Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
dragoonmc

Drives: 07 hatchback
07 LB headlamp question

So I recently noticed that my passenger side headlamp is considerably more unfocused than my drivers side. Is this normal? or do you think it has something to do with my HID kit that was in the car when I got it
Old 08-22-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
DevilzMafia

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
I also have the same problem, but I'm not sure if its normal though.
DevilzMafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
Mine too. HID is part of it, but it's also the aero design. Projectors would fix it.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
dragoonmc

Drives: 07 hatchback
What does aero design have to do with the pattern of the light coming out of the lamps?

Do both of you have aftermarket HID kit?
Old 08-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #5
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Maybe it is due to headlight specifications? I'm not sure, but if everyone else is experiencing the same issue, then i would be inclined to think so.

The American system historically permitted a greater overall amount of light within the low beam, since the entire reflector and lens area is used, but at the same time, the American system has traditionally offered much less control over upward light that causes glare, and for that reason has been largely rejected outside the US.
In addition, the American system makes it difficult to create markedly different low and high beam light distributions. The high beam is usually a rough copy of the low beam, shifted slightly upward and leftward. The European system traditionally produced low beams containing less overall light, because only 60% of the reflector's surface area is used to create the low beam. However, low beam focus and glare control are easier to achieve. In addition, the lower 40% of the reflector and lens are reserved for high beam formation, which facilitates the optimisation of both low and high beams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headlamp

now if it's about HID and the focus, then i would say it's normal. HIDs have light all through the length of the bulb while H4 bulbs (our bulbs) have only the filament/light on the front portion of the bulb.

HTH
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote