Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-10-2006, 07:37 PM   #55
Yaris Dick

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 06 VW GTI, 06 G6
Quote:
Originally Posted by twocvforme
Thank You for your experience with STANDARD TRANSMISSIONS!! Yes, I know too that we are experts in the shifting of any vehicle, no less a Yaris... Maybe we know what a real standard should be like and the true enjoyment they can be....... Since Toyota is now working on Service Bulletin for the Standard..They did call today after numerous drives in my vehcile and many stalls and many other complaints from Yaris owners .....I will let you know what the fix will be, since no one else is interested and I would not want to upset the group with the blinders on .............anymore.
Dude, please... you come in here (an enthusiast's forum) with guns a-blazin' and exclamation points flying like bullets at a Baghdad police recruitment seminar (SAFETY ISSUE!!! SAFETY ISSUE!!! SAFETY ISSUE!!!... woop woooop woooooooop!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Then you proceed (in your VERY FIRST post) to inform the masses of an issue that will surely lead to the deaths of MILLIONS of Manual Transmission Yaris owners who will most certainly be crushed to death due to the car's inherently designed inability to launch from standstill due to a defective clutch/throttle design that, based on your experiences, must certainly afflict the entire fleet of Yaris' populating the western hemisphere......

Yadda yadda.

Then most of us debunk you by providing testimony that is in direct conflict with your doomsday scenario....

Then, suddenly, a flock of "one post wonders" show up and provide us MORE evidence that the world is coming to an end because of your problem....

I'd offer this:

1. Perhaps you have a defect in your Yaris.

2. Perhaps your's isn't the only Yaris afflicted.

3. Perhaps Toyota is working on it.

4. Perhaps trying to convince the vast majority of people WITHOUT your problem that they have a problem... is... well.... stupid. Especially in an enthusiast's forum.

I hope you get your issue resolved.
Yaris Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 07:59 PM   #56
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
agree with that, in fact, you've washed my brain... that's it, i'm returning my car lol...
Old 10-10-2006, 08:37 PM   #57
Reddington

Drives: 1995 Corolla DX auto
I've known many people who "can drive a manual" only to stall left and right and claim its the car's fault.
Reddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:37 PM   #58
twocvforme

Drives: Yaris Liftback ...Silver
Enthusiast Forum...?? Don't discuss Std. Trans....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Dick
Dude, please... you come in here (an enthusiast's forum) with guns a-blazin' and exclamation points flying like bullets at a Baghdad police recruitment seminar (SAFETY ISSUE!!! SAFETY ISSUE!!! SAFETY ISSUE!!!... woop woooop woooooooop!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Then you proceed (in your VERY FIRST post) to inform the masses of an issue that will surely lead to the deaths of MILLIONS of Manual Transmission Yaris owners who will most certainly be crushed to death due to the car's inherently designed inability to launch from standstill due to a defective clutch/throttle design that, based on your experiences, must certainly afflict the entire fleet of Yaris' populating the western hemisphere......

Yadda yadda.

Then most of us debunk you by providing testimony that is in direct conflict with your doomsday scenario....

Then, suddenly, a flock of "one post wonders" show up and provide us MORE evidence that the world is coming to an end because of your problem....

I'd offer this:

1. Perhaps you have a defect in your Yaris.

2. Perhaps your's isn't the only Yaris afflicted.

3. Perhaps Toyota is working on it.

4. Perhaps trying to convince the vast majority of people WITHOUT your problem that they have a problem... is... well.... stupid. Especially in an enthusiast's forum.

I hope you get your issue resolved.

You did notice I directed my comments only to those that respond with a similar problem...I'm delighted to think you are so pleased with your vehicle and let's leave the discussion at that...

Just remember some of us our Enthusiast that lean toward perfection and quality of our drive...
twocvforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:53 PM   #59
featherz

Drives: 2007 Liftback Yaris Bayou Blue
I don't think it's the cars fault - I went from a Jeep Wrangler to the Yaris and had a tough time for a while until I got used to it (stalls, etc) - my husband jumped in my car and has never had a problem at all (He has a manual subaru which is also very different from my Jeep). He thinks it drives fine. I am sure some cars may have problems but in my case I am almost positive it's the driver. :P
featherz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 10:32 PM   #60
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Are people really coming on a car forum and blaming the fact that they stall all the time on the clutch? Its TOYOTA people, they've been working on the Yaris for years. It isn't going to roll off the line in its second iteration with a faulty tranny. You people just can't handle the fact that there is no tach and the car is light and likes to roll.

ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:36 AM   #61
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I know, I know, I drive an AUTO, but, I think the stalling problem is due to trying to get the maximum mileage out of the Yaris. If you are feather light on the gas, guess what... stall. Put your foot on that bad boy when starting out and problem solved. It's all in the wrist.... er... ankles. Rev that engine...Burn a little gas. It might cost you an extra $0.30 at the pump, but well worth it.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:28 AM   #62
rocketxr7

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddington
I've known many people who "can drive a manual" only to stall left and right and claim its the car's fault.

I personally did not state it was the cars fault .Just that it is taking some getting use to this clutch and for now I seem to be stalling it way more than normal.

I have been driving standard shift cars for over 25 yrs This one seems a bit touchy to me. Currently I own 8 cars 5 of which are standard shift.the 5 are
'78 K-10 Blazer
'84 Nissan Sentra Wagon
'88 Mazada 626
'01 Echo
'07 Yaris HB

I will state again the Yaris is taking a bit for me to get use to.

Btw other 3 cars are
1980 Mercury Cougar
'90 Plymoth Sundance
2000 Dodge Caravan
rocketxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:31 AM   #63
rocketxr7

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
Are people really coming on a car forum and blaming the fact that they stall all the time on the clutch? Its TOYOTA people, they've been working on the Yaris for years. It isn't going to roll off the line in its second iteration with a faulty tranny. You people just can't handle the fact that there is no tach and the car is light and likes to roll.

Well there is no Tach in my Echo,Nissan or Blazer either . Besides Yaris is not much differant from my Echo
rocketxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 11:56 AM   #64
Darla

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Manual (of course)
No probs w/ my clutch. I had to search high and low to find my Yaris w/ manual transmission.

If you're worried about rolling back on steep inclines, use the emergency break and ride first gear.

Don't give up on the MT--You ain't drivin' unless you're drivin' a stick!
Darla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:57 PM   #65
hackjob
I've made a post!

Drives: 07 Liftback
They are right about the friction being non-existent though.
hackjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 03:40 PM   #66
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitt
agree with that, in fact, you've washed my brain... that's it, i'm returning my car lol...
I'll go one further.. I'll tell the guy who created the car that his car is McFcuked because it's a major safety issue with a manual gearbox.

Anyone read the fable "The boy who cried wolf"?
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:23 PM   #67
Don Mason

Drives: Yaris
Clutch Tip

I love my Yaris Hatch, but the clutch did indeed take a little getting used to.

The Yaris has a very light flywheel, and the engine is so quiet that it can be easy to stall the engine when the car is new. Here's what works for me.

I simply give the throttle pedal a quick small tap before I begin to release the clutch from a dead stop. The throttle by wire tends to hold RPM briefly, so take off from a dead stop becomes much easier, like driving a manual with a larger engine and heavier flywheel.

I've found also that the clutch action improves a great deal as the car breaks in, probably because the pressure plate and flywheel surfaces take on a smooth polish as time goes by.
Don Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:23 PM   #68
Basscat

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan
I'll agree the electronic throttle and touchy clutch took a bit of getting used to, coming from a well broken in "old fashioned" manual in my case, but to call it a safety hazard, unless the OP has a defective Yaris, was a bit much. Part of the problem for me is the engine is so quiet, if there is a noisy vehicle nearby, I can't tell where the engine rpm's are when starting without looking at the tach, which I am still not used to. Blip the throttle and start the clutch, then slowly and steadily throttle up works for me. And I love my Yaris S
Basscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:54 PM   #69
twocvforme

Satey Issue>?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basscat
I'll agree the electronic throttle and touchy clutch took a bit of getting used to, coming from a well broken in "old fashioned" manual in my case, but to call it a safety hazard, unless the OP has a defective Yaris, was a bit much. Part of the problem for me is the engine is so quiet, if there is a noisy vehicle nearby, I can't tell where the engine rpm's are when starting without looking at the tach, which I am still not used to. Blip the throttle and start the clutch, then slowly and steadily throttle up works for me. And I love my Yaris S
The safety issue to us is real simple....my wife has stalled the Yaris in two busy intersections and nearly got creamed in the side...she will not touch the car any longer...she has driven standards for 15 yrs. and loves them. No problem in any gear but first.. We do use your technique,she also turns the radio off and tells people to stop talking...for proper take off. Life is just to short for all this nonsense..

Last edited by twocvforme; 10-13-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:01 PM   #70
mrrock

Drives: yaris 2dr hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by twocvforme
Who has problems with clutch, gas and start off in first gear... ???

Yes, we can do it - but in comparison to the FIT and the Versa....The Yaris idle is so low and the clutch is so touchy.. and with a slight incline one stalls at times ..It's such a simple vehicle..........What a dissappointment.

Please test drive before buying..............

A real discussion topic in many other Yaris forums and many are trading already.........mostly for safety issues with stalling in intersections and or being rear ended..

First, anyone should test drive a car before they get...so your not disappointed
I admit it's a bit touchy taking off but my problem that it doesn't have a tach and the engine is so quite at idle that I have to rev it up before I can engage the clutch. as someone else pointed out the other issue is that the engine revs don't drop which throws your clutch engagment off.
if you think this clutch is touchy you should try driving a Ducati.
mrrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:09 PM   #71
twocvforme

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrock
First, anyone should test drive a car before they get...so your not disappointed
I admit it's a bit touchy taking off but my problem that it doesn't have a tach and the engine is so quite at idle that I have to rev it up before I can engage the clutch. as someone else pointed out the other issue is that the engine revs don't drop which throws your clutch engagment off.
if you think this clutch is touchy you should try driving a Ducati.
We actually drove all 3 - Fit and Versa...our reaction which I think was so typical, must be us and we'll get used to it...Fit clutch and transmission did win, but loved the look of the Hatch...Funny you mention Ducati, we both drive our Aprilla bike..... but have no problems....
Old 10-13-2006, 11:13 PM   #72
Toymaniac
Adm.ClubYarisQuebec.com

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Aero group
yep my problem is solved ...revs on idle were to low....

when ac /defrost was on and radion it was just 350rpm

so now its about 600rpm on idle

2007 Yaris sedan Barcelona Red
TRD Swaybar
TRD Springs
Tanabe Strutbar
Toymaniac is offline   Reply With Quote