Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-11-2009, 11:44 PM   #37
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyachris84 View Post
keep us updated... i just ordered some clear fog lights from garm.

Hope it isn't hard to install

If you do have problems , Pm , or ask , only to happy to help out.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:48 PM   #38
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Drives: 2 2007 Yaris 3 door liftback
I got the fog lamps to work. I had to follow directions, cut the yellow wire in the steering column, and use connectors to make a connection. At least one of the fog lamps bulbs lit, (I did not feel like checking the other, too tired), and the dash light for fog lamps on lit up. But I do have a problem. The switch to the fog lamps remains lit even if the key is out of the switch to the ignition. Makes me nervous.

Does any one have a idea of how long will it take for that light in the switch to drain my battery so much that I will not be able to start my Yaris?

Since I do not wish to find out the hard way what impact that light in the switch has on my battery, I unplugged the switch.
ellenbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:24 PM   #39
1NZYaris1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenbetty View Post
I got the fog lamps to work. I had to follow directions, cut the yellow wire in the steering column, and use connectors to make a connection. At least one of the fog lamps bulbs lit, (I did not feel like checking the other, too tired), and the dash light for fog lamps on lit up. But I do have a problem. The switch to the fog lamps remains lit even if the key is out of the switch to the ignition. Makes me nervous.

Does any one have a idea of how long will it take for that light in the switch to drain my battery so much that I will not be able to start my Yaris?

Since I do not wish to find out the hard way what impact that light in the switch has on my battery, I unplugged the switch.
i think the simple answer is to swap the 2 wires around The Red and Yellow wire on your switch .
does your switch stay lite up even if it is turned off and park lights off .
Old 09-13-2009, 07:31 PM   #40
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

A long time is too vage. My Mom has problems with her Subrau starting if the Subrau is not started at least one a week and driven at least for 1/2 hour.

Since I have 2 Yarises, not driving both for a week or one for 2 weeks is something that some times occures. Is 2 weeks too long a time between starts?

Maybe I should rephase my question. Does any one know which wire to the fog lamp switch needs to be cut to kill that light? Will I need to install a second switch if I cut the wire to the light in the fog lamp switch?
Old 09-13-2009, 07:37 PM   #41
1NZYaris1

Quote:
A long time is too vage. My Mom has problems with her Subrau starting if the Subrau is not started at least one a week and driven at least for 1/2 hour.

Since I have 2 Yarises, not driving both for a week or one for 2 weeks is something that some times occures. Is 2 weeks too long a time between starts?

Maybe I should rephase my question. Does any one know which wire to the fog lamp switch needs to be cut to kill that light? Will I need to install a second switch if I cut the wire to the light in the fog lamp switch?
As above swap the 2 wires around
Old 09-13-2009, 07:37 PM   #42
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
i think the simple answer is to swap the 2 wires around The Red and Yellow wire on your switch .
does your switch stay lite up even if it is turned off and park lights off .
The switch stays lit even when the key is removed and the head lights and the running lights are off.

I guess what you English (Sorry you folks down under) call park lights us Americans call running lights.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:45 PM   #43
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

I am not certain which red and yellow wires you are talking about. Are you taking about switching two wires on the wiring harness?

Or are you talking about switching the wires connected to the cut yellow wire in the steering column?
Old 09-13-2009, 08:03 PM   #44
1NZYaris1

Quote:
I am not certain which red and yellow wires you are talking about. Are you taking about switching two wires on the wiring harness?

Or are you talking about switching the wires connected to the cut yellow wire in the steering column?
Yes switch the too wires that you put to the cut one .
Old 09-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #45
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

I do not understand why flipping those wires would turn off the light in the switch. All that does is reverse the flow of electrons through the switch. There is a circuit board behind the switch. Are you saying that that circuit board has a relay that is confused because of the direction the DC electric current is flowing?

I will give flipping the wires a try.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #46
1NZYaris1

Yes it will turn the LED off , if the switch is off .
Old 09-13-2009, 10:07 PM   #47
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Even so, you don't want that switch wired straight to your battery.
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:52 AM   #48
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

Who said any thing about wiring that switch directly to the battery? I know what happens when you attach a 20 gage wire to the negative post of the battery and ground it. The wire vaporizes. I know that the cable coming from negative post of the battery is as thick as my small finger and is split into a number of wires to power the electrical system for the entire car with fuses to regulate how much power goes to each wire.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #49
RUFFSTUFF
Banned

Drives: 2009 TOYOTA YARIS SEDAN
Quote:
Who said any thing about wiring that switch directly to the battery? I know what happens when you attach a 20 gage wire to the negative post of the battery and ground it. The wire vaporizes. I know that the cable coming from negative post of the battery is as thick as my small finger and is split into a number of wires to power the electrical system for the entire car with fuses to regulate how much power goes to each wire.

Well... let's see... If it lights up when the car is off then the power to light it comes from... (dramatic drum roll) the battery. The battery is the only source of electrical power in your car when it is not running, but I'm sure you know that. I didn't say anything about shorting out the battery with a wire. Chill out. BTW, fuses (and certainly auto fuses) don't regulate anything. They are just a cheap form of overcurrent protection.

I do like your reference to electron flow vs. hole flow though...
RUFFSTUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:02 PM   #50
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

O, is that what you meant. Of course there are hot wires even with the ignition off. Something has to power the clock, and power the emergency flashers, when the ignition switch is off.

I guess I did over state the function of auto fuses. Thickness of wires, a number of wires, a number of relays, a number of switches, a number of resistors, combined with a number of fuses attached to the wires, does divide the electrical flow and provide enough resistance to reduce power level coming from the negative terminal to a safe level for each wire.

I figure if all the power available in the battery have just 2 wires going to a single switch and 2 relays to hold back the current to those 2 fog lamp bulbs and 2 dash lights, those 2 wires would have to be a lot thicker than 18 gage to avoid being melted when I turn on the fog lamps.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #51
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

I tried flipping the red yellow wires connected to the switch. The only change is that the light in the switch now is brighter when the fog lamps are off and the ignition switch is on.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:45 PM   #52
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

I redid the first set. Even with the ignition off the fog lamps in the first set will not turn off.

Any ideas?
Old 09-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #53
1NZYaris1

Put it back the way it was ,the first time .
Old 09-15-2009, 06:44 PM   #54
ellenbetty
ellenbetty

You may have forgotten I own 2 Yarises. The first Yaris has the problem of fog lamps always on. The second Yaris has the problem with on off switch always lit.