Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #109
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Naya,

When you say you're doing mostly city driving now, is it very very short? You take a mileage hit when you do very short stops while the engine is not warmed up.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #110
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Naya,

This is not an easy question to answer sometimes, but have you changed your driving style over the lest few months? Been stressed out? Been working long hours? Been more angry? Any driving that is more aggressive than your previous style will cause MPG hits, and to achieve MPG as low as you are reporting points to heavy throttle usage.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #111
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naya View Post
in the first year I had the car I was doing city driving (the same as I am doing now) and was getting 600-700km per tank (run almost completely dry).

I am now getting about 350km to a tank

I just found a quick calculator online and I'm currently getting about 26mpg.
I'm no hypermiling expert, but I'm pretty sure driving habits alone will never account for a 50% reduction/ 100% increase in FE. That is, unless you went from using EVERY hypermiler trick in the book, to ricky racer/constant wide open throttle over night, without knowing.

Something is wrong with your car.. Have you changed the air filter? What's your tire pressure?
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:16 AM   #112
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I agree, while driving technique is hugely important, something has to have happened to that car to make the mileage drop by half with the same driver.

Have you had the OBD-II system checked for error codes?
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:37 AM   #113
Naya

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Thanks for all the replies guys.

"When you say you're doing mostly city driving now, is it very very short?" - Yup. Usually about 3km there, another 3km back at the end of the day

"Have you changed your driving style over the lest few months?" - Not that I can think of. I actually make a game of it to see how high I can get the milage, so I'm very concious of how hard I accelerate and try to avoid braking as much as possible.

"Have you changed the air filter? What's your tire pressure?" - Haven't checked the air filter, but I did check the tire pressure and it seems to be fine. I'll check the air filter tonight.

"Have you had the OBD-II system checked for error codes?" - Not even sure what that is :)

When I brought it to the dealership they said they hooked up a computer to look at my fuel economy then took it out to an 80km/h road. I'm not sure of all the circumstances under which they drove it but they said that it was getting 27mpg and that was just fine.
Naya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #114
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naya View Post
"When you say you're doing mostly city driving now, is it very very short?" - Yup. Usually about 3km there, another 3km back at the end of the day
Short trips like that will totally kill your FE as the engine never warms up and runs rich the entire time. This doesn't explain why your FE dropped, though. Was your commute (or any other usual driving) a longer distance before?

On a different note, with a commute that short have you considered bicycling it rather than driving it?

Share the Road

Old 03-27-2009, 01:20 PM   #115
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
Short trips like that will totally kill your FE as the engine never warms up and runs rich the entire time
This is a huge point which not enough people realize. This winter we cut out almost all our short trips individually and tried to bunch them together into 25km or more circuits (I've read that's about how long you need to run your car before it's warmed up around here). We started walking whenever humanly possible and taking virtually no short trips.

For example, the previous winter I drove nearly 5 times a week to pick up my wife from work only 1 km a way. I even convinced her to start walking it, by meeting her at her office and walking back with her.

This change in behaviour led to plenty of 50mpg tanks in winter and played a large role in increasing our FE by about 10%.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #116
Naya

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Now that it's finally warming up I'm looking at switching to a bicycle :) Canadian winters are a little frigid which is why I was taking the car in the first place. Now that the temp is finally above 0 I'll be switching to bike, and my other half will be taking the car back.

The reason I'm trying to see what to do about the milage is I was a bit worried because his trip is about 35km each way all highway. (To answer the question before anyone asks it, we had 2 cars, one of them got totaled, and a friend from work was able to drive him each day so I got the car.) With the milage as bad as it has been lately that would kill us on gas. I'll see how it does on highway starting next week.
Naya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:47 PM   #117
voodoo22

I just filled in for my 6th straight 50+ US MPG tank this year and was pleasantly surprised to have a new PB tank which is going to be really hard for me to beat...

859 km's using 36.714 litres for 4.274 l/100km or 55.019 US MPG!!

When compared to what's on the market, it's amazing what this little car can do under the right conditions.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #118
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Holy cow! Great job, voodoo22! That's a new world record for the gasoline Yaris!

Share the Road

Old 05-14-2009, 06:41 PM   #119
mchllp925
Darrin

Drives: 2008 yaris le h/b
Well, since I hit 15,000 kms, my FE has vastly improved.
Since April 2008, I was gettin maybe 260 kms for 30 litres(or so) of fuel.
Now, I might actually get close to, or over, 250 kms for a 1/2 tank.
I haven't changed my driving habits much.
Is there some truth to what my dealership says, that around this mileage the FE will improve?

Just my 2 cents worth.
P.S. Congrats on your MPG voodoo22
Darrin
mchllp925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:26 AM   #120
voodoo22

Thanks guys. I drove more small trips than usual as well. I feel there is would be possible to get maybe 2 or 3 more MPG out of this car if all those were avoided and the weather was warmer.

Brian, I'd bet you could break 60 MPG on my commute. I doubt I'll have a MT car as long as I live here, but if I do I'll have to re hone my skills and get more advice from you on how to work it.

Hey Darrin, I was born and raised in Winnipeg for over 30 years. If your driving experience there is anything like mine was, you're doing well. My friends and I always joke that they use unnecessary stop signs and poorly timed lights to make the city seem bigger. My 14 km commute used to take 25-35 minutes under good conditions there, now I can drive my 52 km commute in about 40 minutes when I travel at off times. I could never get mileage near like I am getting now with an auto living in Winnipeg.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:53 AM   #121
voodoo22

So I got a rental Yaris sedan AT yesterday with 43k kms on the dial and conducted an inaccurate experiment to see how many km's I would get per fuel bar while driving flow of traffic with it for my commute and then to go to another office location I go to from time to time.

99% hwy, warm weather, dry, no wind, speed ranging from 100-140 km/h as flow of traffic actually has no flow in the fast lane. I didn't once pass someone on the right, I stayed in the fast lane and followed the person in front of me at a safe distance.

Driving flow of traffic----Driving how I drive @80-90km/h
1st bar----->118 km--->150 km+
2nd bar---->204 km---->260 km+
3rd bar---->295 km---->360 km+

I also am still driving without using brakes or a/c when driving with the so called flow and traffic moved perfectly with no accidents, traffic jams on my route yesterday. It was a best case scenario for driving fast and it took 10 minutes less to get to work.

It was also way more stressful as you are never driving fast enough or have too little space between you and a car in front of you for some one to squeeze in.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #122
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
i hope i do better this year..the most i did was 695km on a 36 liter..90% hwy
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:35 AM   #123
voodoo22

NEW pb's for distance and FE on a tank

New PB for MPG and distance on a tank cracking the 600 mile barrier.

Next tank won't be nearly as good as I will have to do downtown Toronto driving and more short trips. I've been trying to compress my short trips etc even more and thereby avoiding most short trips this past tank. I had amazing luck this past tank. I swear I got about 95% of the lights green.

One day on this tank I was almost to work when the hwy came to a standstill because of an accident which brought the 3 lanes down to 1. I got off 1 exit early and only got 1 red light all the way through the city and was even able to coast for over 3 kms downhill through 4 green lights with zero traffic around me. Today making the dreaded trip to the gas station I timed 6 lights and had no oncoming traffic for my 2 left turns. Yesterday I needed to get groceries so I hitched a ride with a co worker half way to the store; took my back pack and walked the rest of the way and back. About 8 km's. I could feel a good tank coming on and these are the sorts of things which have to happen to get these kind of numbers on our AT Yaris:

970.3 kms 602.9 miles

40.315 litres used

4.155 l/100 kms or 56.611 US MPG!!

If we had 2 cars I could post these kinds of numbers every tank, but only having one, it takes a lot of effort and planning to get there and I feel pumped about this result.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:17 AM   #124
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

voodoo22! That is awesome, and it is a new world record for single tank MPG with the 1.5L Yaris! A combination of self discipline, technique, planning and a fair amount of luck combined to create a magical tank. I love it when a plan comes together!

You've set the bar way up there, my friend.

My own FE experience has been much different lately. I haven't been driving much, maybe once or twice per week. I bicycle to/from a carpool, I've been using public transportation to get to/from my company's data center colocation in Sacramento, I've been bicycling the grocery run and almost all my errands, telecommuting one day per week, etc. When I do drive it's usually to haul mountain bikes over the mountain for a commute on our organized ride day (which will change if Nashbar ever gets around to sending me my bicycle lights as I'll be able to trailer my MTB to the carpool with the road bicycle and return home late at night with it) or to take my Little Brother out for an activity.

My Little and I are scheduled to go for a MTB ride on a beginner trail this Saturday and I plan to get to and from his house on the north side of town, get us both to and from the trail area, to lunch and then back to his house only using public transportation and pedal power.

I'll be making another Sacramento run later this week. I already have my Greyhound tickets and exact change for city bus/rail fares ready.

However, my Yaris is still being driven a bit as I've been able to get my wife to use it for her needs in lieu of her Tacoma some days. While this saves a ton of gasoline she doesn't hypermile at all so my last tank was a paradox. It lasted a whopping 22 days but came out at just 45 MPG. This is the kind of scenario where simple mileage tracking doesn't accurately reflect the actual fuel usage and savings.

Share the Road

Old 06-17-2009, 07:05 AM   #125
voodoo22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
It lasted a whopping 22 days but came out at just 45 MPG. This is the kind of scenario where simple mileage tracking doesn't accurately reflect the actual fuel usage and savings.
We've really reduced our driving to the bare minimum, but unfortunately biking and public transit aren't an option for me. Luckily my wife can walk to work, because of where we live, so that offsets some of my commute.

I've been reading about your biking on cleanmpg. It's awesome that you are putting the effort into using the car only when needed. I hope you're able to keep that up, at least until winter

I can't believe we're sitting here complaining about only 45 mpg in the Yaris. 99% of people would kill for that number, but we're too disciplined now to be happy with that number. You should keep track of the miles you bike and walk which you would have driven before and add them to your tank as free miles on a chart. It's more difficult to figure out how you would add public transit miles, but either way, you're doing a lot better than me now for our environment. When we move next I really hope I will be able to get to work in one the ways you do now.

Thanks for the kind words and keep up the good example of what you can do if you can put your mind to it!
Old 06-17-2009, 07:28 AM   #126
Woody_Woodchuck

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5M
56 mpg is fantastic, congratulations! Seems to me you will be the first to break the 650 mile tank or 60 mpg tank barrier also!!!

I’m still fighting to match your 50+ mpg tank streak. Don’t worry, my evil plan is to not match it but SMASH it altogether. A tank over 55 mpg for me is going to take some drastic hypermiling techniques and lots of lucky commutes. Not impossible but very unlikely with my terrain and commute traffic. Heck, last night on the way home traffic was so heavy I had to drive the speed limit and could not get any coasting in for the first 20 miles. Managed to just break 50 mpg for the 30 miles, average is around 54 mpg.

Keep up the great work and keep raising the bar higher.

On a side note: Getting the average numbers for speed versus impg is going to take a while. There are only a couple flat sections on my commute and with the recent traffic I will not be able to get any standard down. I’ll get them, just going to take a while is all.