Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #19
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
IMO you shouldn't be drving like this until at least 1k miles. You are not going to get a good seat on your piston rings. You will actually get better compression and milage if you drive the first 1k miles hard with a lot of accelerations to seat the rings.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:51 AM   #20
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
To each his (or her) own, but I have no desire to run my car (a Cobalt, but brand doesn't matter for this discussion) down to the very last drop in the fuel tank.

As someone mentioned earlier, the fuel pump is cooled by the gas in the tank, and running the tank level too low can be harmful to it.

They say that in cold weather it is good to keep the tank above the 1/4 tank level to reduce condensation of moisture in the tank. Where there is no fuel, there is air, and air has moisture in it. When the air cools, it will not hold the moisture, and condensation occurs, which puts water in your gas.

Also, why take the chance of running out of gas?

Maybe I'm just missing something? Why would a person want to run the tank down to the last drop before filling up?

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #21
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I agree. When I see that last bar flash, I'm looking to fill up soon.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:03 PM   #22
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
IMO If you run the tank down to low then yes the fuel pump has no gas to cool it. But you’re more likely to suck the stuff up in the bottom of the tank and on the bright side it should all fall back down as your fill the car up the next time.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:42 AM   #23
captainm27

Drives: 2008 Sedan A/T Silver
Don't worry about the last bar. The blinking just lets you know that it will soon switch to battery power.
captainm27 is offline   Reply With Quote