Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-25-2017, 01:34 AM   #1
RicStyx

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris 1.3 -3rd Gen
Air filter.

Just managed to get a hold of the K&N air filter for my 1.3. This filter was elusive for a while until I stumbled across one at a local store here in South Africa. Ironically it was the last one they had as they said it was not a major seller as most yaris owners here get the paper filters.

It has made a noticeable difference in acceleration and smoothness, plus I've dropped half a litre in fuel consumption. Tight squeeze to get it in but it really is worth it. Would recommend giving it a try.

Model 33-2211

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
RicStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:46 AM   #2
mrpj

Drives: 2014 Icon+ 1.33l Multidrive
The perceived improvements are probably a pacebo effect.
If these aftermarket, "go faster" addons were of any use don't you think Toyota or any other manufacturer would fit them at the assembly plant?
mrpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:51 AM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpj View Post
The perceived improvements are probably a pacebo effect.
If these aftermarket, "go faster" addons were of any use don't you think Toyota or any other manufacturer would fit them at the assembly plant?
Actually not. They were built by design, and with tons regulations by the governments.

Now, any increase in air flow (intake, header, exhaust) will bring the power band upon, so you will feel the car being more "alive" when you rev it.

Though, I doubt it decreases fuel consumption to a noticeable level.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2017, 11:54 AM   #4
gedster314

Drives: Asolute Red 15 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
Actually not. They were built by design, and with tons regulations by the governments.

Now, any increase in air flow (intake, header, exhaust) will bring the power band upon, so you will feel the car being more "alive" when you rev it.

Though, I doubt it decreases fuel consumption to a noticeable level.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Been through the air cleaner and oil wars in the TDI Club in the early 2ks. Many participents were engineers with access to cool test equipment and electron microscopes. There was no appreciable performance gain, especially when compared to the increased amount of dirt these oiled gauze filters allowed in. The dirt may not be such a big issue with a normally aspirated engine but it is a problem with a turbo blade turning at 100k rpms. At 100,000 miles blades are rather beat up.

Many of these engineers commented that even new filters were bad for your car and that to a point, dirty filters were more effient at keeping dirt out. They ran air restriction meters to determine filter changes and not mileage or visual instpection. Some TDI owners were truely anal about vehicle maintenance.

Drive 30K with your KN filter, pull your intake hose and look at the inside and then look down your intake manifold throat. If your happy with what you see then keep using the gauze filter.
gedster314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 12:43 PM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicStyx View Post
Ironically it was the last one they had as they said it was not a major seller as most yaris owners here get the paper.alk
That's because the Toyota filter is 99% efficient at removing dirt whereas the oiled Element filters are 95% efficient.

Also the oil on the filter has a way of getting on the wires of the MAF sensor and causing problems.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:50 PM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
All I can say is what I've said about my K&N in the past. I got it not really expecting performance gains, but just thinking it would be a money saver. I also didn't feel any performance improvement after installing it; however, after disconnecting my battery for a different reason, I noticed the car feeling less bogged down after the fact and couldn't figure out why. Someone speculated that disconnecting the battery reset the ECU and caused it to relearn to take advantage of the additional air-flow from the K&N, which resulted in me noticing an improvement. I don't know how much of that explanation is plausible and how much of it is pure placebo. All I do know is that if I go swap my K&N for the paper filter I had in prior, start the car up and step on it as I'm heading up my street, it feels less bogged down with the K&N than the paper.

These days I'm thinking about throwing the paper back in because it's about time to clean the K&N and I just don't feel like dealing with it. The savings from not having to buy new filters all the time is somewhat offset by the nuisance of having to clean, dry, oil and dry the damn thing.

Call me crazy.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:15 PM   #7
RicStyx

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris 1.3 -3rd Gen
I guess at the end of the day it is in my car and I've had them in my previous cars aswell. And I believe and see the benefits of the filters. All my cars have seen benefits from them so I'm comfortable paying the price. My MAF sensor has never been oily before or after using these filters, i have a basic microscope and under magnification I can't see anything and the voltage levels are at factory settings on and out of the car.

Cleaning it i do when servicing the car so it really isn't a bother at all.

I must not however that when I had the paper filter in I cleaned the throttle body out and MAF sensor, the body had a small amount of dirt already there and the sensor had some type of dust on it, so in my mind the paper filter is quilty of not filtering all that good.

But again, I know some approve and some don't, but I trust having it in my cars and do see the benefits of them in fuel and acceleration not necessarily a power increase though.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
RicStyx is offline   Reply With Quote