Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-02-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Question about a changing oil level

This is a weird one, and I though somebody might have some idea of what might be going with this situation...

I recently checked my oil level one morning (cold engine) and saw that the oil level appeared to have dropped - not much, maybe 1/4 of the distance between the upper and lower marks on the 'stick. My first reaction was, "oh crap, my engine's burning oil". The car was on a level surface and had been idle for hours. To be double-sure, I even unscrewed the oil filler cap and waited a while - just in case there was some kind of "vacuum" that might prevent all the oil from draining down to the bottom of the engine.

I mentioned this to a friend and they suggested that I check the oil when the engine is warm. When checking the warm engine (it sat for about ten minutes), the oil level was perfect.

The car was in the same spot both times, so no uphill/downhill change.

I can't believe that motor oil expands that much when warm, but it's the only explanation I can think of for the change. If anything, I would think the level would drop on a warm engine due to oil still being up in the head/etc.

Can anyone explain this?

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)

Last edited by Goose; 11-02-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Yes, the oil will expand quite a bit when hot. That's why most owners manuals suggest checking the oil level shortly after shut down. This is also why you check an auto transmission when the fluid is hot to get an accurate level.

It's easier to see the oil level on the Yaris after sitting over night though so now you have your "conversion factor". Now when you check your oil level cold you'll know that a quarter below full really means "full".

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:12 PM   #3
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that oil expanded so much - yet another reason to not overfill!

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
heat expands....cold contracts...simple. that's why they always want you to check things hot...power steering, radiator, brake fluid, and all others, need to be checked hot.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote