Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
YodaBird

Drives: Gray
Toyota Dealership Mechanic Scratched one Rim

I went to get my check up for oil, didn't think they were going to rotate my tires as well. Got the car back, checked it and the mechanic must have dropped the tire on something sharp cause there is a five inch scratch around the edge of the rim. That brings my scratches to (3) for a year old car :(. One from a shopping cart, another from, I don't know where, and a third now from a mechanic. One of the three can be fixed with a paint pen, that leaves two.

The Mechanic manager looked at it, and said it wasn't from the mechanic but from 'tire burn', they did nothing, I was extremely pissed. Replace the rim would have been nice. How can it be from tire burn, if my tire rubs on a curb, it's not going to touch the rim, arghhhhh, bastards from hell.

I feel like throwing the car in the garbage.
YodaBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Location of trash bin please.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #3
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
I've owned nothing but beaters my entire life and never had but a scratch and my Yaris I've had for 6 months has 4 random scratches, a windshield chip, and somebody rear ended me.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:10 AM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeh View Post
I've owned nothing but beaters my entire life and never had but a scratch and my Yaris I've had for 6 months has 4 random scratches, a windshield chip, and somebody rear ended me.
In general, I think people care more about each other here in Texas than they do in California, but I think the opposite is true when it comes to respect for the condition of other people's cars. Of the dings, scratches, etc I have on my Yaris, virtually none of them that I can recall have happened in California (where my Yaris has spent the most time other than Texas) and, after Texas, I think the worst (re respect for other people's cars) of the other 43 states my Yaris has been in have been Virginia and New York. My Yaris has been to Ontario as well (but not Ottawa) and no dings, etc. while I was there.

If I spent a significant amount of money on a car I could currently protect it by parking 'way out' in parking lots while shopping. I generally see space enough to do that around here, but it would get harder as the influx of people into this area accelerates.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
After the third scratch you stop caring as much for the car. I remember when i freaked out out on every ding or scratch on my brand new car as it was my first new car even after it was several years old it was still new to me. After awile though you stop caring as much and stop looking for the parking spots way in the back with no cars around and just park in the closest parking.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #6
Amdkt7
Returning to Toyota

Drives: 2013 L 3dr MT
I'm making every effort to find safe parking spots, but too often there is no safe place. In the end, it is going to get scratches, dents, and dings, as long as you actually use the car. Hopefully nothing too much. It is hard the first few years as you try to protect it and dumb jerks carelessly show no respect.
Amdkt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Yeah whenever i would park my car at the far end of the parking lot such as the mall when i would go back to my car I would always find another car parked next to mine even though theres 100 empty parking spots. its the same thing like when your at the movies and you have tons of empty seats and some big guy sits right next to you and you have to take the drink out of your arm rest or when your in the bathroom in a row of urinals and someone decides go use the one right next to you. Such is life
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
My Yaris has been to Ontario as well (but not Ottawa) and no dings, etc. while I was there.
This is cause Canadians are very nice people, and we don't ding other peoples cars. Or at least I don't personally.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
This is cause Canadians are very nice people, and we don't ding other peoples cars. Or at least I don't personally.
No dings on my Suzuki Swift either anywhere -- BC to Newfoundland. I even locked my keys in my Swift in Corner Brook, Newfoundland and AAA/contract affiliate came to my rescue and unlocked the car (with no surcharge for being in Canada, IIRC).
Old 05-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
edmscan

However .. I would recommend that people visit us here in Canada after the long weekend .. as the price of gas has gone up about 53 cents a US gallon in the last week or so.

It is just like the sunset, we know the price increase is coming every long weekend.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
jayeh

Quote:
In general, I think people care more about each other here in Texas than they do in California, but I think the opposite is true when it comes to respect for the condition of other people's cars. Of the dings, scratches, etc I have on my Yaris, virtually none of them that I can recall have happened in California (where my Yaris has spent the most time other than Texas) and, after Texas, I think the worst (re respect for other people's cars) of the other 43 states my Yaris has been in have been Virginia and New York. My Yaris has been to Ontario as well (but not Ottawa) and no dings, etc. while I was there.

If I spent a significant amount of money on a car I could currently protect it by parking 'way out' in parking lots while shopping. I generally see space enough to do that around here, but it would get harder as the influx of people into this area accelerates.
The problem is that the people who have trouble parking their giant cars also park 'way out'.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #12
jayeh

Quote:
However .. I would recommend that people visit us here in Canada after the long weekend .. as the price of gas has gone up about 53 cents a US gallon in the last week or so.

It is just like the sunset, we know the price increase is coming every long weekend.
It also means that speed limits are actually enforced in Ontario. 80 actually means 80 on a long weekend instead of the 110 it normally means!

Quote:
This is how to park in Ontario! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMpE8EmOwNE
Old 05-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
recommend that people visit us here in Canada after the long weekend
Victoria Day? Or our (1 week later) Memorial Day? Do people come from Kalispell or Great Falls, MT, etc. to Edmonton for Memorial Day weekend?

Quote:
as the price of gas has gone up about 53 cents a US gallon in the last week or so.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #14
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
The problem is that the people who have trouble parking their giant cars also park 'way out'.
It just occurred to me that (maybe) one of the reasons that people seem to have more respect for other people's vehicles in Texas is that there are so many pickup trucks. Many such drivers are almost religious when it comes to their vehicles. They are also usually adept at maneuvering cleanly around other vehicles and take good care of their vehicles. When I encounter an idiot driver around here, the person is RARELY driving a pickup. There is a 'relationship' between Texans and their trucks that definitely has market impact. My understanding is that that is a significant reason why Toyota decided to manufacture the Tundra in San Antonio.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #15
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
This is how to park in Ontario! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMpE8EmOwNE
Old 05-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #16
jayeh

Quote:
It just occurred to me that (maybe) one of the reasons that people seem to have more respect for other people's vehicles in Texas is that there are so many pickup trucks. Many such drivers are almost religious when it comes to their vehicles. They are also usually adept at maneuvering cleanly around other vehicles and take good care of their vehicles. When I encounter an idiot driver around here, the person is RARELY driving a pickup. There is a 'relationship' between Texans and their trucks that definitely has market impact. My understanding is that that is a significant reason why Toyota decided to manufacture the Tundra in San Antonio.
Here the pickup drivers are usually the biggest d-bags on the road.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #17
edmscan

Quote:
I was going to say ... I hate pickup truck drivers here. They mostly drive like ******** (insert your own word, mine is too bad for this forum).

Re the tourists here in Edmonton. I actually rarely see any US tagged vehicles and if I do it is cause they are at West Edmonton Mall or they are working here and are off to Fort McMurray.
Old 05-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
When I think about d-bag pickup drivers, California comes to mind, and sans dogs. Sane pickup drivers in California (who I've encountered) seem to usually have dogs.