Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-24-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
Yarflana

Drives: 2008 Base Model
Headlight bulb change....more to it than meets the eye...

Well, I ventured into changing the headlight bulb on one side of my 2008 hatch. Looked simple enough from photos and stuff, but once you get in there, the driver's side bulb housing is so tight, I thought I would take the entire headlight assembly out.

Well, that means taking the entire front apron off the car! It was easy as pie to do, but just unexpected. I added a photo below for your viewing pleasure.

The nice thing is once you get that front apron off, just using a 10mm socket and wrench, you have all the room you need to remove that headlight assembly, pull off the headlight bulb connector and remove the bulb clips (those clips no one has ever mentioned that I can tell) and take the bulb out with the rubber cover.

I plan to order some more clips for the front apron as I noticed a few were missing, but overall, it was easy and I decided (since I had bought two bulbs thinking the passenger side would soon go out as well) to replace the passenger side as well and keep that bulb as a backup.

I also decided to run some electrical tests to ensure I knew how to use my Fluke voltmeter that I bought 15 years ago and can do everything. I tested the low and high beam parts of the connectors before removing everything in the first place to ensure at least power was getting to the bulb before disassembling it all. It was all good.

Then after removing the old bulb, I ran a continuity test on the contacts for the bulb and certainly, the low beam didn't have connectivity, but the high beam did and this made sense since the high beam would light, but the low beam wouldn't.

Overall, a great experience and learned more. Now time to tackle the driver's side rear brake light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20130324-00056.jpg (151.6 KB, 148 views)
Yarflana is offline   Reply With Quote