Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-22-2018, 11:29 AM   #1
Pinchlite

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Need to remove rear hub...UPDATE:

UPDATE:Solved with weeyari's help.It was very tight so 10mm MAX over stock lug length.There is one spot within the backplate that you can hold stud on angle that allows just enough room to pop lugnut into hub hole.

They are almost flush with fronts and very happy.

Like title says to install extended studs.Is this a diy or shop?

Last edited by Pinchlite; 03-23-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Pinchlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:35 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
based on your mileage and heavy dose of winter salt it can either be a somewhat frustrating day at home or an easy one (but potentially costly one) for a shop.

Once you have it off, if you apply anti seize to it like you should future removal is simple. I wouldn't recommend trying it at home without an air chisel, some sort of penetrating fluid and also go to a local hardware store and grab a long threaded bolt (as long as you can) and some matching nuts and various sized washers. You can make your own press to remove the dust shield from the hub if it is seized on (hint: it probably is). A torch will also help make them easier to separate.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:47 PM   #3
Pinchlite

spacer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
based on your mileage and heavy dose of winter salt it can either be a somewhat frustrating day at home or an easy one (but potentially costly one) for a shop.

Once you have it off, if you apply anti seize to it like you should future removal is simple. I wouldn't recommend trying it at home without an air chisel, some sort of penetrating fluid and also go to a local hardware store and grab a long threaded bolt (as long as you can) and some matching nuts and various sized washers. You can make your own press to remove the dust shield from the hub if it is seized on (hint: it probably is). A torch will also help make them easier to separate.

Sounds like a job for someone that has more then a gravel driveway.Going down to my mechanic and see what he will charge.He is really quite cheap compared to other shops as hes retired but still does side work and owns his own full shop.He did both my front wheel bearings for $150.00 labour.

P.S I couldint turn the star spacer down any on the drums.Up is easy peasy.The pads are fine changed last summer but the ebrake needs to be pulled up as far is it will go,even then it does not hold car.Why is is that the yaris ebrake gets loose all the time.Last time I checked metal components dont stretch.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:32 PM   #4
tmontague

you should be able to only turn it up but not down iirc. Keep turning it up and it should tighten. I honestly don't know why the Yaris drums are so bad at self adjusting, probably one of the reasons why most manufacturers went with discs in the rear.

I don't really find they even loosen, more that they don't adjust/tighten with reduction in shoe material. Although after a track day the e brake goes up a couple clicks which is likely due to the rear shoes wearing down a bit.

If yours is actually getting loose then chances are the adjuster mechanism is installed incorrectly. On my sister in laws '07 yaris the e brake had to be constantly pulled really high to engage and still barely held the vehicle. Turned out one of her adjusters had a small piece installed the wrong way. Couldn't tell just by looking at it, only noticed it until i went to adjust it and it never tightened. Personally I find that my e brake holds my car really well, and that is really how it should work
Old 03-22-2018, 01:41 PM   #5
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
you should be able to only turn it up but not down iirc. Keep turning it up and it should tighten. I honestly don't know why the Yaris drums are so bad at self adjusting, probably one of the reasons why most manufacturers went with discs in the rear.

I don't really find they even loosen, more that they don't adjust/tighten with reduction in shoe material. Although after a track day the e brake goes up a couple clicks which is likely due to the rear shoes wearing down a bit.

If yours is actually getting loose then chances are the adjuster mechanism is installed incorrectly. On my sister in laws '07 yaris the e brake had to be constantly pulled really high to engage and still barely held the vehicle. Turned out one of her adjusters had a small piece installed the wrong way. Couldn't tell just by looking at it, only noticed it until i went to adjust it and it never tightened. Personally I find that my e brake holds my car really well, and that is really how it should work
Could have sworen yaris world post somewhere had picture saying to turn down.Anyway the drums are back on and will adjust when I have more time.I will also check to make everything is installed correct.Thanks again!
Old 03-22-2018, 02:05 PM   #6
tmontague

basically you can only turn the star adjuster one way. Turn it that way to tighten. If it turns both ways then it is installed incorrectly which is why it is loosening. There should be a spring held catch that locks the star from turning one way
Old 03-22-2018, 02:51 PM   #7
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchlite View Post
Like title says to install extended studs.
Why? Based on your previous threads, you are preparing to install your wheel spacers. Why remove the hub? Like I told you before, you can do so without disassembly provided your new studs are not greater than 10mm longer than your OE studs.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:57 PM   #8
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Why? Based on your previous threads, you are preparing to install your wheel spacers. Why remove the hub? Like I told you before, you can do so without disassembly provided your new studs are not greater than 10mm longer than your OE studs.
The studs are only 10mm longer.Thats not the problem.Even new stock length studs wouldint be able to fit in without dissasembling.I found a thread about it after researching more.Must be dissasembled.I had drum off today and definitly not near enough space.

Quote from thread)

i tried replacing the studs in the rear to add spacers myself. it's quite the job. i took the whole drum apart and knocked the studs loose but couldnt slide them out. i didnt want to take apart my whole drum myself cuz i didnt want to be messing around with the brakes because i have no idea how to do it. so then i brought it to the shop and they took a look and said they would have to take off the whole drum brake itself. quoted me quite a bit of money to change the studs... maybe if i ever convert to rear disc ill get em done at the same time hehe

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13115
Old 03-22-2018, 06:41 PM   #9
WeeYari

You telling me that when I did it, it was in my dreams?

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2018, 06:48 PM   #10
Pinchlite

Quote:
You telling me that when I did it, it was in my dreams?

Me and others must be missing something then?

I am not doubting you as I highly respect your knowledge.What i dont understand is how me and others dont have enough clearance,not near enough clearance.My extended studs are exactly 10mm longer.You must be removing the internal brake shoes and components at least?

Perhaps our years differ some how?
Old 03-22-2018, 06:50 PM   #11
WeeYari

There is a spot in the backing plate that is recessed. You need to have the stud you are working on positioned over this spot. It is there that you get enough clearance.

I am obviously not removing any components when I state no disassembly required.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:54 PM   #12
Pinchlite

Thats what I figured and looked,obviously not hard enough.Going to take the drum off tomorrow again and clean it out real good to get a better view.I suppose the indent is what the other guy and mechanic was failing to see.

I take it you put extended studs on,or just replaced stock length due to broken one/s?
Old 03-22-2018, 06:55 PM   #13
WeeYari

Extended. Otherwise I would not be telling you it can be done without hub removal.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:00 PM   #14
Pinchlite

Looking forward to tomorrow.Mentioning the divet/s helped.Thanks.

P.S are you aware of https://www.reddit.com/r/yaris/

Sure some could use the expertise?
Old 03-31-2018, 09:03 AM   #15
Ronnie V

Drives: 04 3dr HB and 04 5dr RS
A small update to this thread. I have a H&R 10mm wheel spacer kit. The replacement studs are more than 10mm longer. I have tried for an hour to slip one in from the back in the "divot" area. No Go, No How, No way. So although this is a 10mm spacer kit there is no way the longer studs will go in without any disassembly.

The H&R kit will require removal of the wheel hub. I struggled for 2 hours yesterday and am now going to try the long threaded bolt and nuts as a press method.

What kit did you guys use?
Ronnie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:42 AM   #16
WeeYari

Yes, any longer than 10mm over OE cannot be done without removing the hub. I used 10mm Ichiba spacers but the supplied studs were monsters. Got correct length at an automotive supply store.

Since Pinchlite has not bothered to update his thread, I will state for the record that he was successful in getting his new studs in as I advised he could.

Old 03-31-2018, 01:55 PM   #17
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
WeeYari - one of the last standing members on here!
I applaud you
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 03:51 PM   #18
Pinchlite

Update

Quote:
Yes, any longer than 10mm over OE cannot be done without removing the hub. I used 10mm Ichiba spacers but the supplied studs were monsters. Got correct length at an automotive supply store.

Since Pinchlite has not bothered to update his thread, I will state for the record that he was successful in getting his new studs in as I advised he could.

I updated my original post last week.