Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-26-2017, 09:45 PM   #19
BIGTAZ351
147K-Blue / 24K-Yellow

Drives: 2010 Ylw 3dr. AT(Blue-Wife's)
Really?

That damage wouldn't even stop me, the hatch where it's pushed in, is super hollow, my button sticks in the winter and it bounces in/out about 2 inches... As for the rear bumper and all that, I would get a Junkyard part and roll, who ever said the Unibody is bent...MUST be JOKING???

Repair List:
1 new blower motor, making funny noise. @ 91K (Water pump @ 120K)
Mod List:
1. Black tape on most of the annoying blue high beam light behind the lens. (thank you CTScott)
BIGTAZ351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:31 PM   #20
RutherfordmanX

Drives: 2017 Yaris Hatchback
Nothing underneath looks bent at all. Most of the impact was on the hatch. I did not attempt to open it as I figured I would never get it closed. I did look in from the back seat and did not see anything that was buckled in the floor area. The work truck had a seamless gutter machine in the back so it sat low in the ass and high in the front. That is why he got the hatch and not so much the bumper. I was sitting at a light and the guy said his foot slipped off the brake but he must have traveled a bit because it pushed me about 15 feet.
RutherfordmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:13 PM   #21
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by RutherfordmanX View Post
So with 377,000 miles on my girl she took a hit from behind by a big work truck. Took out the bumper, tailight and hatchback. My guess is the insurance company is going to total it with the miles it has on it. So I need another I can put 400,000 miles on. How are the 2017's as I may buy one with the closeout approaching. They seem to be listed as Yaris IA. I have an auto tranny now but am good with manual. Is the car as far as engine, etc. basically the same. I am more of a how it will last than how well it looks type guy. Let me know your thoughts as I am a die hard Yaris fan after my first. Yaris's never die they just get ate up one day
I used to have a 2010 Yaris, the actual Toyota Yaris.....now I have the Yaris IA which is really a rebranded Mazda2/Scion IA. I love it...even more than my "genuine" 2010 Yaris. I'm getting much better gas mileage...I have the 6 speed A/T and I get 40.5 MPG with that being 95% city driving, and I have only 1400 miles on it. It's so much more than my old Yaris. Yeah, I know that's not popular here.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:11 PM   #22
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
I used to have a 2010 Yaris, the actual Toyota Yaris.....now I have the Yaris IA which is really a rebranded Mazda2/Scion IA. I love it...even more than my "genuine" 2010 Yaris. I'm getting much better gas mileage...I have the 6 speed A/T and I get 40.5 MPG with that being 95% city driving, and I have only 1400 miles on it. It's so much more than my old Yaris. Yeah, I know that's not popular here.
Hey, your experience is as valid as any other. I think most question/wonder about long term reliability. On a 3 year lease, it almost doesn't matter what you buy these days (almost lol), but if you're looking to buy and drive until the wheels fall off, I'm putting my money on my '07 over the new Mazda re-badge versions. I, and others, very well may be wrong about that. Time will tell.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:12 PM   #23
ABSPLASTIC

Drives: Twin-charged rotary V8 w/nos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Hey, your experience is as valid as any other. I think most question/wonder about long term reliability. On a 3 year lease, it almost doesn't matter what you buy these days (almost lol), but if you're looking to buy and drive until the wheels fall off, I'm putting my money on my '07 over the new Mazda re-badge versions. I, and others, very well may be wrong about that. Time will tell.
+1.
10th year owning my '08 and runs like it did off the lot. It has surpassed almost 15+ cars I've owned during the same time of ownership and has been in 5 accidents, all not at fault for me. I was actually swiped by a U Haul truck yesterday and waiting for estimator to assess damage. Almost 90k on the odometer
ABSPLASTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:27 PM   #24
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
I hope that you aren't one of the unlucky ones. An unsettling number of iA's have had to have their transmissions replaced within the first 0-2 years of ownership (among other major mechanical defects), after sudden, unexpected failure occured. Doesn't speak well to the consistant design/build quality of that particular hardware - and certainly doesn't help the 'Made in Mexico' stereotype any.

Beyond that, Mazda does make some nice feeling/driving cars, and their inside cabins tend to be top notch for their price class - though Toyota somehow managed to ruin the looks of the Mazda2 with the iA front fascia, that's for sure. Of course, many people said that about the 2015+ Yaris front fascia also - so that's all subjective opinion in the end. As long as you like the looks of your car, that is what really counts.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:56 AM   #25
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
Too bad you're so far away, I'd have a go ghettoing it back together before it gets scrapped
I agree I do the same! If it was me there's plenty of good used Yari out there. No need to take a financial bath and buy a new one giving the depreciation.

Best of luck to you I think as long as you get another Yaris you'll be fine!
Old 09-01-2017, 12:46 AM   #26
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Quote:
As long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters, Debby. I did sit in one the other day at the dealership while waiting for my oil change, and it was nice. I'm so used to the glorified go-cart feel of my Yaris, and I love it. I'm quite sure I could learn to love an iA, as well. As long as it's reliable, that is. I'm totally spoiled on my Yaris reliability. Wish you all the best with your new car, Debby. Sounds like you're off to a great start.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:49 PM   #27
RutherfordmanX

The estimator looked at then told them to do a tear down probably to get the hatch open and see what the metal looks like around it. He was back looking at it yesterday so should hear back soon. He did ask me if he did total it whether I was intersested in buying it back. I think either way I will lean towards a new 2018 L. Used is good but I will need to get maximum mileage out it. I see me running my next one the same as my 08 but now that I don't live up the gravel road from hell it will see less abuse. Thats what really amazed me about my 08. It spent quite a few years running that road that was one of the worst in the county and stiil went the distance.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:54 PM   #28
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
The estimator looked at then told them to do a tear down probably to get the hatch open and see what the metal looks like around it. He was back looking at it yesterday so should hear back soon. He did ask me if he did total it whether I was intersested in buying it back. I think either way I will lean towards a new 2018 L. Used is good but I will need to get maximum mileage out it. I see me running my next one the same as my 08 but now that I don't live up the gravel road from hell it will see less abuse. Thats what really amazed me about my 08. It spent quite a few years running that road that was one of the worst in the county and stiil went the distance.
get a 2018 SE its the best buy~ :9

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 05:07 PM   #29
bentjazz

Drives: 2009 Yaris--3dr MT
Keep us informed on what you decide, Rutherford.
bentjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:21 PM   #30
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
get a 2018 SE its the best buy~ :9

Considering the backwards cosmetic changes and continued lack of no-brainer standard features versus other global markets on the 2018 Yaris (SE), there is zero chance that I would choose a 2018 Yaris SE over the iM at this point. The iM/Auris is just a better designed, equipped & styled car versus the 2018 Yaris SE, and it is even 100% built in Japan as a nice bonus. Plus, you can pick up an iM at certain times for LESS $$$ than a Yaris SE, with factory/dealer rebates and incentives factored in. It's just sad. Toyota might as well just discontinue the Yaris SE, and make the L/LE a fleet/rental vehicle only - like they did with the 2012 Yaris Sedan. Not like they stock them at the dealerships anyway.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:24 PM   #31
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
Considering the backwards cosmetic changes and continued lack of no-brainer standard features versus other global markets on the 2018 Yaris (SE), there is zero chance that I would choose a 2018 Yaris SE over the iM at this point. The iM/Auris is just a better designed, equipped & styled car versus the 2018 Yaris SE, and it is even 100% built in Japan as a nice bonus. Plus, you can pick up an iM at certain times for LESS $$$ than a Yaris SE, with factory/dealer rebates and incentives factored in. It's just sad. Toyota might as well just discontinue the Yaris SE, and make the L/LE a fleet/rental vehicle only - like they did with the 2012 Yaris Sedan. Not like they stock them at the dealerships anyway.
theres no performance point to a wagon.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:17 PM   #32
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
theres no performance point to a wagon.

What?
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:58 PM   #33
Dodge Aries K
My Yaris is a "racecar"

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatchback
Quote:
There's still even some brand new 2016's out there, the L two doors with a stick so it might be worth making a few phone calls and seeing if one of the dealers would let it go at a loss like when I bought mine.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:07 PM   #34
RutherfordmanX

Well they are going to total the old girl out after finding more damage. They are offering me $2200.00 and some change but I am going to work them for a little more. Now the good news. I put down a deposit on a new 2017 Yaris L hatchback (silver) today. I have been looking around and there are only 5 Yaris L's in the southeast now. I got an automatic so the family can drive it. I have been driving a Nissan Altima rental and it feels like a tank so it will be good to get back in a Yar. Lets see how many miles this one will do!
Old 09-06-2017, 06:18 PM   #35
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Well they are going to total the old girl out after finding more damage. They are offering me $2200.00 and some change but I am going to work them for a little more. Now the good news. I put down a deposit on a new 2017 Yaris L hatchback (silver) today. I have been looking around and there are only 5 Yaris L's in the southeast now. I got an automatic so the family can drive it. I have been driving a Nissan Altima rental and it feels like a tank so it will be good to get back in a Yar. Lets see how many miles this one will do!
buy an LE you get little better things and less retrofitting

Old 09-06-2017, 06:27 PM   #36
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Nice! I like the Yaris L, except for no power mirrors... which could be added.
Silver is good. Is it a 2 or 4 door?

Good luck with the insurance company.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote