Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #1
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
Our Shoot First Law

I don't know about any other states, but apparently in Kentucky where I live you can legally shoot someone who is either messing around with your car or house. Of course you would have to catch them in the act, but this law has been tested here a couple of times, I think.

Imagine! You catch someone trying to break into your car, then just pop 'em. Or you could invite your ex over and tell her/him there's a special gift inside your car for them. They go pulling on the door handle and POOF! They're done!

That's a little extreme, but believe me, I am armed and ready to shoot the moment there's some shit going on 'round my still.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
silver_echo
ekodrvr

Drives: 2002 white subaru impreza wrx
i have been told that montana has a "make my day" law... if someone is found on your property, unannounced, you would be within your rights as a landowner to shoot him...

if this is incorrect, please note that my statement started with "i have been told"

i like this smiley...
silver_echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #3
Dragracer
Yaris Noobie

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 Door
Here in Fl, we have the "Stand Your Ground" law. You no longer have to retreat if threatened. Also the "Castle Doctrine" allows us to protect our home and property. I would have to feel threatened before shooting someone just because he's on my property. Same with my car. I can repair or replace it. Not really worth killing someone over. But if I find someone in my home, the deals off!
Old 10-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
chrisj

^ The way I look at it, Dragracer, is that if someone is fooling around with my car, they are asking for anything. I don't know what I would do, but I know I would shoot. It depends on whether or not they were just "trying" to get in (warning shot over head) or had done damage (me pissed off, shooting person). LOL!
Old 10-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #5
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
ahhhhhhhhh... Lucky Luke!! The man who shoots faster than his own shadow!
Old 10-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
chrisj

I am no cowboy! I live in South Jesus where we brew our homemade moonshine, and sit cleaning our guns until the Revenuers show up. Then we are cowboys! LOL!
Old 10-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
It's called Castle Doctrine and 31 states have it, and despite what the anti-gun coalition wants you to believe, it is not a "shoot first and ask questions later" law. It gives law-abiding citizens the right to defend themselves, their families and their property without any requirement to retreat. Basically, it is letting the criminals know they could pay with their lives when they try to hurt or rob someone. We've had it for years and despite what the Brady Bunch want you to believe, the result hasn't been a great increase in shootings. Surprisingly enough, it is a big deterrent for the above-mentioned reasons...
Old 10-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #8
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
we have the same thing here in Ohio...

currently there is a .45 on my side.... shorty shotgun about 10 steps away.... 380 in the wife's night stand.... and AR15 on my side of the bed.... all loaded, handguns are cocked and one in the hole
Old 10-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #9
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
I envy you guys. Here in North Carolina things are different.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:47 PM   #10
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Really? I think even here in California, we have the right to shoot if you enter the home. Outside is a different story, though.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:49 PM   #11
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
As I understand the castle doctrine, it applies to an immediate threat IN your home. Just because you've got some yahoo prowling around your yard doesn't give you the right to kill him...

...that's why I'd unlock the door and wait 'till the eFr steps foot inside the door. Two shots. Bang! "Stop or I'll shoot!" Bang! Just to make sure I popped his mellon.

...now, how to set up one of my favorite .308 platforms at the front door...

(testing for function and familiarity) - the 5th SF group are a great bunch of hooligans! I'd follow them to the gates of hell and back.

^the 5th's ISOF "off duty" shirts. It'd prolly look bad if you were wearing one of these after popping someone breaking into your home.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:02 AM   #12
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato View Post
Really? I think even here in California, we have the right to shoot if you enter the home. Outside is a different story, though.
I thought the California law was that you could only shoot (in your home) under threat of imminent harm. But I thought that if they just want to take your stuff, you have no right to fire? I'm not to sure if I'm right or wrong on this one though. . .
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:16 AM   #13
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
As far as I understand, here in Michigan we have the Castle Doctrine but it's more hastle than it's really worth. Almost like a too good to be true scenario. The criminal must be inside your home and you must have probable reason and cause that you or your families life is threatened. And even after the event...the asshole culprit is going to sue you and probably win because even though he's the one that broke in your home, he now is disabled for life, etc, etc.

I love this country but I hate catch 22 bs things that people get away with due to the legal system.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:31 AM   #14
chrisj

Well, that law about the criminal being inside the house is almost everywhere. I am talking about outside your door and outside your car in your driveway. That's what we have here. Lots different...and I like it!
Old 10-10-2010, 12:41 AM   #15
tonbon

Drives: 09 hatchback
ahh yeeesss.
the "stand your ground" laws state that you no longer have "duty to retreat".
If you are leagalley allowed to be somewhere, you may "stand your ground" and defend yourself.
In NC (for example), you are suppossed to attempt to retreat and avoid the "conflict". if the "stand your ground" laws pass, you no longer need to retreat.
the castle doctrine pertains to while you are in your house on on your property. in many cases, being in your car or a hotel room is included.
neither of these are "shoot first" laws.
tonbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:12 AM   #16
chrisj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonbon View Post
neither of these are "shoot first" laws.
Oh, we just shoot first anyway...
Old 10-10-2010, 01:18 AM   #17
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Really, you guys are amazing. SHOOT someone? For ANY reason? Man, it makes me glad I live in Canada. We just beat back the NRA's attempt to Americanise our gun laws. The only handguns in Canada are the ones illegally imported from the US, and that is a good thing. We don't need guns to protect ourselves here, we educate our kids that killing people is wrong, wrong, wrong.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:23 AM   #18
chrisj

^ I would love to live in Canada. Hell, I'm retired and can live wherever I want! But I can't move there. They have some weird laws about immigrants these days. I would gladly leave my guns at home if I could come there and live. I remember watching a show on TV and it was talking about the extreme difference between Detroit and Windsor right across the river. Light years.