Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-18-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Question 1st bar loss for 5 door hatchback ...

we've noticed there are less miles when losing the 1st bar with the '09 5 door auto than the '08 sedan with automatic . Has anyone else noticed this ? Wonder if the gas tank of the hatchback is positioned different than that of the sedan . The 5 door doesn't seem to glide or have as good rolling resistance as the sedan . Encounter this when coasting to a stop or when gliding done a hill . Feels like something is holding the 5 door back . Reason .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:27 AM   #2
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
You should record your gas fill up and mileage to see what kind of mileage you're actually getting. I'm sure the shape of the tank has something to do with what's happening, but your true gas mileage will tell you if something is really different.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:10 AM   #3
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

If it doesn't coast as well, check tire pressure and wheel alignment.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
You should record your gas fill up and mileage to see what kind of mileage you're actually getting. I'm sure the shape of the tank has something to do with what's happening, but your true gas mileage will tell you if something is really different.
keep mileage for both .
Old 12-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
If it doesn't coast as well, check tire pressure and wheel alignment.
check pressure every week or two . Keep tires for both at about 35 p.s.i.. Would hope alignment be good since '09 5 door has less than 9,000 miles .
Old 12-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #6
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
keep mileage for both .
So overall, are they about the same MPG with each fill up?

Or is there a difference too?

Is it the same person driving both vehicles on a consistent basis?

Various factors involved. Driving style being a large one.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
Sidicas

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
My guess: Having a gas efficient car in the car dealership lot is harder to emphasize when it doesn't always have a full tank. So by making the first bar indicate a larger quantity of fuel than the other bars, it's easier for the dealership to keep the car driving around all day long on test drives while appearing to always have a full tank..

Just my guess.
Sidicas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidicas View Post
My guess: Having a gas efficient car in the car dealership lot is harder to emphasize when it doesn't always have a full tank. So by making the first bar indicate a larger quantity of fuel than the other bars, it's easier for the dealership to keep the car driving around all day long on test drives while appearing to always have a full tank..

Just my guess.
no that is not how it works.

-----

the float is pressed up to the top on a full tank. it is drowned in gas. and more gas needs to be
consumed before the float falls. once the float drops, then the gauge is very accurate. 1/2 tank on gauge = 1/2 tank really left.

the first bar takes a long time to drop because of 'float drowning'

in-tank radar or sonic detectors (used to check fluid levels in all sorts of industrial tanks, a lot
like bumper backup detectors)
would be more extremely accurate but pricey. hence, the old school float is still used today.

in-tank radar is used in some breweries and refineries to detect levels. also used in
fuel delivery systems. I modified a collision detector to tell me how much water I have in the
boiler on my 4-4-0
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
If it helps at all, I've noticed that the auto doesn't coast well either. The alignment and pressures are fine.

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #10
Hershey

we've also noticed that the overdrive for the '09 automatic doesn't come on as quick as the '08 auto sedan after climbing a hill in the 3rd gear . Wonder if the computer for tranny is not calibrated properly in the '09 .
Old 01-14-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
It's been said that the sedan is slightly more aerodynamically efficient than the Hatch. But like HILTON said, check for mechanical differences.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
we've also noticed that the overdrive for the '09 automatic doesn't come on as quick as the '08 auto sedan after climbing a hill in the 3rd gear . Wonder if the computer for tranny is not calibrated properly in the '09 .
Its not a calibration issue, its a learning ECU issue. You usually don't gas it hard in 3rd going up hills, so your 08 already knows just to go down to O/D. The 09 still needs some time to learn your driving habits.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #13
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Could be just the time of year as cold weather and winter gas formulations and short runs and winter tires arent the best time to expect your best fuel economy..In my 08 sedan in summer highway driving i can get 130kms before the first bar disappears,in winter in city traffic its usually gone around 90kms..
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote