Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-12-2017, 01:35 AM   #1
PaperbagPanda

Drives: Yaris
2015 Yaris L modifications

Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a 2015 Yaris for less than $10k. Hertz offer it for around $9k but it's a base model. Is it possible for me to add in upgrades like keyless entry and power mirrors?
PaperbagPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #2
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Yes, you can add OEM power mirrors. One of our yarisworld members did it recently on the L model. I presume you can add keyless entry as well.

Hertz offers some great deals on a used cars, and they currently have a huge selection of 2015 Yaris. Get the car checked out at Toyota before you buy. And, don't forget to show the salesman your AAA card for a guaranteed $300 discount off the no haggle advertised price.

My 2014 was a previous rental car. It was in pristine condition, and checked out perfectly at the local Toyota dealer before purchase. Soon after I bought the car, I had the oil changed at another Toyota dealer, and the car was inspected once again... and no issues were found. I'm 100% satisfied with my choice to purchase a previous rental Toyota, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:13 AM   #3
CincyC6

Drives: 2008 / 2011 / 2012 Yaris
Man that scares me lol. People are so rough on rentals
CincyC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:16 PM   #4
Yaris709

Drives: 07 yaris
I wouldn't buy a rental car. Few years ago I had a 300c hemi for a day. Car had less than 1000km I was doing donuts and burnouts left right and center. Also gave a chev cruze a good going over with less than 15k on the clock. Young and dumb lol
Yaris709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:38 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
300,000km now on my ex-rental. Best car I've ever owned. Just saying...

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 04-05-2017, 08:02 PM   #6
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Buy one. 2ZR swap with a low mileage engine. Done.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:19 PM   #7
jstert

Drives: 2014 yaris l, magnetic gray
i got a 2014 L with 42k miles at hertz last year for $9k. it runs great but i learned soon after that its front bumper was replaced at some point. hertz said that its certified used policy excludes bumpers and showed me the fine print. my bad. i second the recommendation to get it checked at a dealer during the test drive.
jstert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:24 PM   #8
gedster314

Drives: Asolute Red 15 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyC6 View Post
Man that scares me lol. People are so rough on rentals
I don't think so. Who rents a Yaris? A cheap b@st@rd. Cheap b@st@ards are into seeing how many miles they get per tank. No one with a lead foot is renting a Yaris, they at least want a v6 and will opt for the Mustang rental.
I think most people tend to drive the rental like they would drive their own car. Most rental cars are maintained better. Most people never pop open the hood between oil changes. When cars come back in, checking fluids and inspecting for damage is normal for big rental companies.

I think buying a rental is better option than rolling the dice on Craigslist or that slimey car dealer down the block that gets auction cars that the big dealers didn't even want.
gedster314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:27 PM   #9
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedster314 View Post
I don't think so. Who rents a Yaris? A cheap b@st@rd. Cheap b@st@ards are into seeing how many miles they get per tank. No one with a lead foot is renting a Yaris, they at least want a v6 and will opt for the Mustang rental.
I think most people tend to drive the rental like they would drive their own car. Most rental cars are maintained better. Most people never pop open the hood between oil changes. When cars come back in, checking fluids and inspecting for damage is normal for big rental companies.

I think buying a rental is better option than rolling the dice on Craigslist or that slimey car dealer down the block that gets auction cars that the big dealers didn't even want.
You make some good points. As much as the rental stigma stigma with me, I know several people that have had great luck with buying ex-rental cars.

Having said that, I know that when I was in my early 20s, I had a few rentals while owning my Civic (car was in 7 collisions, so I had a rental for each occurrence). I can tell you that I did not drive those rentals softly. I wasn't trying to break anything, but I had fun with them. Still, doesn't mean they would have made a bad used car after I was done with them, but if everyone droves them spiritedly (especially since it's during break it), it can add up.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:09 AM   #10
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Buy one. 2ZR swap with a low mileage engine. Done.
is 2ZR inspection legal? new emissions rules say engine as new as car "or made for a the brand ie toyota, and has to be that year or newer, I guess, shops dont give a flying heckie cause as long as it passes OBD2 and the monitors light up and theres no vin mismatch like your golden"
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote