Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-12-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
yaris1F8

Drives: Yaris 1F8
Torqing a re tapped screw..

I had to re tap a screw around my cowl cover it was all rusted and the head just fell off.. so i had to drill and re tap.. Put in a new screw, mind you its not on the engine thank god.. But i noticed that when I torqued it, its like it wasnt torqing.. maybe im a little scared to tighten it.. I put some tapping oil in there too. ;)
yaris1F8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
esse10

Drives: 2009 yaris 2 door
torque

the lube (tapping oil) makes it torque at different value or over tightened. I would think that anything that's not on the engine and is small hardware should just be skill of the craft hand tight kinda way, but to each his own.
esse10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Are you talking about the #10 bolts that hold down the cowl where the wiper motor and regulator go?

It depends how you drilled out the screw to begin with. If you used a reverse drill bit and was able to pull the bolt out with threads still there. Retaping just to clean out the threads, then I think it should be fine.

But if you drilled out the bolt thru using a small drill bit. trying to get the remaining threads out is a pain. Its possible that you may have destroyed some of the remaining threads and possible if you are using the same size tap that you may crossthreaded it and just made it weakier.

I would try to drill out the hold a little bit bigger and retap and use a #12 head. I don't know the Diameter of the tap but it should be a 1.25 thread type.

That's what I would do..
Old 08-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
derrick, this:

Quote:
it was all rusted and the head just fell off.. so i had to drill and re tap..
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
yaris1F8

Drives: Yaris 1F8
Its the screw closest to the top plate.. The cowl cover was making a poping noise and i thought it was something underneath.. got the car checked out a couple of times by different mechanics, found nothing wrong.. Finally i found out it was the cowl cover.. i saw it loose, and so i tightened the screw using a 10 mm short wrench.. i applied very little torque just with one finger and the screw just snapped. Ohhh so i said 'HO NO'... well i dismantled everything and got to work.. I drilled and retapped, i had no choice cuz the screw just didn't want to come out.. I retapped and put back in there a 10mm, a screw i had on my motorcycle.. Its all good.. and everything is solid now.. but you would think the car has very low millage at 27000 kms.. screws shouldn't be breaking off. If ever it gets loose again (I doubt it).. ill make the hole bigger and put in a 12mm.. I already have the screw. :)
yaris1F8 is offline   Reply With Quote