Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
silentassassin

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris
New member with questions

Hi i'm new to this forum, (forgive me if im posting this in the wrong section but i didn't see a new member area). I just got a 2012 Toyota Yaris sedan, i'm very happy with it so far, the only thing i'm not fond of is the 106hp (its pretty slow) but its not like i'm racing. I have a few questions #1. at the dealership they only gave me a second key, not a key fob (they said they didn't have one), so can i get another key fob and program it myself? is this car even capable of having remote entry? #2 Is their any modifications i should make to the car that you would recommend? #3 And are the new Toyota engines as reliable as the older ones? such as should the 2012 Toyota Yaris last me 250,000k miles as long as i do my part? I'm new to Toyota cars so forgive me for not knowing much. Thank you so much for all your help.
silentassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 01:48 AM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentassassin View Post
Hi i'm new to this forum, (forgive me if im posting this in the wrong section but i didn't see a new member area). I just got a 2012 Toyota Yaris sedan, i'm very happy with it so far, the only thing i'm not fond of is the 106hp (its pretty slow) but its not like i'm racing. I have a few questions #1. at the dealership they only gave me a second key, not a key fob (they said they didn't have one), so can i get another key fob and program it myself? is this car even capable of having remote entry? #2 Is their any modifications i should make to the car that you would recommend? #3 And are the new Toyota engines as reliable as the older ones? such as should the 2012 Toyota Yaris last me 250,000k miles as long as i do my part? I'm new to Toyota cars so forgive me for not knowing much. Thank you so much for all your help.
Welcome! Any Yaris sold new in the U.S. from the 2007 model year through 2014 model year has the same 1.5 liter engine your Yaris has. I have over 250,000 miles on my original engine (2007 Yaris) and at least 3 other U.S. members I can think of off the of off the top of my head (and I'm sure there are more) have over 250k on their original engine --- trini_per4mance in Florida has over has over 500,000 miles on his original engine, yaris9876 in Florida has over 388,000 miles on his original engine, and contraband831 in California has over 250,000 miles on his original engine.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
bairjo

Quote:
A quick easy mod and well worth the effort...rear sway bar. If you are handy with a wrench it will take 1/2 hour.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:41 AM   #4
bebeelo
ThatYarisGuy

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2012 SE
go for a Rotrex Supercharger or Turbo for a mod that i'd recommend.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I chuckle when people say they can't drive a slow car fast. I do it all the time, and have left many a more powerful car in my wake through corners.

It's a matter of learning to drive, any idiot can buy a large V8 engined car and stomp on the gas (there are plenty of Corvette owners out there to prove that theory), but once you set up your Yaris correctly and put some effort into learning how to drive it properly, you will find that it can be a thoroughly performing car on real roads (not talking NASCAR where all they ever do is turn left...)
Old 10-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #6
yarisgeo13
yarisgeo13

Drives: gloss black 5 door
Send a message via Yahoo to yarisgeo13
Welcome silentassassin and I agree about break out speed but a lot of what I've seen and heard is the car is bought for gas mileage and reliability. I wish I had little more power too! Mine a 2013 4 door lift back. Right now my car is working out because of a lot of rain down here. It's nice getting off from work and going to a vehicle I know I can be dry going home. On the weekends, if I want to go out, I don't have to put on a bunch of motorcycle gear.
yarisgeo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
silentassassin

Thank you for all your answers, @madmax i know i don't expect it to go fast, maybe just a little bit more pick up speed that's all. One last thing about the original key, do i have to go to a Toyota dealership to get an original key? and can i buy another key fob? and is this car capable of keyless entry? Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
If you got an auto, that would explain the car feeling slow.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Thank you for all your answers, @madmax i know i don't expect it to go fast, maybe just a little bit more pick up speed that's all. One last thing about the original key, do i have to go to a Toyota dealership to get an original key? and can i buy another key fob? and is this car capable of keyless entry? Thanks again.
You can purchase the key anywhere, but the Toyota Techstream tool will be required to program the ECM for the new key, so this typically means a visit to the dealership.

Upgrading to OEM keyless entry would cost $500+, so the best option is to install an aftermarket keyless entry system.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
If you got an auto, that would explain the car feeling slow.
Maybe if he came from a manual it may "feel" slow, but I drive an auto and it's not slow...
Old 10-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
silentassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Maybe if he came from a manual it may "feel" slow, but I drive an auto and it's not slow...
Actually i came from a automatic (a 2000 saturn sl2, and that saturn had more acceleration than my 2012 Toyota Yaris sedan not much but a little.) If you can get your car to go fast more power to you, but maybe its because i just got the car and i got to learn how to drive it right. It takes about a second to start moving once i hit the gas at a stop sign or a red light, i find it a little weird but i read that's normal so i guess its ok.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #12
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Yeah, that's drive by wire for ya
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
silentassassin

Also their are some minor scratches on the car, their not deep just light scratches that you can only see when the sunlight is hitting the car. Does anyone recommend a good waxing product, or any other product that would help get rid those light scratches?
Old 10-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #14
silentassassin

I'm also looking for a good/cheap gps system to put into my car. I have an android phone now, but when i use the gps it sucks up alot of battery, plus i think the stand alone gps's are more accurate. thanks.