Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2016, 10:58 PM   #1
Biginjapan13

Drives: lowered/ exhaust
2015 SE 5 speed manual trans

Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone has found a front and rear sway bar option. I have a 15 SE and I'm in Arizona

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Biginjapan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:26 AM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
And here I thought that I had the only manual 2015+ Yaris in Arizona. Where did you buy yours? I had to go to Colorado Springs, Co to find mine.

The thread link below applies to the 2015-2016 3rd Gen refresh, as well as the 2012-2014 3rd Gen. It lets you know what you minor changes you need to make to use to 2007-2011 sway bar with the 2012+ SE. I am installing a TRD rear sway bar on my 2015 this weekend or next (already received it in the mail, along with the modified bolts).

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52593

Re-pasted Summary: (thanks again NYC-SE )

Just a quick how-to recap for TRD rear sway bar installation on a 3rd Gen Yaris SE.

Things to know:

1. TRD sway bar part # is PTR11-52071. This is the same part that fits the 2nd Gen Yaris and the Scion xD.

2. 3rd Gen SE models have a “rear axle beam dynamic damper” installed in the upper hole where the sway bar will mount.

You CAN discard these, thereby freeing up that hole and install the sway bar with the supplied hardware BUT I recommend that you DO NOT. Toyota went to the trouble of designing and installing these dampers, they serve a purpose. I decided to keep mine.

3. If you decide to keep them you will have to buy 2 new mounting bolts. The bolts supplied with the sway bar will not fit the dampers, the thread is different. DO NOT reuse the bolts holding the dampers in place. They are too short and they are lower grade.

VERY IMPORTANT: make sure you buy Grade 10.9 bolts. (This is the same grade as the supplied bolts.) You will NOT find them at your local Home Depot. I had to order them online from Fastenal. Part number is 11116380. These are M10-1.25X30mm, Class 10.9, Yellow Zinc coated flange bolts.

DO NOT use lower grade bolts. There will be a greater risk of failure if you do. Don’t put yourself in danger.

4. You can use the washers supplied with the sway bar. They go on the bolt head. The “nut” is cast into the damper.

5. Remove the dampers first. Then install the sway bar according to the supplied directions, except of course, use the 2 new bolts and the rear beam dynamic damper for the upper mounting holes. Torque to specs. (44 ft-lbs for upper {new} bolts, 36 ft-lbs for lower shock mount bolts).

6. You can do ALMOST all of this with the car on the ground BUT you will have to jack up the vehicle and remove the tires for the final torquing of the upper bolts. There is not enough clearance to get a torque wrench on those bolts with the wheels on.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:28 AM   #3
Biginjapan13

Drives: lowered/ exhaust
2015 SE 5 speed manual trans

I live in Tucson and found mine at a local dealer (precision Toyota of Tucson) found it and bought it the same day. Thank you for the information about the sway bars, I wasn't sure if the 2nd gen would fit so I never ordered them

Biginjapan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:44 AM   #4
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginjapan13 View Post
Hello everyone I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone has found a front and rear sway bar option. I have a 15 SE and I'm in Arizona

Your car already has a front sway (stabilizer) bar. Don't know of any aftermarket versions but the OEM is fine as is.

As for rear...what Kalispel said.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote