Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-05-2017, 05:51 PM   #1
Lair

Drives: 2016 5 dr Yaris LE
3rd Gen Accessories: Armrest, Dead Pedal, Rear Spoiler?

I've looked around on the web, but haven't found any definitive answers to my search for a dead pedal or a center console/armrest. Not sure what to do about an SE-type rear spoiler, either. Most of the ones I've seen have been $250+ or look like cheap unpainted crap.

Any help here?
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #2
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lair View Post
I've looked around on the web, but haven't found any definitive answers to my search for a dead pedal or a center console/armrest. Not sure what to do about an SE-type rear spoiler, either. Most of the ones I've seen have been $250+ or look like cheap unpainted crap.

Any help here?

I'm right there with you. I haven't found anything for a console armrest, dead pedal, or SE spoiler for cheap. I would like to know as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:58 PM   #3
Lair

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.flores.0928 View Post
I'm right there with you. I haven't found anything for a console armrest, dead pedal, or SE spoiler for cheap. I would like to know as well

I keep propping my right arm up with my hand on the right bottom seat bolster. Today I noticed that the spot is a little lighter than the rest of the seat bottom. Need a place to prop that I can replace after it wears out.

I'm also going to grind a hole in the carpet if I can't find a dead pedal. My first Yaris already had a hole there when I bought it at 75k miles, and my new carpet already looks filthy and matted where the dead pedal should be.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:01 PM   #4
m.flores.0928

Quote:
I keep propping my right arm up with my hand on the right bottom seat bolster. Today I noticed that the spot is a little lighter than the rest of the seat bottom. Need a place to prop that I can replace after it wears out.

I'm also going to grind a hole in the carpet if I can't find a dead pedal. My first Yaris already had a hole there when I bought it at 75k miles, and my new carpet already looks filthy and matted where the dead pedal should be.

Whatever works, let us know how that works out for you. I would like a dead pedal but I feel like that area isn't big enough. There is sorta kinda a dead pedal thing already there but it's tiny and awkward for me.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:09 PM   #5
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on the Weathertech floor mats for my car because it looks like it has a faux dead pedal section that creeps up just high enough to cover the spot I've worn into my carpet.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:57 PM   #6
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
The lack of a footrest/dead-pedal thing bothered me when I first purchased my Yaris, since I was used to driving/sitting in a certain position in my old car (a 2000 Accord). Once I adjusted my sitting/seat position to what is most comfortable in my Yaris, in relation to the positioning of the manual gearbox, my most natural/comfortable position has my left foot resting flat on the floor/carpet in front of my seat when not using the clutch, instead of stretched all out into the footrest area like it was on my Accord.

I also adapted rather quickly to having no armrest in my Yaris, and actually feel that an armrest would be awkwardly in the way on a manual Yaris, due to the positioning of the manual gearbox in relation to the seats, and how I sit comfortably. I found it was both natural-feeling and comfortable to rest my arm on the passenger seat near the gearbox when not shifting. Luckily I'm alone in my car 99.99% of the time, so the passenger front seat is a free-zone. To prevent oils from my skin from discoloring/marking the nice black SE seats, I bought a fluffy/comfy black towel, which I have folded and placed onto the side section of my seat where my arm would rest. It blends into the interior colors of the car seamlessly and is easy enough to remove and wash with my laundry every few months to keep it looking new/clean.

In the crappy, bright-Arizona-sunlight pics below, you can see where the oils from my skin mark the towel where I rest my hand/arm. Time to wash it again soon.

Last edited by Kalispel; 04-05-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:21 PM   #7
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
The lack of a footrest/dead-pedal thing bothered me when I first purchased my Yaris, since I was used to driving/sitting in a certain position in my old car (a 2000 Accord). Once I adjusted my sitting/seat position to what is most comfortable in my Yaris, in relation to the positioning of the manual gearbox, my most natural/comfortable position has my left foot resting flat on the floor/carpet in front of my seat when not using the clutch, instead of stretched all out into the footrest area like it was on my Accord.

I also adapted rather quickly to having no armrest in my Yaris, and actually feel that an armrest would be awkwardly in the way on a manual Yaris, due to the positioning of the manual gearbox in relation to the seats, and how I sit comfortably. I found it was both natural-feeling and comfortable to rest my arm on the passenger seat near the gearbox when not shifting. Luckily I'm alone in my car 99.99% of the time, so the passenger front seat is a free-zone. To prevent oils from my skin from discoloring/marking the nice black SE seats, I bought a fluffy/comfy black towel, which I have folded and placed onto the side section of my seat where my arm would rest. It blends into the interior colors of the car seamlessly and is easy enough to remove and wash with my laundry every few months to keep it looking new/clean.

In the crappy pic below, you can see where the oils from my skin mark the towel where I rest my hand/arm. Time to wash it again soon.

I can't see the picture

Old 04-05-2017, 08:21 PM   #8
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on the Weathertech floor mats for my car because it looks like it has a faux dead pedal section that creeps up just high enough to cover the spot I've worn into my carpet.

I have Toyota Genuine OEM heavy duty rubber floor mats in my car but they don't cover the dead pedal anywhere

Old 04-05-2017, 08:38 PM   #9
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.flores.0928 View Post
I can't see the picture

Sorry - fixed the pic(s) above so that they should display now.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:09 PM   #10
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I also adapted rather quickly to having no armrest in my Yaris
+1

and shes been my daily driver for more than a month now and i dont need an armrest at all
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:03 AM   #11
hotracer_05
Hmm, I see...

Drives: 2012 Toyota Tundra and Yaris
I bought some 3D mats and really like them. I have the factory rubber ones in my tundra and to be honest im seriously considering tossing them and getting 3Ds for it too lol

As for the armrest, you can see if you can find out the part number for the backrest frame of the seat, and see if there are any toyotas out there with armrests using the same frame. If there is, buy the corresponding armrest and install it.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:34 AM   #12
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Yeah I thought I would miss the armrest too. It was one of the things that concerned me before I bought the car. But after a week or two of ownership I couldn't care less. Found a comfortable seating position and never missed it.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:46 AM   #13
Lair

I'll copy your towel move if I can't find an armrest.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:24 AM   #14
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
Quote:
I'll copy your towel move if I can't find an armrest.
Throwing in the towel already?

The strategy I use for long trips is to stuff a small couch pillow between the seats, and either lay my arm on top, or wedge it in between the pillow and the seats. It's pretty comfortable.

I don't know how any 3rd gen armrest would compare to the 2nd gen, but I was really dissapointed in the stock 2nd gen armrest. It's super flimsy, it fades quickly, and it squeaks, creaks, and rattles. I'd have a really hard time driving a manual car with one of those, too.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:17 AM   #15
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I had the OEM armrest in my 2007 and except for the fading I really liked it. I've been looking for an armrest for my 2014, but have basically given up finding one.

BTW, hotracer 05. those 3D mats look great!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:19 AM   #16
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
My car didn't have an armrest and it's not a big deal to go without, but I do enjoy the Micro Image armrest I bought sometime later.

Kalispel - if I may ask, how tall are you? I'm 5' 10" and need to have my seat all the way back. It's fine, but I wouldn't mind if it went even farther back. I couldn't imagine sitting closer than the farthest position. In the extremely rare cases of hauling stuff and needing to move my seat forward a bit, I'm hating it the whole time.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #17
stykerdk
Yaris Hybrid Limited 2015

Drives: yaris Hybrid limited 2015
I think the only good armrest that is made for 3rd gen is armster, but i dont know if you can get it in the states.
http://dk.rati-shop.com/armster-2?ca...oduct_type=139
Old 04-06-2017, 12:48 PM   #18
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by stykerdk View Post
I think the only good armrest that is made for 3rd gen is armster, but i dont know if you can get it in the states.
http://dk.rati-shop.com/armster-2?ca...oduct_type=139
Oh that looks nice! Maybe I do want an armrest after all.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote