Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #37
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Well, Black Yaris, I suppose that is a possibility alright. However, let me make a couple of points: Up here in Canada, we are taught that stuff belongs ot other people and that just because it is available does not mean it is free for the taking. Poor education and lousy courts make for people unable to learn this point.

Except for the firing range, I have only heard gunfire once here, and never where I lived before, Vancouver. Unlike the US, guns are frowned upon here, and the use of guns draws very heavy penalties. I have never felt the need to protect my stuff nor my family, never in my life as a Canadian. I wish I could say the same for the US: gunfire in LA was a nightly occurrence, weekly in rural Arizona! Why? Why is it necessary to use firearms, or even carry firearms? Who is responsible for these people who use them for nefarious purposes? Think about it for awhile, and you will find that you yourselves have built this scenario, and that is why it all stops at the US border. After you have thought long and hard, you will see that it is the education system, and the media, responsible for your ongoing paranoia. Why would anyone use Clint Eastwood or John Wayne as an icon for acceptable behaviour? No other ecivilised country has such a bizarre attitude towards such violence!
Well, I see your POV... But it seams as we live in two different worlds. You may bash our education of what is wrong and what is right, but that is the world I live in. I do not live in a big city, but we have one of the highest unemployment rates in the county. People are desperate, and there are many layoffs in public safety. I have been robbed at gun point more than once, there are many home invasions, car jackings, muggings amongst other crimes of desperation here. My family is armed well in case, and I hope that day never comes. I never wish to take a life, but if it comes down to their life or mine, I will not hesitate.

You live in my world, I am sure you would change your mind.... and if I lived in yours, I am sure I would as well.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:03 AM   #38
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Point taken. Education is the biggest factor in the American attitude, but how tax money is spent is a close second. Sure, we have unemployment here, and sometimes desperate people as well. But, we have a safety net (sometimes called communism in the US), where we don't allow anyone to starve. We make sure that seniors do not have to work past 65 for lack of pensions. It isn't all beer and skittles, but we all survive without ever having to turn to a life of crime. We do this instead of spending huge amounts of tax dollars running wars to preserve a supply of cheap oil. I know that sounds like a cheap political shot, but really, one must have a close look at how other countries spend their money, and on who. I do wish we followed the European models more closely, but for now we are stuck with a Prime Minister who thinks Bush was on the right track, and we are poorer for it.

Lots of luck, Black Yaris. I think you understand why I live here, and not there...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:14 AM   #39
Black Yaris
der Zeck

I fully understand why you live where you do, and I would gladly give up all my firearms for the peace of mind you have.
Can I do anything about the shitty decisions that have been made by leaders in my country? Not really, all I can do is vote for the candidate I feel would do the best job. I just live in this world they have created the best that I can.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:01 AM   #40
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebob View Post

From what I have been told it’s better to kill the person and not leave them living and injured.
Right! And for anyone who isn't dead sure about aim, how about some target practice plunking cans on that next pretty day!

The last thing I want is for some gimpy-legged criminal to come sneaking around again. Best to just end it right then and there.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #41
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
I'm single and live alone and I have a 9 mm Glock ready for any intruder. In fact, a policeman recently told me that if I catch someone trying to break in, shoot him and then drag him right inside the doorway and I'll be ok. And then call 911.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot anyone with the intent to harm me OR my cats. Or maybe even my Yaris.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:09 AM   #42
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
America. The only country on Earth that other countries complain if it doesn't help them...and still complains if they do.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #43
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Right! And for anyone who isn't dead sure about aim, how about some target practice plunking cans on that next pretty day!

The last thing I want is for some gimpy-legged criminal to come sneaking around again. Best to just end it right then and there.
actually, the reason they tell you to "shoot to kill" is... if you wound an intruder they can turn around and make you pay them for the rest of their life for the injury. That is what they teach in the CCW class atleast.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:20 AM   #44
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
My instructor also told me to atleast put 5 shots in his torso to atleast know he is down and out. The rules that apply here are that, you need to fear for your life or anothers life around you in order to discharge your firearm. Like if there was a robbery somewhere and you beleived you or someone else would be harmed you can use it.

The main reason I got my license, like some, was that if ever the case someone came and tried to harm my family/friends I want to be able to defend them by any means possible though I never want to take another persons life, it was their doing to begin with.

Last edited by Nexus1155; 10-13-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #45
chrisj

I always liked the idea of a sawed-off shotgun. You don't even have to be really accurate with that sucker. :) Just aim in the general direction.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:56 PM   #46
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
I always liked the idea of a sawed-off shotgun. You don't even have to be really accurate with that sucker. :) Just aim in the general direction.
I have the shortest legal shotty for home protection. Mossberg 500 w/ 18.5 inch barrel, pistol grip no stock, 12gauge loaded with 00 buck
Old 10-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #47
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
No other civilised country has such a bizarre attitude towards such violence!
Eh? Every country that I know off has some form of organized defense which includes the use of weapons to protects its interests, even Canada (I do know you still have an armed forces because I am good friends of someone who is in it!).

So it's OK for country's to use violence to protect their interests and "property" but that's not the right of the common man?

If another country invaded Canada, it would respond with force, wouldn't it? Well, just consider Castle Doctrine to be a smaller version of that, I have the right to defend my interests and property from those who threaten it.

Hell, even the Swiss understand this, and they are bigger pacifists than the Canadians!
Old 10-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #48
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Exactly, why buy jet fighters when you always have America to bail you out.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #49
chrisj

After Pearl Harbor, Americans stopped being isolationists and started offering their services to anyone who was being bullied. This happened in Korea, Vietnam, Bosnia, the list goes on. I don't necessarily agree with it, but if we are going to help one country, we should also help another...when it's obvious what the "war" is really for, it makes a country in need wonder what they have to offer, and will America help. No oil? No gold? No something else we need? We're busy. LOL!
Old 10-13-2010, 05:03 PM   #50
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
but too many people are too rigid in their belief in the Constitution, it is a great document but documents need to be revised from time to time. I hope i didnt insult anyone.
The problem is that their are many foolish Americans that feel the way you do. With Americans being murdered on the Mexican borders by drug lords, and with said incursions becoming more and more common and the druggies becoming more and more well armed, the people down there would be sitting ducks if they couldn't have guns. The stories coming out of our southern border are sickening.

The other problem is people are far too comfortable nowadays, a lot of people forget what it was like to take care of themselves.Everyone now assumes the police will come instantly or someone else will defend them if the need arises. Never mind if something happens and they need simple things like food or water. No one is prepared for anything anymore. In general, we are all soft compared to how people lived 100 years ago. And God forbid something happens that makes all this tech worthless.

Until you can say there are zero deaths by crime anywhere on the planet, every citizen should own and be well trained on hand weapons, because what humans are best at is creating new, varied, and more horrible ways to kill each other.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #51
chrisj

My personal Gun Law is simple, and I think that many people with guns in their homes probably feel similarly. I have guns in my home for protection. I'm not rowdy and go outside and start shootin' (although some do here in South Jesus), but I do want to be prepared if some shit goes down.

The very last thing I want to be is some anti-gun person whose home gets broken into and his head shot off...all without even having anything to fight back with. If I go down, it will be with guns a' blazin'! :)
Old 10-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #52
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
It's called Castle Doctrine and 31 states have it, and despite what the anti-gun coalition wants you to believe, it is not a "shoot first and ask questions later" law. It gives law-abiding citizens the right to defend themselves, their families and their property without any requirement to retreat. Basically, it is letting the criminals know they could pay with their lives when they try to hurt or rob someone. We've had it for years and despite what the Brady Bunch want you to believe, the result hasn't been a great increase in shootings. Surprisingly enough, it is a big deterrent for the above-mentioned reasons...
so theft, trespassing, vandalism, home invasions in those 31 states are substantially lower than the other 19 states that don't have this law right?

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:21 PM   #53
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
The problem is that their are many foolish Americans that feel the way you do. With Americans being murdered on the Mexican borders by drug lords, and with said incursions becoming more and more common and the druggies becoming more and more well armed, the people down there would be sitting ducks if they couldn't have guns. The stories coming out of our southern border are sickening.

The other problem is people are far too comfortable nowadays, a lot of people forget what it was like to take care of themselves.Everyone now assumes the police will come instantly or someone else will defend them if the need arises. Never mind if something happens and they need simple things like food or water. No one is prepared for anything anymore. In general, we are all soft compared to how people lived 100 years ago. And God forbid something happens that makes all this tech worthless.

Until you can say there are zero deaths by crime anywhere on the planet, every citizen should own and be well trained on hand weapons, because what humans are best at is creating new, varied, and more horrible ways to kill each other.

the violence on the border has a lot more to do with our dumbass war on drugs than it does people's lack of arms.

also how does being anti gun equate being helpless. would you also consider all the civilizations before the firearm was invented, helpless?

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?

Last edited by frownonfun; 10-13-2010 at 08:06 PM.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:08 PM   #54
Black Yaris
der Zeck

To tell ya'll the truth...... I am just preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse