Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-28-2010, 02:32 AM   #1
Yoshi Yaris

Drives: 2010 YR Yaris 5dr Auto
Loud ping when selecting reverse

I have a Feb 2010 1.3 5dr Yaris YR Auto with 1,500 on the clock. At 1,000km service I advised dealer of a loud, intermittent ping when placing into reverse (it sounds like it's coming from somewhere in line with the wheels), particularly when cold and following being parked overnight (it's parked on flat and almost sounds like some sort of metal pin disconnecting). They adjusted the brakes, however, still have the problem and seems to be happening more frequently. Have contacted the dealer and going back to see if they can determine the problem.

Any advice. They don't seem to be aware of any existing problem.
Yoshi Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:33 AM   #2
aucorium
AKA Samurai Racer

Drives: Yaris 2006
Send a message via MSN to aucorium
maybe the pads are pushing to tight on the disc or the drums ?
aucorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:57 AM   #3
Yoshi Yaris

Had the breaks all checked and that seems to be OK. It sounds more like a metal spring of some kind .... or like something that has a metal pin in it if you pull the pin out quickly it makes a ping sound.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #4
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
My auto did that while new. It went from the loud "ping" you describe to a click and now is quiet. Things just have to break in a little and you'll be fine. I don't blame you for being concerned about it-it was disheartening for me as well. I'm at 9300 now and so far the trans has been flawless other than the noise you describe when shifting to and from reverse.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
Yoshi Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
My auto did that while new. It went from the loud "ping" you describe to a click and now is quiet. Things just have to break in a little and you'll be fine. I don't blame you for being concerned about it-it was disheartening for me as well. I'm at 9300 now and so far the trans has been flawless other than the noise you describe when shifting to and from reverse.

R2
Fingers crossed that's what it is. Certainly disheartening, but apart from this little issue it's a fantastic little car. Especially when I get about 600km to a full tank and I only do city driving.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #6
Yoshi Yaris

Dropped off Yoshi to the dealer (have taken it in three time but the noise has been intermittent and each time I take it in .... no noise). Left it overnight as noise mainly happens when the car is cold and they finally heard it this morning. Their first diagnosis is that it's something to do with the brakes so they've re-coded the computer. They're going to let it cool down and then see if that's fixed the problem. Will keep you posted and let you know what the final diagnosis and 'cure' is.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
I wonder if "recode the computer" means "let it sit overnight so you think we did something and hope you go away" in austrailia too.

Its your parking pin. Pull the parking brake harder and/or park on level surfaces. Also, when parking, put the car in N, pull parking brake, release brake pedal, put in P - this puts all the weight on the brakes, not your parking pin.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:56 AM   #8
Yoshi Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr View Post
I wonder if "recode the computer" means "let it sit overnight so you think we did something and hope you go away" in austrailia too.

Its your parking pin. Pull the parking brake harder and/or park on level surfaces. Also, when parking, put the car in N, pull parking brake, release brake pedal, put in P - this puts all the weight on the brakes, not your parking pin.
I did question how "recoding" could fix a metallic pinging noise!!!!! I only park on flat, both at work and at home and I've tried some of the variations you mentioned i.e. try to pull parking brake as far as possible, go to D then N then R, but still makes the noise. I did mention to them when I rang up to book it in and when dropping it off that I believed it to be an issue with the parking pin mechanism. Lets see what they come back with. I'll be amazed if it's something to do with the computer. And I don't want it back until it's fixed!!!!!
Old 05-19-2010, 06:05 AM   #9
nazier
black shark

Drives: black toyota yaris t3 sprit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi Yaris View Post
I did question how "recoding" could fix a metallic pinging noise!!!!! I only park on flat, both at work and at home and I've tried some of the variations you mentioned i.e. try to pull parking brake as far as possible, go to D then N then R, but still makes the noise. I did mention to them when I rang up to book it in and when dropping it off that I believed it to be an issue with the parking pin mechanism. Lets see what they come back with. I'll be amazed if it's something to do with the computer. And I don't want it back until it's fixed!!!!!
here is something they could try, they need to find out if your car was build on friday or monday, then you got problems. they need to check the gearbox they sound only happens when u selecting gears, that got nothing to do with the breaks, if it did then u would hear the noise when applying breaks, do u get a noise when applying breaks, also at your 1000km service, that must cheak all bolts and nuts if they came loose, they must change oil and oil filter, because the iron fillings from the rings and pistons, they must adjust your brakes, check all fuilds in case there is a leak, and fuel lines,

did you log a call with toyota customer care in your area, because they would send out a toyota engineer to help the dealer find the problem and help them sort it out as they cant fix it,

here is something u can also do check if there is enough gearbox oil, also they must check engine mounts, as our cars are front wheel drive and we have no propshaft to turn the rear wheels

let me know what happens,
Old 05-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #10
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Yoshi,

My theory was always that the bearings on the axleshafts were tight when new so when switching from forward to reverse (or vice versa) they would "load up" and release suddenly, creating the noise. Therefore your observation the noise occurs inline with the wheels would be spot on. Why they are investigating the brakes and what not is beyond me. The important thing is you've brought it to there attention. You're under warranty so I'd drive it a few k mi and see if it doesn't go away. Judging by the related posts here, I'd say its fairly common.

I understand your concern-I think you'll be okay!

PS-that sound is how my Yaris got its name!

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

Old 05-20-2010, 10:17 PM   #11
Yoshi Yaris

Thanks to all for the posts. Picked up Yoshi two days ago and told that re-coding done, brakes removed and checked, park pin mechanism checked and some general tightening of firewall materials and exhaust brackets. Although they did hear the noise it seems to be a bit of a mystery as to what's causing it .... particularly as it's intermittent. The car needs to be left sitting for a couple of hours before they can get it to make the noise again. Makes diagnosing the problem a pain in the .....!!

No noise yesterday but, low and behold, it's back this morning. So, back to the drawing board for Toyota.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:22 PM   #12
Yoshi Yaris

Back to Toyota today, with the noise back in full swing every morning. Fortunately they have arranged a courtesy car for me so they can keep Yoshi for as long as it takes to resolve. Thanks R2D2 for the suggestion re bearings, which I'll mention to them this afternoon.

Poor Yoshi. I'm sure it's not anything too major, but it's a brand new car and shouldn't be making the noise.

Will keep you posted.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:45 AM   #13
Yoshi Yaris

Yoshi's coming home today and she's all fixed.

So what was wrong? Toyota were able to get the noise to consistently occur by reversing then braking hard. Once they changed gear to drive they would hear the noise. Same thing would happen if in drive, go forward and then break hard. They had a couple of tech's on either side while doing this and were able to ascertain that the noise was coming from the right hand front wheel somewhere. They stripped down the right hand front and have just called me with the outcome. Yoshi is now fixed and no noise at all after they replaced the drive shaft to the front right hand side with a new one. Toyota Service explained that the female / male spline assembly wasn't machined properly (which would have occurred in the factory) and hence the two splines were "rattling" against each other when the drive shaft was changing direction.

Toyota said it's been a bit of a "curly" one to solve. Fortunately, I'm a female who spent her youth watching dad fix cars and I learnt enough to know that what I was hearing wasn't normal. Thanks Dad :)
Old 06-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #14
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Very cool-glad it's resolved. Hopefully you won't have anymore issues.

R2
-The Fitful One