from the rear wheels, killed the vibrations from the speakers), but for high quality speakers would it be really worth to buy quality material?

Sorry for the long post and thanks a lot for reading it I really appreciate your help !

Vince
Vince87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
at work, don't have enough time to read the entire post.... for cable size... always go with at large as you can afford... for you tho, anything 4awg or thicker (smaller awg #) would work fine. You might be safe with 8awg (i'd have to do the math to be sure)... but 4awg isn't too expensive, and gives you room to expand in the future, if you choose to.

there are grommets in the firewall on the passenger side that should work well... there are also some on the driver side that might work (behind the battery)
Old 12-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Vince87

Drives: 2007 2DR Yaris
Thanks ! I'll go with the 4AWG... is there's a difference between the cheap generic wire at the electronic store and those "audio wires" in specialized shops ?
Vince87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
skdragon

Drives: Yaris 4d 2010, charcoil Gray
hey i have the same doubt on how to go through my firewall in my 4 door yaris i havent take out the battery but i dont see anywhere to go trhough. Please Help
skdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
My firewall is still a virgin...

You guys will have to wait a little over a month before I start on my firewall. It'll happen, lots of pictures, but that interim time will be the killer for you though.

here's a hint:

Old 03-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #6
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
On the drivers side, right behind the battery is a spot that you can easily fit 4awg through. People have talked about there being a good spot (grommet) on the passenger side that will fit 1/0awg no problem.

Right now I have 4awg... if I would've had a cordless drill in hand when I ran the stuff... It would've been 2/0 awg (just barely couldn't fit it without drilling).
Old 03-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
skdragon

thanks for the reply Bro ^^ iam gonna start working on it tomorrow morning
Old 03-06-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
skdragon

hi again. Sry to bother so much but i have a 2k10 Yaris 4door (sedan) and i have remove my battery but i dont see the hole i mena i know the fire wall has like this kind of a carpet put on it but i dont wanna destroy that cause i want it to look as normally as i can. Can someone tell me please what i can do. Please i have been working for like 2 hours and i have worked with other cars before ut never a Toyota or a Yaris before please help.