Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
lamadoo

Drives: 2007 Yaris 3door white
Car wash causing electronic problems?

Have you guys experienced any problems after washing your yaris?

I have been using a high pressure hose at the self-car wash and sometimes also spraying on the 'clear coat' they have as well. Afterwards my yaris would experience a lost in acceleration immediately or soon afterwards of driving (Shows up TPS sensor problem in code scanner) or sometimes my car key lock remote won't work but would after a while, perhaps when it dries up.

I've noticed that each time I spray my car the engine bay area becomes pretty wet, especially @ the throttle and air filter area, water would somehow make its way into the engine bay area. I than realized this pattern occurring repetitively and could be why my yaris would get the check engine light on and the loss of acceleration at random times (TPS) and sometimes remote key locking problems.

After changing from 'high pressure hose' to 'low pressure hose' at the car wash and stopped using the 'clear coat' spray , the engine bay looks pretty dry and nice after a good car wash, and i would experience no problems there after. I would also sometimes cover the engine bay with newspapers before washing for fear of getting anything wet.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or is this very abnormal behavior? I always see people using the 'high pressure' hose so thought nothing of it. No more problems as of yet with careful washing now. Looking for your experiences and input thanks guys

Last edited by lamadoo; 12-23-2013 at 09:01 PM.
lamadoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I have intentionally washed my engine bay without a problem, but I always cover the intake when doing so. I also avoid chemicals other than a mild soap. I also wait until it dries out before staring the car.

It would be interesting to find out exactly what the "clear coat" is to see what chemicals it contains.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadoo View Post
Have you guys experienced any problems after washing your yaris?

I have been using a high pressure hose at the self-car wash and sometimes also spraying on the 'clear coat' they have as well. Afterwards my yaris would experience a lost in acceleration immediately or soon afterwards of driving (Shows up TPS sensor problem in code scanner) or sometimes my car key lock remote won't work but would after a while, perhaps when it dries up.

I've noticed that each time I spray my car the engine bay area becomes pretty wet, especially @ the throttle and air filter area, water would somehow make its way into the engine bay area. I than realized this pattern occurring repetitively and could be why my yaris would get the check engine light on and the loss of acceleration at random times (TPS) and sometimes remote key locking problems.

After changing from 'high pressure hose' to 'low pressure hose' at the car wash and stopped using the 'clear coat' spray , the engine bay looks pretty dry and nice after a good car wash, and i would experience no problems there after. I would also sometimes cover the engine bay with newspapers before washing for fear of getting anything wet.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or is this very abnormal behavior? I always see people using the 'high pressure' hose so thought nothing of it. No more problems as of yet with careful washing now. Looking for your experiences and input thanks guys
One of the major advantages of the Yaris is its lack of moisture-sensitive parts like distributor and plug wires. If you've ever taken the computer's connections apart, you'll have noticed that they're pretty well sealed.

I think your problem is most likely caused by soaking the air filter. You can do this from inside or outside the engine bay, given the use of a high pressure hose. Affixing a plastic bag to the intake pipe might do the trick.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
lamadoo

Drives: 2007 Yaris 3door white
Thanks for your experiences and advice CT Scott and Sir A.Y. Atoyot. Good to hear the yaris is quite water resistant. I'll just cover the intake with a bag next time

I too am unsure what the 'clear coat' spray is made out of, it costs the same as the 'high pressure' hose so its dirt cheap. i used it as a wax alternative since it lasts up to 2 days and than disappears, keeps it clean and shiny for a couple of days until it evaporates. Back to the traditional wax now

oh and have a peaceful xmas :)
lamadoo is offline   Reply With Quote