Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #19
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
Sounds like a lot of stressing for nothing. When it gets to 2 bars left, fill up. It's that simple. Plus if you constantly run it low, your fuel pump will go out.
Well, that's what I said earlier. I don't see the point in running the tank down to fumes.

The only reason I use the method I described is just as a means of knowing approximately how many more miles I can go before filling up. By no means do I use it to try to get the last drop of gas used before filling up. I think it is silly to do that.

I fill up on the way in to work at a gas station near my workplace. I might use that range estimation method to decide if I should fill up today or if I can get home and back to work tomorrow. If I think it is going to be too close, I will fill up today and not take the chance.

Tom

P.S.

I have kept track of every gallon of gas that I have put in my Yaris since I bought it one year ago. The average number of gallons that I have bought per fill-up is 7.822, and the most it ever took to fill it was 9.50 gallons, so I am not trying to run the tank too low.
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:59 PM   #20
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
One more time: here I am, 390kms on the clock, 2 bars missing off the gauge. Nice piece of (worthless) equipment, that gas gauge...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #21
Canuck

Drives: 07 5 door Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
One more time: here I am, 390kms on the clock, 2 bars missing off the gauge. Nice piece of (worthless) equipment, that gas gauge...
And you'll see that it will start to go down faster from this point. Like any other gauges, it's not quite linear, the top end goes slower than the bottom.

Like it's been said before, when you reach 2-3 bars left, fill up.
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:18 PM   #22
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Gas gauges have always been nearly worthless. Not completely worthless. People would never have stood for that all these years. Just as cheap, unreliable, and worthless as people would tolerate at the time of the vehicles' sale.

I've watched economy cars evolve from the most basic of conveyances into the grand carriages which we expect to inhabit the bottom rung today. If buyers of the bottom rung of cars begin to demand an accurate gauge, then the bottom rung will likely get accurate gauges.

We're actually doing somewhat better than the Prius-Owning folk. They had to put up with a gasoline bladder for years, and were only granted a real gas "tank" for the 2010 model year. That wreaked a particular havoc upon their gas gauge accuracy.

-Steve
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #23
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
One major complaint I have with ALL gas gauges is that when they read half a tank, how are we supposed to know if the tank is half empty or half full?

YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:26 PM   #24
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer812 View Post
Roughly how much gas is left when it drops to 2 bars? I have had my new car 26 days now and it just dropped to two bars but it only has about 215 miles on it. thanks
My first tank was not a good indication of the milage. The first bar dropped in the first 5 miles. I usually drive 250 miles after the first bar drops.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:12 PM   #25
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
I'm not exactly a neophyte when it comes to fuel gauges. This one is duff: after nearly 3 years, this gauge is completely unreliable, sticking sometimes, working fine other times.

The gauge I had on a Brit car was sensitive enough that it would jiggle just below full after 50 miles, and jump off empty when the last half-gallon sloshed across the bottom of the tank; amazingly, I got used to that kind of accuracy. That was old technology; now it has been replaced by this crap...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:53 PM   #26
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
+1 S.B.27 . The '07 PRIUS we had drove me nuts during fill ups . Took forever to fill during winter and summer since the bladder would get stiff ( shrinkage ) from the cold and the summer fills were difficult from the fumes kept in the bladder making the nozzle click off constantly . Also , on a few occasions the gas came gushing / spurting out thanks to unpredictable bladder . So , accurate fills were nearly impossible .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:52 AM   #27
bkrownd

Drives: 2010 Yaris "5-door"
My '87 Corolla gas gauge is pretty consistent - wonder what's up with the newer ones?
bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 02:10 AM   #28
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Lightbulb

I' don't dislike how it looks but how it works is other thing, you have to get use to it the first bar normally I get 60 to 70 miles to the second one 110 or a little bit more, each bar will disappear almost at the same speed until half tank, then each bar goes faster.

I use to have a Scion Tc and the same thing after half tank the needle will drop faster, maybe Toyota’s have that tendency, Previous to my Yaris I use to drive a 350Z and I remember the gas gage will normally go down accordingly of course it wasn’t perfect like it should be.

The best way to be safe is resetting your Trip
Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:28 AM   #29
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas13 View Post
I use to have a Scion Tc and the same thing after half tank the needle will drop faster, maybe Toyota’s have that tendency
Nope. Not just Toyota. I've seen this on the Fords, Mitsubishis, Chevys, Jeeps, and Dodges that I've driven. It has a lot to do with the shape of the tank. It is a bit deceiving. You would think that half a tank would actually be half a tank. But not completely.

I dislike the "bar" gas gauge. I would rather the old style needle gauge for the fuel. I don't watch my gas gauge the entire time I'm driving, since I'm trying to watch the road. At least then I'd know approximately where I was at. This one, I never see exactly when my gauge starts blinking. Whereas with the needle, I'd have a better idea of where it's at.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:46 AM   #30
bkrownd

Drives: 2010 Yaris "5-door"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas13 View Post
I' don't dislike how it looks but how it works is other thing, you have to get use to it the first bar normally I get 60 to 70 miles to the second one 110 or a little bit more, each bar will disappear almost at the same speed until half tank, then each bar goes faster.
I don't know if I've seen a truly linear gas gauge. They're all some wacky function of how much gas is left. It doesn't really matter though as long as they're consistent. The traditional analog gauge is certainly much superior to the electronics-inspired bar thing, but as long as there's a tachometer I can let it slide.
bkrownd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:11 AM   #31
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
I will say this again

the gauge is damn accurate. but only Once it starts to move.

at 4 bars you have exactly 1/2 tank left, and have already driven 1/2 the distance
the full tank will give you at whatever average mileage you are doing.

at 1 bar blink you have exactly 1.6 gallons left.

compared with scangauge, the gauge is very accurate but only when it starts to move.
the first bar takes a while to move due to float drowning
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:04 AM   #32
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Plus, tank topping provides a variable amount of gas above the full point on the gauge.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #33
sbergman27

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_hickman11 View Post
Plus if you constantly run it low, your fuel pump will go out.
Slightly off topic. But if this is really true, is there some reason that a modern fuel pump cannot be designed to deal with this common enough situation without failing? You know. Like the fuel pumps in my family's 1956 Cadillac and 1964 Buick did? Like the fuel pumps in my 1968 Cadillacs do? Like my 1970 Ford Maverick? Like my 1988 Chevy Sprint? Why should the fuel pump in my new Toyota blow up if I happen to run out of fuel? Think about that. Do our cars really have such a poor fuel pump design? Or is this just hearsay? Either way, the blame needs to be apportioned properly.

-Steve
Old 04-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #34
sbergman27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Plus, tank topping provides a variable amount of gas above the full point on the gauge.
About 1.2 gallons. Takes the tank range from about 450 miles to 500+ miles. But, traditionally speaking, nobody cares about the accuracy of the gas gauge above 'F'. Interest *begins* at 'F' and steadily increases as the needle approaches and descends past 'E'.

-Steve
Old 04-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #35
sbergman27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
Took forever to fill during winter and summer since the bladder would get stiff ( shrinkage ) from the cold and the summer fills were difficult from the fumes kept in the bladder making the nozzle click off constantly . Also , on a few occasions the gas came gushing / spurting out thanks to unpredictable bladder . So , accurate fills were nearly impossible .
Which is the best argument I've ever seen *against* the idea of racial memory. One might have expected 3.5 billion years of evolution to have warned us against that particular engineering pitfall.

-Steve
Old 04-15-2010, 12:39 PM   #36
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
don't top off our cars anymore . Thanks to damage it can cause to the evaporator system . Here's a reason not to , www.mpt.org/motorweek/goss/2930.shtml .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote