Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #181
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I watched your video ... and you are just a hazard on the road. It is not impressive, you are going to kill someone driving at those speeds on a public freeway. It is just plain stupid.
look where he is from before you condemn him. Driving in other countries is nothing like driving in canada or the US.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #182
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
look where he is from before you condemn him. Driving in other countries is nothing like driving in canada or the US.
Yeah! In the video I saw turn signals being used and the right lane wasn't completely full of people driving well under the speed limit.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:47 AM   #183
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
I am well aware where he is from. It says so in the comments of the video. Like it or not ... I am allowed my opinion on the topic and I don't really need to say anymore as I think I have made my opinion very clear. You (or anyone else) however do not have to agree with me.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #184
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
Quote:
I am well aware where he is from. It says so in the comments of the video. Like it or not ... I am allowed my opinion on the topic and I don't really need to say anymore as I think I have made my opinion very clear. You (or anyone else) however do not have to agree with me.
Yeah, you're allowed your opinion but remember you're commenting on a thread where the title is, How fast you got your Yaris to go. WTF? Really?

And if it bothers you that much why are you even commenting on thread that bothers you so much, where the main point is top speed.
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #185
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
I agree with edmscan in this case. I have been in and driven in many countries around the world. Some folks may complain about how terrible drivers are in NA, but really we can't hold a candle to the insanity in other countries. You would never catch me driving over 100mph on busy roadways let alone at night. Hell, even on the I-95 corridor from Houlton, ME to Bangor, ME (Google Map/Sat it) with the little traffic it has I am perfectly happy cruising at the 75-85mph that folks drive.

As for closing the thread I actually agree with why? about closing it. It only promotes silliness on the roadways. "Gee, someone said they were able to go xxx mph on the Yaris forum so I am going to try and beat it!" Universally stupid.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #186
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchbackkid82 View Post
Yeah, you're allowed your opinion but remember you're commenting on a thread where the title is, How fast you got your Yaris to go. WTF? Really?

And if it bothers you that much why are you even commenting on thread that bothers you so much, where the main point is top speed.
If the main point was really Top Speed then it should be top speed being gained safely not something based on what is most likely being done on public roadways.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #187
Foot

Drives: 2010 3dr yaris
Next we will start a thread, How fast have you legally gone in your Yaris?
I will start... I have gone 70mph on a clear,sunny no traffic, no radio on, and completely focused on the road.
Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #188
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot View Post
Next we will start a thread, How fast have you legally gone in your Yaris?
I will start... I have gone 70mph on a clear,sunny no traffic, no radio on, and completely focused on the road.
62mph here!
Old 04-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #189
edmscan

I must post the reason why I am bothered by it. First .. I will comment that I have been in Germany and have done 220 km/h and felt totally safe. It isn't so much the speed he was going but more the fashion he was doing it.

The poster had to record his high speed careless driving just so he could post it on YouTube. It promotes stupidity. If you watch the video . . he was passing other vehicles like they were standing still, thus making it a stupid and dangerous thing to do. If he would have posted his speed and not the videos I would have had no problem with it. In his second video he was just driving like an ass in a parking lot.

I will admit that I am biased in my opinion cause most of family are law enforcement officers, and when I see such crap on YouTube I cannot help but wanting to throw the book at them. It should be noted that such videos HAVE happened in Canada and the person involved have seen harsh penalties.

Can someone definitively tell me the speed limit in the area he was in and that he was not speeding at the time ?

If he would have done what he did in my province he would have received a huge ticket and the police would have attempted to permanently seize his car. (something they cannot currently do, but they are working on it)

There have been several cases of people driving at high speed in BC and having people killed in the process. Somehow I think that if one of your family members was killed by the poster of the video, you guys would probably not be promoting his actions.

I personally never go more than 15 km/h over the speed limit .. as excessive speed kills, something most of you seem to be forgetting.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:37 AM   #190
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
I must post the reason why I am bothered by it. First .. I will comment that I have been in Germany and have done 220 km/h and felt totally safe. It isn't so much the speed he was going but more the fashion he was doing it.

The poster had to record his high speed careless driving just so he could post it on YouTube. It promotes stupidity. If you watch the video . . he was passing other vehicles like they were standing still, thus making it a stupid and dangerous thing to do.
Oh man, if you're driving "this thread"-fast on the German autobahn, i.e. averaging 85 mph, you'll get passed often as if you were standing still.

Source: born and raised in Germany.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #191
edmscan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Oh man, if you're driving "this thread"-fast on the German autobahn, i.e. averaging 85 mph, you'll get passed often as if you were standing still.

Source: born and raised in Germany.
Here . . I have a problem going 60 km/h due to all our pot holes (600,000 being fixed here this year). Our roads are a mess, but at least in Germany the roads are well maintained, thus high speeds are possible.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:18 AM   #192
Mittelklasse
Problem, officer?

Drives: '06 Yaris 5DLB 1.5
Quote:
LOL. Not trying to justify myself here but if by driving fast on an elevated tollway at late night of a holiday is severely careless and could be compared to attempting murder, how about one of these?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EutGUdwHQQ&hd=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m01z2vkK4S4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l88-U-tbQdQ

Was that an act of terror and promotes terroism?
Mittelklasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:49 AM   #193
Mittelklasse
Problem, officer?

Drives: '06 Yaris 5DLB 1.5
Quote:
I will admit that I am biased in my opinion cause most of family are law enforcement officers, and when I see such crap on YouTube I cannot help but wanting to throw the book at them. It should be noted that such videos HAVE happened in Canada and the person involved have seen harsh penalties.
Most of my family got a degree in law and my father-in-law is an attorney, yet I'm not biased.

Quote:
Can someone definitively tell me the speed limit in the area he was in and that he was not speeding at the time?
On elevated tollway it is 120 km/h (74 MPH). But in practice they allow up to 130 km/h (80 MPH). I was definitely speeding back there, eh?

Quote:
If he would have done what he did in my province he would have received a huge ticket and the police would have attempted to permanently seize his car. (something they cannot currently do, but they are working on it)
Good thing I have been living in Thailand.

Quote:
There have been several cases of people driving at high speed in BC and having people killed in the process. Somehow I think that if one of your family members was killed by the poster of the video, you guys would probably not be promoting his actions.
If somehow one of their family members managed to come to Thailand and climbed up on the elevated tollway here and jumped right in front of my car.

Also I didn't see anyone promoting my action, eh. I myself, too, don't think that driving at excessively high speed is a right thing to do; yet I don't think that makes one a criminal.

(Also, if you watch other top speed videos on my YouTube profile, you might notice that I only took those during late night and on an elevated tollway.)
Mittelklasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #194
Tomatogrower
The Flying Tomato

Drives: 2009 Red Yaris Hatchback
95 mph all stock

Tomatogrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #195
MiataKiller

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sport LB
113mph before Rev limit kicked in.Not the fastest car ever but fun as hell to drive sometimes
MiataKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #196
caper26

Drives: 2010 4D Sedan 5M w/convenience
Was going through 178 km/hr when wife snapped this. Was still gaining quite nicely and still smooth, but wife was getting nervous, so about 180 or so when I let go of the pedal. 5 speed manual no mods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yaris-178.jpg (170.1 KB, 69 views)
Old 06-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #197
7:34pm

Drives: 07 Yaris
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/b-c-man...land-1.1331071

"he wanted to see how fast it could go"

lol

side note: I've been on at least 20 other car forums and a thread like this would have gotten locked pretty quick. Just saying...
7:34pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #198
caper26

Drives: 2010 4D Sedan 5M w/convenience
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7:34pm View Post

side note: I've been on at least 20 other car forums and a thread like this would have gotten locked pretty quick. Just saying...
Looks like its going almost 3 years now...
In other news...