Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #127
frog13
Tw200--excellent!

Drives: 2010 yaris..absolutely red.
Vinegar kills mold and alot of other "buggies"...try 50/50 solution w. water and pour a little bit (4oz) into the outside vent...it's worth a try.How often do folks that are having this problem inspect/replace their evaporator filter?.It is accessable through the lower passenger glove box---take box out---then pull out the filter!. Also,on a different post/thread a person was asking about a wire/mesh covering for their outside air vent to keep out foreign matter.....the 2010's come with them installed...look-up the part number and maybe it will work for your earlier models!!!!!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:16 AM   #128
hayden

Drives: asd
I recently bought an 07 Yaris with 35,700 miles. Noticed this problem as soon as I got it but didn't think to look it up and see that there was the free in-warranty fix for it until tonight. I'm at 36,150 miles now. Damnit.
hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:13 AM   #129
08blackyari
slowpoke

Drives: 08 blk LB manu. pwr opt & cld
my dash got scratched as well. i wish I could have been there for the whole process.
08blackyari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #130
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I just walked by this nice woman that had her temp plates from buying her brand new 2k10 sedan. I spoke with her for a few minutes and asked her if I could see whether or not the car had the filter installed. She looked a bit confused, but let me pull out her glovebox and low/behold, no filter as I suspected. I told her to take it back to her dealership and demand they install it for free. She was extremely grateful as her husband passed away a month ago and of course always took care of those types of things.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:19 AM   #131
YarisLover09

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorizk View Post
Well I have an odor in particular situations. If I turn the ventilation without the A/C button pressed, the odor is terrible. If the A/C button is pressed, then the odor disappears completely.. Very weird.. (I'm talking cold air)
I have the exact same situation with my '09... I am wondering if it's because when I bought it (30,000 miles) there was no cabin air filter installed. I installed one immediately... I wonder if there are any steps I can take to fix this myself because it looks like '09s are not covered by warranty.

I wonder why it would only smell bad with the regular cold air and not the A/C?
YarisLover09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 11:35 PM   #132
Brianr4

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3dr Hatchback
I have that horrible odor.
I have the extended warranty and my car is Toyota certified. Have to check to see if it is covered.

On a side note my 2000 Tacoma had this smell and it was sooo bad I would get a sick feeling when it would occurr.
Never took it in to get checked. I always thought it was because the truck sat up for months at a time because I didn't drive it much. I even tried pouring bleach in the cowl vent, but that never helped one bit.
Brianr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:28 AM   #133
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
stickiness is back..always right after using the a/c.... arghhhhhhhh!

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:07 PM   #134
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
my 2010 has it.....
Old 05-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #135
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
yep gonna have to replace the evaporator and the a/c amplifier. I will be buying the parts in the next month or so and replacing them myself since the fucks at toyota wouldn't stand up for their product.(1000 miles out of warranty, "i'm sorry sir we have no financial obligation to you"
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #136
Bobohhhhhh

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Bladesmith let me know how that works out for you. My 07 is past it's warranty now and I have had Jo idea until now that this was a common problem. Since Toyota won't be covering it, I'll likely do it myself as well. I would think with the right tools, a service manual, and a bit if mechanical apptitude I could get it done in a day.
Bobohhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:55 PM   #137
Bobohhhhhh

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Another thing... Can anyone tell me where to find the AC drain hose so I can check to see if mine is clogged. I searched the forums but couldn't find an answer.
Bobohhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #138
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobohhhhhh View Post
Another thing... Can anyone tell me where to find the AC drain hose so I can check to see if mine is clogged. I searched the forums but couldn't find an answer.
It is under the top left edge of the carpet of the passenger side foot well.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:55 AM   #139
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Here is a picture of stuff you can get to fix stinky climate control systems.
WTF is that crap on your keyboard???? EEEEWWWWWW
ROCKLANDTOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:19 AM   #140
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Its a really bad idea to run your AC on recirc for long periods of time. Frequently change to circulate fresh air. Mold or something gets in the internal components of the climate control system. It stinks to high heaven. My wife did that to her Camry and its hard to sit in the vehicle it stinks so bad.
I think you're right. I've got that musty stench in my 2010 now. I checked the A/C condensate drain, it's not clogged, and I know for certain those 2 rubber plugs were installed that they use for transit from the factory (they were in the glove box but I took the car back to have them installed the first week I got the car, so it's not that).

My problem started in August when we had 100+ degree heat index for days on end, and I'd drive home with the A/C on "recirculate" to keep it cool enough.

I don't have a cabin filter, I've never had one in any car I previously owned.

Now it smells like a 15 year old car when I first get in.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #141
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars
Oh what a feeling

Drives: Yaris
I bought a brand new 2011 Yaris two months ago, and it already stinks.
Connoisseur_of_fine_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:00 AM   #142
andro marcello

Drives: Toyota Vios G A/T
Send a message via Yahoo to andro marcello
How to reduce AC smell

My experience if i use the aircond temp set in half, then AC will smell sour.
After turn the temp set in maximum, then smell is gone.
If too cold, better shut off the AC than trying to minggle with temp set knob.

I quess, the cold evap will kill all the mold by temprature and drying effect.

Other tricks is to change the cloth uphostery with original leather. The smells will instanty change like brand new Camry or Business class cabin in A380.

Although the leathering is costly, but the impact is significant.
Here in Indonesia, I buy the hide from local manufacturer that used to export the material to europe and china. Very cheap, only US$4 / square ft (need about 150 square ft). And ask specialized workshop to make the upholstery with labor US$ 200.
Total I spend is only US$ 800 installed to make my yaris better than new.

20130328_174913'.jpg
andro marcello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #143
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Quote:
Originally Posted by andro marcello View Post
My experience if i use the aircond temp set in half, then AC will smell sour.
After turn the temp set in maximum, then smell is gone.
If too cold, better shut off the AC than trying to minggle with temp set knob.

I quess, the cold evap will kill all the mold by temprature and drying effect.

Other tricks is to change the cloth uphostery with original leather. The smells will instanty change like brand new Camry or Business class cabin in A380.

Although the leathering is costly, but the impact is significant.
Here in Indonesia, I buy the hide from local manufacturer that used to export the material to europe and china. Very cheap, only US$4 / square ft (need about 150 square ft). And ask specialized workshop to make the upholstery with labor US$ 200.
Total I spend is only US$ 800 installed to make my yaris better than new.

Attachment 50315
nice. the foul smell is a common problem with new cars nowadays. my friend's toyota fortuner, my other friend's innova and civic, and my yaris sedan all came from the factory with that foul smell. i think the leather will make it go away as well as the thermostat to cold setting, but the first few seconds that air comes out of the vents won't be able to hide it. so embarassing.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #144
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboy View Post
nice. the foul smell is a common problem with new cars nowadays. my friend's toyota fortuner, my other friend's innova and civic, and my yaris sedan all came from the factory with that foul smell. i think the leather will make it go away as well as the thermostat to cold setting, but the first few seconds that air comes out of the vents won't be able to hide it. so embarassing.
I also found Andro's post interesting, as my experience (which seems to be unusual) has been just the opposite........I rarely turn my A/C temp colder than '1/3 into the blue' and I haven't had odor issues.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote