Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #55
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ I have to agree, it doesn't quite make sense.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:30 PM   #56
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob323 View Post
But the stock reg can't increase the fuel pressure to compensate for boost as it doesn't reference manifold pressure. I don't have access to my manuals atm, what is the stock fuel pressure for an echo?
Well when I began my project I was about sure I was in need of an aftermarket regulator. Infact I was going to order an RS5 cosworth regulator until my mech had news from somewhere abroad that the stock one can handle the setup of 1Bar boost. I don't know the exact details, all I know is that if I decide to increase boost, the regulator needs to be replaced aswell.
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #57
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

stock pump and regulator will get you to about 10 psi. Art's xB gave up at that level.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #58
rob323
Don't drive it, RALLY it!

Drives: 1999 echo PRC rally car
If the stock fuel pressure is say 40 psi (just a guess) and you plan on running 10 psi of boost, you should take your injectors out and get someone to flow them at 30 psi (40 minus 10) to make sure they are still atomising correctly otherwise fuel economy and power will suffer and you will probably find that you are maxxing out the duty cycle of the injectors early due to insufficient fuel pressure behind them.
rob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #59
Parmas

Today tuneup was finally scheduled for next saturday... During some discussion about my turbo setup, we noticed that the rear mounting needs to be upgraded since the space between the turbo and brake divider lines is only about 2cm. Also need to adjust clutch pedal since it immediately works after you begin to release pedal.

In the meantime these were installed:
- G-tech gauge + G-force sensor
- Dedicated pc for engine management
- Motorized lcd
- AEM boost controller
- Ice wiring system

Will update with some pics next week
Old 05-02-2009, 07:05 AM   #60
Parmas

Well tune up was tried this week and we could not get the most out of it because of the stock regulator (reached 250whp). Although during the tune up session the vertical link suffered overheating and needs replacement.

Yesteday I made a video for your reference although it needs a better tuneup and lots of shielding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfzzY...e=channel_page

I will post a better one when the tuneup is 100% complete
Old 05-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #61
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

What's a vertical link?

congrats on your tune so far! (told ya about about the limits of the regulator!)
Old 05-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #62
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmas View Post
... of the stock regulator (reached 250whp). ...
HOLY crap
Old 05-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #63
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

yeah he should get well over 300 with what he's doing...
Old 05-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #64
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
One day... one day.

Nice work thus far man!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #65
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
yeah he should get well over 300 with what he's doing...
jesus, cant wait to see BOTH of your motors at the end of tuning
Old 05-02-2009, 07:24 PM   #66
Parmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
What's a vertical link?

congrats on your tune so far! (told ya about about the limits of the regulator!)
The vertical gear link is the one that shifts into gears while the horizontal link is the one that let you select from neutral to any other gear you want. Well I don't know how we could miss this since the link is only few cm behind the exhaust mainfold! Although this will be solved by installing some heat sheath aluminised sleeving around the links.

I don't know about the new yaris mounts but I am sure that the old yaris needs an upgraded rear mount because at that power and above 5000rpm the engine really make large moves to the rear. Make sure you consider this before swapping engines... although that is just a tip!

Next installation will mainly consider in heat managment and insulation like:

- Heat screen
- Exhaust Wrap
- Locking metal ties

All branded DEI. I am still not decided on an oil cooler yet! so if anyone has any tips please post :) BTW motor turned out of running 16psi @ 250whp still not 100% :)
Old 05-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #67
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

So you went up to 16 psi to make 250 whp? cool

I'm going with TRD front engine mounts and a C-One rollstopper in the rear.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #68
Parmas

Today went to the stainless crafter and decided to make some more modifications within the next month. These will consider into completion of the exhaust, some exhaust tips and harder mounting on the rear. Also an Aluminium INTAKE MAINFOLD will be made and installed within the next few month maybe will get to 25psi and 350hp!

BTW I am considering in upgrading the valve springs to harder ones (maybe ones of a celica will be good fitted there) and maybe also the valves to few larger ones. What do the experts think about this?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:05 PM   #69
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
jesus, cant wait to see BOTH of your motors at the end of tuning
What are you talking about? I only have ONE motor, and it's not being tuned.
JUST KIDDING ! !

Nice job, Parmas
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:10 AM   #70
changchewsoon

Drives: Vios Turbo
Send a message via MSN to changchewsoon Send a message via Yahoo to changchewsoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmas View Post
The vertical gear link is the one that shifts into gears while the horizontal link is the one that let you select from neutral to any other gear you want. Well I don't know how we could miss this since the link is only few cm behind the exhaust mainfold! Although this will be solved by installing some heat sheath aluminised sleeving around the links.

I don't know about the new yaris mounts but I am sure that the old yaris needs an upgraded rear mount because at that power and above 5000rpm the engine really make large moves to the rear. Make sure you consider this before swapping engines... although that is just a tip!

Next installation will mainly consider in heat managment and insulation like:

- Heat screen
- Exhaust Wrap
- Locking metal ties

All branded DEI. I am still not decided on an oil cooler yet! so if anyone has any tips please post :) BTW motor turned out of running 16psi @ 250whp still not 100% :)
this is really a job nicely done, its going to be a legend!

regarding your question about oil cooler, i'm currently using an engine oil cooler from ASR. (http://www.asr-development.com/prod/...port/index.htm)

it comes with an oil cooler adapter with a built-in thermostat.

by the way, how about considering ceramic coating on your exhaust manifold, turbine housing and downpipe as well for heat management?

you could also add on a thermal blanket covering the top part of the exhaust manifold to keep the engine bay temperature in check.

just my 2 cents :)

Last edited by changchewsoon; 05-07-2009 at 10:17 PM.
changchewsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:11 AM   #71
Parmas

Thanks for your info mate! I will gather and ask some about ceramic coating I hope that it isn't that expensive to do at least.

Regarding the oil cooler, it seems quite large to ask you whether you encountered any oil pressure loss? Also I would be interested in seeing better pics at larger size if you have and btw nice setup aswell!

What dimensions of oil cooler do you recommend for my setup?
Old 05-08-2009, 03:09 AM   #72
changchewsoon

Drives: Vios Turbo
Send a message via MSN to changchewsoon Send a message via Yahoo to changchewsoon
hi parmas, ceramic coating shouldn't be too expensive. i did mine for about USD 230 in your currency. i had the exhaust manifold, turbo housing and down pipe coated.

as for the oil cooler im using, its 15 rows and the length should be 225mm if i am not mistaken. have not encountered any loss in pressure so far.

i could send you the high resolution images of the snapshots i have for sharing if you could provide me with your email account.

this setup is quite sufficient for my normal day to day driving and some occasional spirited driving on the street. my engine oil temperature during my normal daily driving is kept around 78'C - 86'C and during long duration high revs it goes up to 92'C - 93'C but it cools down quite fast once you slow down.

i guess the choice of engine oil that you use has a lot to do with it as well. im currently using Motul 300v 5W40.

but if you're planning to build a track car, perhaps you might want to consider a even larger size cooler, and locate it in a place where you have maximum air flow by perhaps utilizing an air duct to direct air to its surface.
changchewsoon is offline   Reply With Quote