Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-12-2009, 04:27 AM   #1
Jansen

Drives: Yaris Sedan
TRD High Flow Oil Filters

I'm trying to figure out if TRD filters are worth it. I found two, one seems to have a better flow rate but I can't find figures. Flow rate figures would be nice, if someone could get them.

TRD High Flow Oil Filters, $12
PTR14-00000-05

TRD High Performance Oil Filter, 4 Cyl $10
PTR43-33010, 98% at 20 Microns

Wix/Napa Gold 51394, $5
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 19

Amsoil EAO09-EA, $15
98.7 percent at 15 microns

Going to get Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 after the break-in period, so trying to get a high flow, high efficiency filter.
Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
CB900F2

Drives: 08 Sedan
Jansen.... I am also in the Toronto area.. Where you able to find a local supplier for the TRD oil filters??

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jansen View Post
I'm trying to figure out if TRD filters are worth it. I found two, one seems to have a better flow rate but I can't find figures. Flow rate figures would be nice, if someone could get them.

TRD High Flow Oil Filters, $12
PTR14-00000-05

TRD High Performance Oil Filter, 4 Cyl $10
PTR43-33010, 98% at 20 Microns

Wix/Napa Gold 51394, $5
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 19

Amsoil EAO09-EA, $15
98.7 percent at 15 microns

Going to get Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 after the break-in period, so trying to get a high flow, high efficiency filter.
CB900F2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:19 AM   #3
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
TRD is a rebadged K/N oil filter......

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:21 AM   #4
2006fronty

Drives: 2010 Mazda3 iTouring
Sparks Toyota lists 2 different TRD filters for the Yaris, one has an actual picture (white can like K&N) the other one doesn't have a picture. It's kind of weird that they have 2 TRD filters, maybe one's better who knows???
Old 01-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
A Napa Gold/Wix filter for $5...if you're doing 5K OCI with the Pennzoil Platinum, like I'm doing, no need to spend twice the money. The WIX filter is a very good, well constructed filter. Only difference at all with the WIX filter and the Wix built AMSOIL Ea filter is the media, because the AMSOIL Ea is a 25K/1 year OCI filter.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #6
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
if you're not over-revving your yaris constantly (which means you're revving to 6500 for long periods of time) why would you need a high flow oil filter?

what's more important is the dirt-catching ability of the filter.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
i dont get high flow oil filter.... isnt it high flow less dirt thats being filtered..dont get it.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
i dont get high flow oil filter.... isnt it high flow less dirt thats being filtered..dont get it.
not necessarily. a "larger" filter is a higher flow filter because it's less restrictive.. with the same dirt holding properties..

but the lower the restriction the lower overall oil pressure you'll see.. by 1-2 psi.. not a big deal honestly, especially when you're running heavier oil in a forced induction application
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #9
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
not necessarily. a "larger" filter is a higher flow filter because it's less restrictive.. with the same dirt holding properties..

but the lower the restriction the lower overall oil pressure you'll see.. by 1-2 psi.. not a big deal honestly, especially when you're running heavier oil in a forced induction application
Just a couple thoughts:
If the oil pump doesnt have an internal bypass relief, then the pump will force the filter to pass whatever it can pump - which means if the filter media is overwhelmed, the pressure will unseat the bypass valve in the filtercan, and NOW you got plenty of flow (though unfiltered). Hey, I suppose it doesn't have to be constantly filtered. Understand, on most cold starts under 20 deg F the filter is not working at all - its just bypassing until the oil warms up. The "gelled" oil just wont flow through the media. - the bro

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 01-13-2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: two thumbs typist
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:35 PM   #10
canadian_princess

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan 'S'
Send a message via Yahoo to canadian_princess
does anyone have instructions for installation of fog lights on the 4 door yaris?
Old 01-14-2009, 02:24 AM   #11
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian_princess View Post
does anyone have instructions for installation of fog lights on the 4 door yaris?
LOL way to hijack a thread.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:52 AM   #12
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian_princess View Post
WTF random High flow filters sound like a joke IMHO. Just get a mobil 1 and run full synthetic.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #13
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXDEMON View Post
WTF random High flow filters sound like a joke IMHO. Just get a mobil 1 and run full synthetic.
Why? Are they the best for the Yaris? How can you tell? What is "full synthetic"?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #14
TheSilkySmooth

Speaking of M1 filters, whom is the supplier? Still Champion labs or is it Hastings or wix. I heard it can vary by application. I's the M1 more restrictive due to a less porous "paper"?
Old 01-14-2009, 01:24 PM   #15
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Speaking of M1 filters, whom is the supplier? Still Champion labs or is it Hastings or wix. I heard it can vary by application. I's the M1 more restrictive due to a less porous "paper"?
it's funny that people assume that because Mobil is printed on the box that Mobil must make the filter ;)

i don't understand why people don't just stick to a "toyota" filter. they're inexpensive, of good quality (not just paper inside) and look great on the car ;)
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:50 PM   #16
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
+1 on that . Been using TOYO filters for years without an incident . Had good luck with GM oil filters as well . Used them and TOYO filters for '03 MATRIX , '99 PRIZM ( Corolla ) , 2000 PRIZM , and '99 Corolla . They're the same as used for the YARIS , 1st Gen XB , etc..
gid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #17
mimelio

Drives: NOTHING
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post

Mobil 1 filters are made by Champion Labs and they are very similar to Pure One Premium Filter... They have more restriction due to a fiber (fiberglass) enhanced media... The top tier Wix filters also have a fiber (fiberglass) enhanced media. interesting how the argument can go on about what filter is better. One filter that I would never use is the Fram. There is so much written about how inferior they are due to cost cutting.

Last edited by mimelio; 05-26-2009 at 12:00 AM.
mimelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #18
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Go for the Wix or the Toyo if you are changing your oil at 5K

The Amsoil filter is a great option but you need to use it with their oils for extended change intervals in order to see the financial benefit from it.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote