Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-05-2010, 07:57 PM   #37
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
oversized piston = more displacement = more power.
Thank you, Garm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
You're starting to sound like XBGod, not a bad thing IMO, but sometimes the best of the best is overated. You don't always need the cream of the crop.

If thats what you are going for get some DEFI gauges.

A Mechanical gauge is a mechanical gauge. They all operate the same way. Personally I am a fan of VDO. I have used their boost gauges many of times.
No, xbg has much more money than me. Autometer gauges, not the high end ones, are reasonably priced. So Sunpro - $30, Autometer - $60 = worth it, IMO.
"And that goes for any of you, never get put down from someone who gets jealous of you; build it and prove them wrong. There will always be haters and naysayers but those are also the ones who's cars are worth less than my seats."

xbgod - 9/23/2010
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #38
sleey0

Ok. Boodt/vac and oil pressure tachs figured out.

Any suggestions on a Tach??
"And that goes for any of you, never get put down from someone who gets jealous of you; build it and prove them wrong. There will always be haters and naysayers but those are also the ones who's cars are worth less than my seats."

xbgod - 9/23/2010
Old 10-05-2010, 08:52 PM   #39
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
focus, no one is criticizing you for your build, but I will disagree that "a gauge is a gauge".

Regarding mechanical gauges, I'm not running fuel or oil into my cabin to make a gauge work, so I will stick with my sensors and electric gauges.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #40
sleey0

So, now that garrm let me in on that mechanical guage secret, I might go ALL-OUT and go PLX.

Will update soon.

By the time I buy all electrical guages I can get a nice PLX system.

Any1 familiar with PLX and ther sensor module hookuo?

xbgod - 9/23/2010
Old 10-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #41
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:
oversized piston = more displacement = more power.

But it also means the block has to be bored and possibly sleeved. WAY more money than stock sized pistons.
Increasing the bore size from 75mm (stock) to 75.5mm will not add any power. 75.5mm pistons add 19cc's to the engines displacment. That is not significant enough to add more HP or TQ. Yes the block needs to be bored & honed but no it doesnt need to be sleeved. Stock bore pistons & +.5mm pistons cost exacltly the same.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #42
cdydjded

IMO a meth kit on our engine with stock rods & pistons is not nessesary. It will add more power & put stress on the stock rods & pistons that they cannot handle. Im @ 155hp @ 4-5 lbs of boost & have not had any problems. Sure I can raise the boost & make more power but why? So I can make more power & risk throwing a rod out the side of the block? Garm drove around for 8 months @ 180hp. Thats 90 more whp than stock. IMO thats about as high as you want to go. Any higher, KABOOM.....
Old 10-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #43
sleey0

That is why we replace the rods and pistons if you are serious about power and your project.

Good aftermarket pistons/rods can with stand much more stress.

xbgod - 9/23/2010
Old 10-05-2010, 10:57 PM   #44
cdydjded

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleey0 View Post
That is why we replace the rods and pistons if you are serious about power and your project.

Good aftermarket pistons/rods can with stand much more stress.
Ur not telling me anthing that I or anyone else here dosnt already know. Obvioulsy you can make more power with stronger rods & pistons. And obviously the can handle more power than stock components...
Old 10-05-2010, 11:08 PM   #45
sleey0

I know as I am not a big fan on meth.

I'd rather pony up for CP pistons and Crower rods:)

xbgod - 9/23/2010
Old 10-05-2010, 11:13 PM   #46
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
focus, no one is criticizing you for your build, but I will disagree that "a gauge is a gauge".
Yeah I'm not offended or anything. We're all welcome to our opinions, I'm mature enough to deal with people disagreeing with me lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
IMO a meth kit on our engine with stock rods & pistons is not nessesary. It will add more power & put stress on the stock rods & pistons that they cannot handle.
This was a pretty big fear of mine, and one of the reasons why I didn't immediately spring for meth injection. That's just pure speculation at this point though, isn't it?

I could have sworn Morgan or someone ran an SC with meth injection... Can't find info on that now. Anyone know how that went?
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #47
sleey0

Yeah, but do we KNOW what it does to out engines in terms of damage?

Might be something there.

Besides, pistons/rods is the way to go if you are worried about blowing an engine.

xbgod - 9/23/2010
Old 10-06-2010, 12:02 AM   #48
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
Has anyone poped a stock motor yet???? If so, what kind of boost/horsepower were U making???? I plan on buying a junk yard motor next year and packing it with better internals, but I'm just curious how far the stock motor can be taken. Any one Bueller, Bueller?
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:09 AM   #49
sleey0

Not too.far.

Somehow garm got 378hp.

Wicked if u ask me lol.

xbgod - 9/23/2010
Old 10-06-2010, 12:28 AM   #50
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
I could have sworn Morgan or someone ran an SC with meth injection... Can't find info on that now. Anyone know how that went?
She did, and it cured detonation problems. Meth injection can be used for more mild purposes, guys, not just big power.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:31 AM   #51
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Garm drove around for 8 months @ 180hp. Thats 90 more whp than stock. IMO thats about as high as you want to go.
Lost just a bit of compression in one cylinder over that time, too. Of course, that was only roughly tuned, so I can't point at a single exact cause.

to answer pimp's question. I don't know anyone who has blown up a 1.5L motor -- although I think Tamago threw a rod, as I recall.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:35 AM   #52
sleey0

Ok.

T c injectors or 1zz and why?

xbgod - 9/23/2010
Old 10-06-2010, 12:37 AM   #53
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Quote:
^ that's what I have in my car, works 100% and fairly simple. Echo has it in his car too, and Morgan used it on her Frankenstein supercharger install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post

Quote:
She did, and it cured detonation problems. Meth injection can be used for more mild purposes, guys, not just big power.
Easily forgotten... lol

I run meth with a S/C, and I am the only S/C'd yaris that is re-tuned with meth ( let alone re-tuned). I'm running straight meth, no 50/50 mix.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:50 AM   #54
xbgod
Banned

Drives: "Burning It Down GTX2860RS XB"
I've blown one of these motors

Was using the Blitz S/C and Nitrous. Forgot to purge the nitrous bottle pressure down before launch and BOOMMMMMM!

Bottle pressure was at 1600 from sitting in the heat needed to be at 1000, but that my own fault. snaped 3 rods and turned the piston 90 deg. in the block. I have the rods and pistons at home as a reminder of what not to do.

You my friend need to just start your build. For someone on a budget your looking at parts that go way beyond your means.

As far as PLX goes I use their AFR gauge it's deadly accurate.

As far as meth goes great way to keep you from detonating and run smoother. You can get an octane rating up to 101 with meth and 93 pump gas. Thats what I've been using. Best bang for the buck. I've switched to a race fuel for this new build but I don't drive this as a DD.

My ride with all that high end fancy shit has put me in the 60,000 price range on my build. But I;ve had the money to play with.

XBG
xbgod is offline   Reply With Quote