Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-13-2006, 03:45 PM   #1
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
poll concerning gas prices

1. At what price of gas would you start to drive less.

2. At what price of gas would it start interferring with your life style.

3. At what price of gas do you think SUV drivers will start selling their gas hogs in mass.

Go ahead and ask other questions. I'm just interested in knowing what the price of gas has to do with folks lives and lifestyles.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 06:49 PM   #2
pennystocks

Drives: 07 Civic Si Coupe(Black Pearl)
1. Never

2. I drive like 500 miles a week so, my reason for the yaris :) (from 16 mpg to 33ish, my car is almost free from the money i save on gas)

3. Probaly never, either they'll buy a rav4 or a escape. Or the People that buy h2's and escalade's for like $60k can afford the gas. Seriously i think if gas were 10$ a gallon you would still see them on the road.

Also keep in mind E85 is starting to become popular. If you'v never heard of it, its made up from 85% corn oil which is made in the US. Most new fords and gms can use it. You get like 10-20% worse milage but, in theory, its cheaper, but now the price is just a bit lower than normal gas for some reason.
pennystocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
NickNickNick

Drives: 06 Silver Yaris 3-door Manual
1. Prices would have to be well over 5$/L.

2. Never.

3. Never. There will soon be technology for SUVs, etc. that will be alternatively fuelled, and the SUV will be even more popular.
NickNickNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:00 PM   #4
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
1. I drive so little it won't happen.

2. Never.

3. It already has. If it hits $5 US a gallon people will trade in their SUV's in droves.

BTW, e85, etc, gets 10-20% less gas mileage but usually only costs 5% or so less. That doesn't sound like a good trade off to me.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:35 AM   #5
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
1. Probably never, I love to drive, and it's one of the few things I am good at.

2. At any price higher than 10 years ago when I start driving has already interferring my life style. I felt as if I am driving more like an old person. (no no, not to hold up traffic, but accelate really slowly. Try keep under 2500rpm~3000rpm)

3. Never, those Stupid Useless Vechicle drivers never learn and I am pretty positive they never will. I would say there are people who is NEEDED a SUV. But those are the one who you sees in the commericals. Live on the mountain, have to climb over 10,000ft. to get home. Therefore, unless you live on the Rockies, those city SUV drivers will never gave in.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:32 AM   #6
Uglyboyed

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan S Flint Mica
Send a message via AIM to Uglyboyed Send a message via Yahoo to Uglyboyed
Quote:
Originally Posted by foober

3. At what price of gas do you think SUV drivers will start selling their gas hogs in mass.

Go ahead and ask other questions. I'm just interested in knowing what the price of gas has to do with folks lives and lifestyles.
1. Right now here in florida gas is about $3 a gallon so im driving less as it is.
2. if gas goes to maybe $3.50 to $4 buck. im gonna have to start using the train or bus once or twice a week. which would kida change my lifestyle.
3. Ova here they already started seeling them for smaller, more gas effecient car (yaris)
Uglyboyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 06:55 PM   #7
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Quote:
When it reaches CAD $3.00 per litre, then I would seriously cut back on driving. That's roughly $120 per tank!

Unless my income can follow the proportionate increase in pump prices, then I would cut back on driving if it hit $3.00 per litre.

Quote:
Again, I would say $3.00
Currently, pump prices hover at around $1.20 per litre for regular unleaded 87 octane in Vancouver/Lower Mainland British Columbia (Canada).

It's not hitting me that hard because my previous cars have been very fuel efficient, but if it starts getting up to $2.00 per litre and higher, I'd have to cut back on other things.

Quote:
It depends on the SUV driver/owner.
Like in many places, there are affluent SUV owners who are not sensitive to gas prices.

Some of these owners are well off by legitimate means, while some are earning coin by illegitimate means.

It's the latter that won't be so sensitive to gas prices; they have the cash and are not afraid to spend it.
bigsky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:27 PM   #8
boxerboy

Drives: WRX ,Tacoma and Yaris
when gas gets high enough that people start using less, then the price will go down. I'm getting a yaris.
boxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:44 PM   #9
w1ngzer0

Drives: Subaru Impreza
Quote:

1.)If i wasn't making car payment it would be $15-$20 a gallon. But by then the world would be broke.

2.)it wouldn't interfer with my life style, i would just start riding a motorcycle. Just wish there was gear i could put over my clothes and not have to change clothes all the time.

3.)people in big SUV's don't care about gas prices becuase the medium income in america is 60K.
w1ngzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:20 AM   #10
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
60k is almost nothing. Can't raise a family and send kids to college on that type of income anymore.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:32 AM   #11
Buckethead

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I'd drive no matter what. Until the U.S. can get a better subway transit system in order. The local bus, transportation in my city sucks! No more of that, though!
Luckily we, on this board, have Yaris's! We laugh, and point at the Suv people!
Sorry, don't wanna rub that one in, because they're might Suv owners here.
Buckethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:12 AM   #12
Chaad32

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:

1. I made this decision at $3.00 ( went from a pickup getting 12 to the Yaris)

2. It would have to be pretty hi. I love to drive. But to interfere with my lifestyle and using the Yaris mpg I would have to say 5-6 USD a gal.

3. $4.50....the average big V8 SUV gets in reality in moderate traffic about 13-15 mpg (trust me I have had a couple) and have an average of 30 gal tanks, so at that rate they pay about $135 for 400 or so miles versus the commuter beaters paying $45 to fill up at $4.50 a gal and getting slightly more miles. I chose to make the switch early before SUV's arn't worth anything as trades.
Floor mats, Weathertech vent visors
Chaad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:30 AM   #13
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
at 65mpg on the bike if fuel costs get to high I'll just ride the bike more.
But as already said I went from a truck to the YAris so the fuel savings pay for the car....

We got the Yaris because we like to travel a lot and it was costing us $120-$150 in fuel per weekend with out truck. That was making things really tight with out $$$ and it got so bad we had to stop traveling as much as we liked.
Where i would have spent 120-150 bucks in fuel in the truck I now spend $60-$70 in the yaris. PLUS the car payments are lower, insurance is lower then the truck. I have a new car with warranty, road side, 2X the MPG and extra $$$ in the pocket that we can use for toys and travelling. 3 months I we have almost 10,000km already.

As for the SUV guys, If you can afford the monthly payments and insurance on a big SUV or truck chances are you can afford the fuel to.
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 04:23 PM   #14
boxerboy

Drives: WRX ,Tacoma and Yaris
I will just drive my Yaris more.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:39 PM   #15
bulldogs2k

Drives: '00 s2000, 2007 yaris hatch
we changed our lifestyle by taking one car to work. I usually bike to school/gym and i have a motorcycle to save on gas, if the yaris is unavailable. my s2k collects dust now, not that the gas is too expensive, but due to the fact the car is so cramped...
A
bulldogs2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:47 AM   #16
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
1. Years ago, I was quick to jump in the car and drive anywhere. One of my last considerations was cost of fuel when deciding what to do. I find that I'm less apt to take random long trips due to the $10++ cost.

2. Now that I have my Yaris, I've cut my cost of fuel by ATLEAST half. My yaris actually pays for itself in comparison to driving a 21 mpg vehicle like I was doing before (i drive delivery 6 nights a week). And this does not even take into consideration the LONG trips I will inevitably take where I will REALLY save myself some $ (40 mpg vs 23 mpg)

3. I've already seen many car lots with stacks of Tahoes, Durangos, Explorers, Expeditions.... it's already start to hurt the working class / family people. It won't hurt the gas hogs that throw their money around anyway. Atleast they won't see it (cough..morons with huge credit debt making minimum monthly payments..cough)

Now that I can freely drive my new econo-box Yaris, I can do WHATEVER THE HECK I WANT with my other project cars and motorcycles!!! gas efficiency doesn't mean shite on my track/weekend cars